Life span of AGM batteries

• bioguy

I bought a new to me fisherman 1800 last year and upgraded my trolling motor to a new Terrova 80 w/Link. I hooked it up and everything works well, shows full charge, and I can hit about 3mph without wind which I have heard from others is reasonable to expect. I haven’t run it for a long period yet, but I felt like I was still getting plenty of run time with my previous motor. I decided to check the batteries anyway and was really surprised that the two Cabela’s brand AGM batteries are 13(!) years old. From what I have read this is far beyond what most expect, however I know that the boat was not used heavily prior to my purchasing it. Probably 5-10 times a year max. I read that these batteries can handle ~600 discharge/recharge cycles so by that measure they should still have life left, but I can’t get over the fact that they are so old and am tempted to upgrade ($$$). Anyone else had these batteries last this long?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I now have as of last June 3 Interstate AGM’s that replaced my smaller blue top Optima’s that were 8/9 years old. If the new AGM’s that I have preforms as well or better I’m happy. toast

To answer your ? I cannot but, I do think so far that they are worth the extra$. Using my Ulterra to follow contours while on cruse control, they will run my 1950 Lund Tyee for a day and about 2/3’s day while on Lake Oahe with out a recharge. Found that out 2 years ago when I forgot to plug it in one night. sleeping Yet I think I had hit the hay a bit early that evening.

igotone

I got 9 years out of my last set of Cabela’s AGM’s
    I really like them, did not ever take them out of the boat.
    They don’t freeze or leak, you don’t ever have to add fluid to them and they hold a charge all winter. I would hook charger up to them in January and it would kick off in less than 5 minutes.
    I see they have changed the post on them now.
    The 27’s are on sale right now and have free shipping. Last set I got were also plus they had a Cabela’s bucks rebate. They were around 120 bucks each shipped to my house.
    I believe they also have a core charge now. So take an old set with you if you go to a Cabela’s store.

cheers

I am well over 15 years on a non Cabellas brand, but did have an interstate fail after 4 years .

fargotridad

Just make sure to keep them charged over the winter.

cheers

not sure of he brand it was purchased in Canada sorry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.