Info about camping in Voyageurs National Park.

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Where can I find pictures of the campsites??

Start here.
    google Voyagers national park

Welcome to Voyageurs National Park

brad-o
    Mankato

guess we would really need to know the plan and goal of what you want to do. Is it a fishing trip? A family get away? Want to do sight seeing? Plan on going to Kettle Falls? Lots of things to do there and depending on what you would like to do there are lots of sites to recommend.

Also, what are you running for a boat? Some sites require bigger water crossings then others. How much time do you think the little guy can spend in the boat? Will mom be ok at the camp site alone or will she be with all the time? Just the 3 of you or is there a group going?

Dutch, first thank you for all the info. I would say the goal of the trip is just a family get away/getting the little guy camping more. I was thinking 3 nights 4 days total. No hard core fishing, slip bobbering for walleyes for a few hours. Hiking around and playing with the dogs gathering firewood. If it rains, I will have some moves downloaded on my phone from Netflix for quick entertainment.

I am running a 17 foot lund impact. Little guy should be fine for about 2-3 hours of fishing. He loves boat rides so some exploring. My wife is going to sit this trip out. It will just be my son, father in law and dogs.

Kyle hulke

I was also wondering if anyone brings extra gas???

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I was also wondering if anyone brings extra gas???

That depends on where you camp. If you camp on Kabetogama or the west end of Namakin it’s a easy run to a resort for gas. If you get farther away you can bring gas. Again it depends on what you have for a boat & motor. If you have a 16′ with a 6 gallon gas tank then yes you might want to bring gas.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

guess we would really need to know the plan and goal of what you want to do. Is it a fishing trip? A family get away? Want to do sight seeing? Plan on going to Kettle Falls? Lots of things to do there and depending on what you would like to do there are lots of sites to recommend.

Also, what are you running for a boat? Some sites require bigger water crossings then others. How much time do you think the little guy can spend in the boat? Will mom be ok at the camp site alone or will she be with all the time? Just the 3 of you or is there a group going?

Dutch, first thank you for all the info. I would say the goal of the trip is just a family get away/getting the little guy camping more. I was thinking 3 nights 4 days total. No hard core fishing, slip bobbering for walleyes for a few hours. Hiking around and playing with the dogs gathering firewood. If it rains, I will have some moves downloaded on my phone from Netflix for quick entertainment.

I am running a 17 foot lund impact. Little guy should be fine for about 2-3 hours of fishing. He loves boat rides so some exploring. My wife is going to sit this trip out. It will just be my son, father in law and dogs.

Brad I might suggest staying close to the resort area’s. If you get bad weather it might be easier with the little guy to hit a resort for lunch and a change up. Days can get long if you hit rain and everybody is stuck in a tent far from anywhere.

Anyway, it’s your gig, if you have more questions just ask.

Kyle hulke

I’m thinking either sand point or east Namakan and it would be a fishing trip and sight seeing and thanks for all the advice it helps a lot.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m thinking either sand point or east Namakan and it would be a fishing trip and sight seeing and thanks for all the advice it helps a lot.

You are welcome.

Welcome to In-Depth.

On East Namakan, My Island East and My Island South and Your Island campsites each have a really nice sand beach. There’s quite a few others with nice cove beaches in that area.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Brad,
    Here are three sites on west Namakan within 9 miles of the Ash River landing that have beach landings. Namakan island east, wolf pack east, and wolf pack central. All 3 are popular (the two wolf pack sites especially). Torrey fish camp has a huge beach in the bay just behind the site (tho its frequented by houseboats).
    Hamilton island in Junction Bay also has a sand landing and would fit your criteria also. On east Kab I’ve stayed at Round Bear which has a sand cove for a landing and is very close to the Ash river, and lost bay island site which has a sand landing but not really a beach area (just big enough to pull up 2 boats).
    For gear we have a screen tent that the picnic table goes inside of for all weather cooking. Good cabelas Alaskan guide tent. Camp chairs.
    First I’d find a site that’s open, then go from there as far as gear goes. I’d definitely try to get up to Kettle Falls one day. Really nice ride and a cool place to spend a couple/ three hours at. It’s 12 miles from the ash river landing, and about 8 from the Wolf Pack islands.
    There are other sand sites on the east end of Namakan but for a first trip, I’d stick closer to a landing just in case. And as far as Sand Point I’m not familiar with the sites down that way coming in from Crane lake.

Sonny

Hello,
    First time on this forum. So I booked a few days camping on Namakan in late June. I’ve done plenty of bwca trips but have never been to Voyageurs. Looking forward to no paddling! I reserved n37 sandbar point looks like a decent site according to the pics. Is there anything you can tell me about this site? also looking for advice on how to fish the lake for walleye? And getting there? Looks like the shortest route is from crane vs ash river. Any advice would b greatly appreciated since this is my sons bday present so I want things to go as smoothly as possible. Thanks.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Welcome to In-Depth.

Go to you tube and search sandbar point, there is a 5 minute video of the site. You will like the site!!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Sonny,
    I’ve camped at a few of the sites on the East end of Nam, and even met the guy that made the you tube video of Sandbar point while he was filming it.
    You will like the site, it is in a protected bay and has a nice dock for loading/unloading. South exposure from the tent pads, and a west exposure from the beach. About the only thing I didnt like about the site, was the placement of the fire pit. Between the beach and camp area, in a grassy area. I really like them overlooking the water, but understand why they put it there (not a ton of extra room at the site with how it had to be configured.
    Coming from Crane is the shortest, just have a good map chip and an understanding of running the bouys on the lake. You will be going downstream as you go to camp (green on your right, red on your left). There are 3 narrows you will go thru (King Williams, Harrison and Namakan) on your way there. Namakan narrows can be a bit bumpy as its curvy and not that wide. Coming from Ash River is longer and the section of Namakan from Jug island to the east end is big water and can get very rough.
    End of June, walleyes are usually transitioning to the reefs. When I go over the 4th most years, I start looking in 18-21′ and go from there. Some reefs nearby are all around Pat Smith island and the 3 sisters complex further west. Two summers ago we stayed at Rainbow island site, and caught eyes and saugers off the north end of the island. I’d also spend some time casting for smallies, there are tons of rocky shorelines to cast to and will provide action on smallies and pike (and an eye once in awhile). I throw #5 flicker shads and do well for action.
    Most folks will be either lindy rigging or pulling spinners for walleye, and I have both crawlers and leeches with me.
    My son has been camping up in Voyageurs since he was 6 weeks old, hope you and yours have a great trip!

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

I have a place by Crane and would post a reply but it would be identical to what Xplorer just posted. If you want you can PM me when it gets closer to when you are going and I can give you an up to date report on the fishing.

brad-o
    Mankato

Just got back from my first trip to voyageurs. I had my son 4 and my father in law. We stayed at Williams Island South. Site was very nice we had wind to keep the bugs back only got bit at night. It was a great trip. Weather was good only a half day of rain. We caught plenty of fish nothing deeper then 12 feet.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Glad to hear the three of you had a good trip and caught fish too! That Moose Bay Area is good early season. Williams south is my in-laws favorite site, flat and easy unloading. I’ve spent quite a few nights at Williams North site (was the first person to camp there in fact) and always found eyes and lots of smallies around close.
    I’m heading to the east end of Rainy on the 4th for a week, can’t wait to be back up there!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.