GPS options

• witte
    West Salem, WI

Not sure if this has been discussed lately but I have some Cabelas gift cards and am wanting to get a GPS so I can find the HOT tip holes again and again. Will a low end GPS be sufficient – like the garmin etrex H for around $100?? How accurate are these things – 3, 9, 20 ft?? Anyone have any experience with these. I don’t need all the bells and whistles but would like to get within a few feet of my previous spot.

Thanks,
    Dave

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

if i am thinking correctly, the location isnt based on the unit, its based on satellite strength. you should have a good reading as long as theres no interference from the sats.

then again, signal strength depends on whether you can receive it properly too..

for what its worth, i’d highly recommend looking at the lawrance h2o or h2oC. they are def worth the money compared to the other handhelds out there. plus the functionality of just popping in a lakemaster when you can afford one makes life easy!

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Dave, for what you would like to use your GPS for, you will get great utility from a low end unit that is WAAS enabled. For the greatest accuracy potential it must be WAAS enabled. Garmin provides a nice WAAS tutorial HERE

cts
    winneshiek county IA

i just had to decide the same thing went and looked at them and decided on the e trex its suppose to be accurate to 9 feet and saves 500 way points talked to a salesmen at gander mountain and was told that if all you want is to save way points not to spend the money on a “better” unit unless you fish lakes where you can get the maps and down load them to the unit

whiskeyandwater
    ????

I just got a H2O for Christmas, Still learning as I go, but So far so good. I will be picking up my LM chip this weekend, and giving her a good test the 23rd-25th. I will say this though if I didn’t think it was worth it’s price I wouldn’t be spending the $100 on a LM chip.

Not to Hijack this thread, but does anyone ever get locked on to the WAAS with their H2O? Maybe this will be better as I get out on to more lakes with it, but I can’t seem to lock onto WAAS for anything. ( however I have mainly been using it in the car as of lately which I know could be my problem.) Although with out it I usually am in the error range of 30′ or so.

witte
    West Salem, WI

Thanks for the info guys!

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I have the Expedition C rather than the H2O, but I lock onto WAAS quite regularly.

JD

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I have had an H2O for several years–had it stolen from me this summer and had the opportunity to look at many new options from Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, Brunton. For handheld GPS with WAAS, I returned to H2O based on the biggest bang for the buck. Lakemaster chips make it unbeatable under $200. Etrex screens are too small to view much in the way of detail.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I also reccommend the H20 model. Whatever one you get make sure it takes map/lake chips or you will end up wishing you bought one that did. Thanks, Bill

Amuzme2
    Oakland County- Michigan

I have a Garmin 60CSx and really like it. It is a color unit and very easy to use.

Alittle more than $100.00, but like everything else, once you have a GPS you will want to update to something better!

beckzl32

I WOULD GET AN H2O I HAVE BOTH I LIKE THE H2O BETTER

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Quote:

Not to Hijack this thread, but does anyone ever get locked on to the WAAS with their H2O? Maybe this will be better as I get out on to more lakes with it, but I can’t seem to lock onto WAAS for anything. ( however I have mainly been using it in the car as of lately which I know could be my problem.) Although with out it I usually am in the error range of 30′ or so.

I use my H2Oc in the truck quite a bit with a windshield mount, and i usually only get “3D” signal. but in the boat or on the ice i almost always get WAAS signal. I think it may have something to do with the interference from all metal on the car, or maybe the higher speeds being traveled, and there is always more “cover” around a road then out on the water.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just ordered an IFinder HuntC with Lakemaster chip & ATV mount. Back ordered for 2 weeks Can’t wait to try it out. I will be putting deer doo doo on all my hot fishing spots

big G

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I’ve been trying for 3 weeks or so to order a H2O…..
    Seems like everybody is back ordered on these

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.
    Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Thanks Perch….
    I looked on e-bay etc. but I really do not need the C….
    I would be more than happy with a new H2O….That way it would leave me with money enough for a Lakemaster chip….

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Yes…I lock on to WAAS most of the time with mine. In fact, as I sit here in my office on the top floor of our home, I am locked in WAAS mode right now. This is not always the case but it happens more often than not for me. The fun part with these is scouting areas in the backwaters to fish without leaving home…very kewl little units.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Thanks guys. I got my LM chip Saturday,and finally got to use the H20 on the ice. I was locked on WAAS Almost instantly. Love the H20 and love it evwen more with the LM. 2 weeks from now I will give the 2 of them a real work out.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.