Warm Hands

• Chris
    Rochester, MN

Whether fishing in 25 to -25 degree temperatures the only parts of me that ever get cold are my feet if I’m stationary too long (easy enough to fix) and my hands.
    Obviously hand wear that lets you easily manipulate your fingers to use your equipment (zippers, reels, etc) and something that stays dry fish after fish is important. I have seen discussions on boots, layers and bibs but what does everyone use to keep their hands warm that also meet the above-stated demands? This is one area where, for me, price point doesn’t matter since it is what can save a trip.

Chris

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

hand warmers in the gloves

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

hand warmers in the gloves

That and bringing several gloves along, I use one pair of lighter gloves to fish with and a pair of heavy gloves to warm hands should they get cold.
    Keeping the hand warmers in each helps quite a bit.

Al

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I personally have a couple of dry towels I bring along to dry my hands after touching a fish. Getting away any moisture from your exposed hands while ice fishing is key to keeping your hands warm. Another plus for snosuit is they have a fleece like liner inside the pockets on jacket and bibs, I use this to wipe/dry my hands as well. I also keep those hand warmers inside a pocket just to add a little extra warmth now and then.

Under armour has a glove called UA Fleece Glove(under the liner section) that actually has a pocket on the back side of your hand where you can insert a hand warmer as well. I found these gloves are light, comfortable, and warm. Keeping the wind off your hands plays a huge role as well, these UA gloves do just that.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

A hand Muff with a chemical hand warmer in it. I switch hands back and forth while warming the other one. Gloves limit my dexterity to much, but I do like the Rapala gloves. They seem to work pretty good. Rapala Gloves

Hand Muff

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I’m lucky that my hands don’t get very cold. So, I usually fish bare handed and keep one in my coat pocket. When it gets really cold, I like to use batting gloves. It is amazing how that little layer can keep the chill off, but still allow for high levels of tactile manipulation.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Muff or kangaroo pouch with warmers in it, or a rice bag that has been microwaved (or potato!). I figure my hands are in there 80% of the time, the other 20% I like bare hands to manipulate stuff.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

” a rice bag that has been microwaved (or potato!).”

lhprop1
    Eagan

I just stick my hands down my pants. According to my wife, that’s where the fire is!

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

Hand muff for hunting and fishing.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I just stick my hands down my pants. According to my wife, that’s where the fire is!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Quote:

And what’s all this talk about muffs? Geez guys….

jsfishin
    Urbana, IA

I really don’t like to be cold. I’ve recently purchased a

pair of Ice Armour MITTENS, and I have a pair or two of

those cheap brown jersey gloves, and a towel.

Keep the hands warm with those mittens, and dry for the most part with the towel and jersey gloves.

Those mittens were on sale for $15.00, Red Rock Store.com.

a very good deal for comfortable hands…

Hope this helps.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

The same company that keeps me warm does a great job keeping my hands warm too. SnoSuit Gauntlet Gloves
    although I don’t wear them all of the time but if I start feeling like my hands need more protection I reach for my gauntlets. Normally I just wear some jerseys and when it is windy I may put on leather gloves over the jerseys. BTW I buy jerseys in the 12 pack so I have several dry pair waiting in the wings. Just like clothing you don’t want them to be tight, looseness allows for more heat storage and does not restrict blood flow.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

” a rice bag that has been microwaved (or potato!).”

Buy some cheap socks post hunting season. Fill cheap socks with cheap rice, yeah, rice. Lentils and beans work too. Fill sock, knot end. Microwave before you go out, say 6-8 minutes, if it smokes too long. Put filled microwaved sock in kangaroo pouch. Warm hands all day. Even better, drape around your neck and shoulders after drilling 147 holes.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Well lets just say it,…..

Theres nothing that is going to keep your hands warm in all conditions. I can’t jig with mittens, even the gloves are a pain!

You touch that wet fish with your bare hands and its all over

I’ve become smarter and use a heater. The heater I’m refering to is the small style that you really cant find anymore. ITs a sunflower heater that attaches right to a 1lb tank. Its small enough that I can pack it in my rod bag. I just like to keep it within 50 yds of me.

This way, everything stays dry and warm. Not to say I havn’t burned the hair off the knuckles a few times though!

THis is how I usually operate,….gloves on, gloves off,gloves on, gloves off,gloves on, gloves off

Three Crappies, Three minutes

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Nice video Matt. Was that a swedish pimple you were using?

arklite881south

Very Cool Clip Matt!!

Keep dipping your hands in the warm water thumb clamping lips!! Warmer than air temps.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

Nice video Matt. Was that a swedish pimple you were using?

Yes I believe it was.Good eye. I need to stop taking video in HD 1080

cdn
    West Central, MN

Quote:

Yes I believe it was.Good eye. I need to stop taking video in HD 1080

No, that’s great quality and love the music!

For cold hands while hole hopping, I’ve been quite a fan of Ice Armor thin gloves I received as a gift some years ago. They are warm, waterproof and I can handle fish well with them.

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

I think that I am going to get a pair of those this year. I have read reviews and people seem to love them. I usually keep my hands warm by the in and out of the pocket routine with a thiner glove on my rod hand. Seems to work and on the really cold days you cant beat handwarmers in the pockets.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Last Friday I made my weekly stop at cabelas to check on somet hings I don’t need. I was in the gloves section and saw an interesting pair of gloves that looked cool. I noticed these babies had a $125 price tag on them. Turns out they were Mountainier gloves and were design with 2 hand pockets. One was cooler than the other and designed for times when you’d be sweating the other was just plain warm. My curiousity is starting to getting to me. But $125!!! Anyone have a pair of these I can borrow?, just so I can say I tried them out

Wouldn’t want to leave those sitting on the bumper!

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Wouldn’t want to leave those sitting on the bumper!

No kidding… $125? So maybe price point does matter a little That crappie video is getting me anxious for ice. Good one.

Thanks for all of the ideas everyone.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

This solution is not for everyone, but it works for me…cheap latex gloves. These are the kind you might use when painting and you can get them in a box of 100 for ~$7 at Menards, Lowes, etc. They are super thin and allow you to maintain dexterity and touch and they KEEP YOUR HANDS DRY. You can slip your warming gloves over them when needed. Most of the time the heat retention of the latex and the fact my hands are dry allow me to fish without any warming gloves. Not for anyone, but a cheap solution to try. A more expensive, but more durable glove of similar nature are true surgical gloves.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

This solution is not for everyone, but it works for me…cheap latex gloves. These are the kind you might use when painting and you can get them in a box of 100 for ~$7 at Menards, Lowes, etc. They are super thin and allow you to maintain dexterity and touch and they KEEP YOUR HANDS DRY. You can slip your warming gloves over them when needed. Most of the time the heat retention of the latex and the fact my hands are dry allow me to fish without any warming gloves. Not for anyone, but a cheap solution to try. A more expensive, but more durable glove of similar nature are true surgical gloves.

I know a guy that uses this tactic with great success…I just don’t share a flipover with him!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

I know a guy that uses this tactic with great success…I just don’t share a flipover with him!

Maybe that is why people steer clear of me when I am on the ice

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

You guys, you just made me laugh out loud and now my co-worker is looking at me like I am crazy.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

My wife is an RN. Just asked her to get me a pair of surgical gloves. You don’t want to know about her thoughts on using them. Am I fishing or?????

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I swung into cabelas again tonight, they have the $139 gloves I referenced on sale for 49.99!!

I bought them. We’ll see about this 139 dollar tag. They are Grandoe Technical Outdoor

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.