Line advice

• AlwaysFishing23

Hey guys,

Trolled for pike for last couple years and really enjoy doing it. I have heavy duty setups (cabalas Depthmaster rods and daiwa accudepth 47s). I picked up a few super Shad raps and want to expand my trolling water to mille lacs ect. What line would you guys recommend? I don’t want to go all out and go super heavy duty since I wouldn’t troll for monsters all that often but also don’t want to break off and loose my Shad raps. Also for leaders what’s recommended? Thanks for any info.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I use 80# but also target muskies, I would think 50 or 65 would suffice. Strong leaders, I use 175# flourocarbon normally, probably fine down to 100, but I don’t want to loose fish or lures.
    When I’m just trolling for pike on a local lake I do run my walleye trolling rods with 20# braid and flourocarbon leaders.

Kong

40lb Trilene Big Game. Just have your drag set right

3 foot flourocarbon Muskie leaders. If you are trolling Super Shad raps you probably do not need to go crazy heavy on the leaders. 80lb should do it.

AlwaysFishing23

Thanks guys that gives me a place to start. I will pick up some flouro leaders in the 100lb range and I should be good there. So my next question is I’ve always ran 30lb braid or 15lb Big game for pike. Caught A 38” in thick weeds without issue. But average size is under 30”, is 30lb braid to skinny to feel comfortable with for bigger water?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Should be fine, long as you have a good drag and leader.

AlwaysFishing23

Excellent, I tend to leave my drag on the looser side anyway so hooks don’t get ripped out. I’ll rig up a good leader and troll away.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.