Interesting rods from St. Croix

• philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

God, rod companies don’t actually understand how to make a split grip ice rod. TUCR does, but the big manufacturers just don’t. I have a fenwick Aetos that is a nice rod, but the ‘split grip’ is not spaced right at all. If you put the exposed rod portion in the crook of your hand, you’ll be holding the rod below the reel, which is completely awkward and uncomfortable.

Take a look at the picture of the guy holding the rod ‘pistol grip’ style. Sure, he’s getting direct contact on his pointer finger, but why the heck would you have the split grip then? There’s no way to get skin to blank contact on that exposed rod towards the butt of the rod unless you want to hold the rod like 3 inches LOWER than the reel sits. It doesn’t make any sense.

It’s 100% a stylistic design choice and has zero functional benefit.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

And then there’s this quote from the article….”To this, Brunner notes that the “contoured and sexy” split-grip configuration is exceptionally comfortable in your hand.”
    And he’s talking about an ice fishing rod or…what exactly is he talking about? shock

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Bothum wrote:</div>
    I’d rather be fishing my Taxes ;)

Dang auto correct… TUCR

LOL! I was wondering, is there some inside joke here or something?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Now if they would just get away from those stainless steel line guides and run some small alconite guides…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.