Another transducer question

• jwelch
    Iowa

I just bought an hds unit and structure scan. Reading the last transducer post and the installation book, I know they recommend them being within a foot of each other. I was wondering on how even they need to be with each other? Also can you get them too close to each other?

I was thinking put the structure scan in my transom step right ahead of the motor. Would the motor give any interference with the performance of the s. scan?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Ken Sauret
    Paso Robles, California

Hi Jeremy,

I have a Ranger 520 and put my structure scan transducer on the step in front of my motor and there is no interference at all. I have the 2D transducer glassed inside the hull near the bilge pumps and everything is fine. I don’t know the reason for having the two transducers 2 feet apart other than when you split the screens and you’re looking at the downscan and 2D sonar the picture will be showing just about the same thing on both views. Whereas if the transducers are further apart then the view would be too different to compare each to the other.

jwelch
    Iowa

Thanks, Ken

I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Make sure I have everything level and all the angles right.

i didn’t know if the both transducers worked together for downscan or what. I have read where you can overlay data and merge data from downscan and 2-d sonar together so maybe thats why they recommend putting them within a foot of each other.

Another question,
    the tranducer needs to be level with the bottom of the boat. And level crossways acrossed the back. How important it to get the tranducer in a perfect straight line with the boat? The bottom of my transom step is straight in both ways but when you start going out towards the edge of the boat there is a slight angle on the face of the transom step. I can get the tranducer level with the bottom of the hull and level crossways but I’m questioning about how straight it will be front to back with the boat.

Anybody got any advice?

Thanks, Jeremy

Ken Sauret
    Paso Robles, California

The overlay of the 2D sonar pic and the 3D sonar pic you read about is in the settings in the unit. The Structure Scan transducer is a 3 beam transducer, right, left and down so the downscan pic is from the Structure Scan transducer only.

As to the positioning of the Structure Scan transducer I would be more concerned that while you are idling around in your boat that the transducer is parallel with the bottom. For example if you have a heavy motor on your boat and the stern is deeper in the water than the bow while the boat is sitting just make sure the transducer is level when compared to the surface of the water. Then you will get an accurate representation of the bottom on your screen.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.