Where do you winter fish?

• Outfitter17
    Lower Manitou Lake, Ont.

I posted this same question in the canada section, but it may be more suited for this section.

Alot of memebers have posted where they fish in the summer, I was just wondering where you guys take your winter trips?

What is the main focus of species in the winter?

Does it differ from the main species in the summer, if so why?

Do you like the adventure of snowmobiling out to the camp/resort then snowmobiling to your fishing holes or do you like to drive your truck to the cabin and have the camp transport you out to your fishing destination and back for the day?

I prefer bass/walleyes in the summer, but lakers in the winter.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

My true fishing is done in the warmer months but when I do ice fish I tend to stick close to home panfishing but on the nicer days I may venture out on the road to find and explore new ice.

This year my goal is to find ice with walleye/pike under it.

I would love to go up north and icefish but the funds just dont allow it and I am not sure if I would come back if I did

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Great question!

I myself spend most of the winter season working on Upper Red Lake plowing roads, running rentals and guiding. Although when it comes time for those trips off the big red pond I want to fish for anything but walleye or pike. I want to change it up a little and learn new tricks and tactics such as bluegill fishing. I bet I can count on both hands the number of decent bluegills I have ever caught through the ice, I could use some practice. I want to fish deep water for lakers, find schools of whitefish or anything new. More often then not I find myself looking to Canada for these opportunities as I can pack in lakers, panfish and who knows what else within a few miles of camp.

When I do make these trips I like to hit them ultra mobile. I want to stay in the cabin or sleeper house and run out with sleds to points unknown, make some mistakes and go to some of the wrong places making it all that sweeter when you do hit them. What I do not want to do is stack into a bombardier and get dropped of at stations then picked up at 5 pm on the button and delivered to the door safe and sound. I want to get lost in the dark and give my buddies heck for not reading the map right, see who can find the slush with the sled and just how well this and that new gadget works.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My winter fishing is spent on the river in the boat. THat is as long as the river is open. Ice fishing is mostly with in a hours drive of home hear just north of the Twin Cities. This is chasing crappies and a few sunfish.

stuart
    Mn.

Pool 4,I hate drilling holes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.