auger not starting

• andy-johnson
    Milwaukee, WI

Tried to fire up my 7 year old Strikemaster today and I could not get it to fire. I have always run the gas empty in the spring every year and I have never had any issues. I am thinking it might be the spark plug since it is the original. I will get a new plug tomorrow and try that. I did spray some WD-40 on the on/off (kill) toggle switch on the engine before I tried to start it because last season I could not kill the engine with the switch so I had to choke it all the time to kill the engine. I was told that the WD-40 on the switch might fix it. I was wondering if it did the opposite and thats why I can’t get it to start. Any ideas if the spark plug doesn’t work? Not sure how I would replace the kill switch with out taking apart the engine if that is the issue. Any other ideas?

Tyee
    Greater St Michael Area

Take the plug out and reattach the plug wire. Prop the end of the plug against the motor housing somewhere to get a good ground and pull the recoil a couple of times to see if there is any spark. No spark could mean your switch is stuck in the “off” position. If there is spark then you have a fuel problem.

mojogunter

Another good way to check for spark without pulling the plug out, is have your wife pinch the end of the plug wire while you give it a pull or two. If she jumps and curses you out at least you know it has spark.

andy-johnson
    Milwaukee, WI

I tried what you said and I don’t get a spark, bad switch? or could it be the plug is bad? If it is the switch, any pointers for changing the switch.

Tyee
    Greater St Michael Area

I would guess switch.

…..deleted

Correction- Chucker is correct….switch will ground the ignition when you shut it off. Cut the wire as he suggests.

Unless the plug itself is cracked, I doubt it would be so weak to not show a spark. you could short the 2 wires that go to the switch (temporary) to see if you get a spark.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Find the wire going to the switch and either trace it to its grounding point or simply cut the wire. My switch crapped out so i removed it and just choke her dead. One less point of failure as far as i am conserned.
    The spark plug could be bad too, with the plug removed put your finger in the plug boot and SLOWLY pull the engine over if you dont get bit pull a bit harder next time till you hopefully get bit. Remember the harder you pull the hotter the spark, if its working properly. -Mark

hanson

Whenever something doesn’t start for me, I pour or spray a bit of gas directly into the cylinder. Screw the plug back in and give it a rip. If she fires, you know you have spark and don’t have to worry about that.

If she doesn’t keep running after that (sometimes takes repeating step 1 many times), you more than likely have a dirty carb and either need a cleaning or a rebuild. The carbs on these little motors also act as the fuel pump and its often that diaphragm that dries out.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

The switch is pretty easy, replaced mine last year. Hardest part is taking it apart to get to the switch. Gas tank, carb, and the top holding the pull start need to come off, at least it did with mine. While I was there, I replaced the starter rope as well.

Bring the switch up to the hardware store and get a new one, test before you put everything back together!!

Jami

andy-johnson
    Milwaukee, WI

Got if fixed! I found a new switch down the road at a local power equipment shop and installed the new switch and it started up right away. Love it! Replacing the old switch wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, just had to remove the gas tank and then pull up the engine cap and then I had the access I needed. Thanks for the help guys! Any pointers for painting the auger???

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.