Just hafta

• eyebuster
    Duluth

I just have to get this off my chest. Last night and tonight I was fishing spots that are not a secret. So there were plenty of open holes drilled. Right in prime time a group came out both days and decided the holes that were still open were not good enough. And had to drill there own with an auger that would bog down and made one heck of a noise. Now I am not sure if this scares away fish but for the love of god people get out there ealier or use an open hole.

Sorry just had to get that off my chest!!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yeah, you always hear about that happening on the bigger lakes, but it happens here on the river as well. Nothing I hate worse than for someone to come in at 5:00 and drill holes right next to your shack so they can hole hop Especially when there are already 15 open holes all around

wisconeye
    Vernon County Wisconsin

I agree, why not just fish the open holes, but more than once I’ve seen someone sitting thirty feet from an open hole go over to someone that drops a line into it and say “did you drill that hole?” and claim it’s theirs.

Once a guy did this to me and I was at least fifty feet away from where he had been fishing, my reply, next time you leave …pick up your hole and take it with you.

Just a sign of the times I guess, too bad.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You do make a good point there. In the area I have been fishing, people are fishing really tight together. If I drill a bunch of holes early and I am set up on a hole in my shack, the holes I drilled are free to use. If I am hole hopping, if the guy is decent, I have no problem letting them hit the holes. But, I have seen the situation you mentioned before.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I like it when guys drill holes a little ways away (not right next door, maybe 40-50 yards), at least when I’m fishing for Pike/Walleye. I usually get a bite soon thereafter.

I’ve noticed on Mille Lacs, fishing during the week is really slow at the permanent when there’s less traffic. I think traffic and hole drilling moves those fish around…

wisconeye
    Vernon County Wisconsin

Keyword–DECENT. Isn’t funny how you can almost always tell just by how someone approaches things. I’ve met some great people on the ice over the years and then I’ve met a few of the, well you know.

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

That has never happened to me. Must be because I am such a bad

If I go to a hole thats in the immediate area of another person I will make conversation or just ask him if he minds. I have never recieved a negative response.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

While sitting in a hut I’ve seen countless times fish making a mad dash when the power augers are fired up. Takes them awhile to settle down. As far as open holes,I could never care less if people drop their lines in a hole that I cut earlier,you can only fish em one at a time anyway. It is nice to see them cut a few of there own though . Usually everyone is understanding on the ice but you always have a few bad eggs who think there holes are private property-lighten up! As far as people drilling next to you there is’nt to much a guy can do,typical ice fisherman always think “well mabe THIS wil be the hot hole”then proceed to auger right next to you -frustrating!

trapperdirk
    Burk's Falls,Ont, Canada

The lads that tick me off at times are ones that return to their perms after two weeks absence during primetime and start trying to pound with a chisel through 2 ft of ice . If your in a perm closeby the pounding echoes in it and gives me a headache if it continues on and on . I usually holler over and ask them if they want me to open up there holes with either of my power augers and most are grateful but you do meet the odd bullheaded, stubborn s.o.b .

As far as using any open holes I drilled go right ahead anytime as I drill more than I ever get too especially now with that speed demon the Nils not that my Jiffy is a slouch but it is a heavy brute to lug in deep snow or slush .

I do like my space though but the lake is as much yours as it is mine so lets just catch fish and not worry about marking our territory as I’m not interested in staking out the whole lake but can if push comes to shove . LOL

TD

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.