Lx 7 settings and setup

• buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Curious about what settings you guys with the lx 7 for the sensitivity and screen set ups I know it’s been posted here before but cant find it in the archives I may be jumping the gun but trying to speed the learning curve up

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

I am new to the unit but I have the sens. between 8-11, target 0-3, range on auto or dynamic, and zoom on auto. seems to work. I haven’t figured out everything on it yet or really how to translate the signals yet but last Saturday was a good day and I was putting everything together. Have fun with it!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Everyone will have their own preferences for screen set up after using the 7 but here’s how I set up mine.

Zoom bar on left hand side set to 5′ zoom window, in most cases.

Circular flasher in center with gauges at the bottom.

I like the night mode / black background.

I set my display to 6 color palette. If I’m fishing small baits I’ll start my sensitivity in the 7 – 9 range. Larger baits it will be less. Adjust from there once you get a bait in the water.

My IR will be set to 4 to start and I rarely need to touch the IR button under any circumstances.

If I’m fishing outside I’ll have screen brightness at 40% or so. Less inside.

I’m still a manual range guy so I set mine for the range closest to the max depth and leave it there.

I don’t use Target Adjust much so most of the time I leave it at the default setting 99% of the time.

Once you get a set up you like don’t forget that you can go into the menu and “save” your screen configuration so it is always available to you should you start tweaking further and prefer your original settings.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Very very similar settings for me as James except that I typically start with my sensitivity at 10-12 and adjust down from there… Reason being that prefer to adjust down rather than up so I start with a higher setting I almost always know where my spoon is right away.

I also usually adjust the depth range manually… Except for one specific case. When I’m in shallower than 10 FOW using the dynamic depth increases your ability to use the full 360 degrees of your flasher. This will resize your flasher window so that you are always fully utilizing your available screen space.

As far as the screen layout I change what I prefer based on target species and depth. If I’m fishing suspended fish such as crappies I find that I usually like to go with just an old school flasher and gauges. However when I’m fishing walleyes or anything else relating to the bottom I go with a showdown style verticle zoom window set to the bottom 5′ coupled with the chart mode… The zoom window is what I use for watching for bites but the chart window gives me about 30 seconds of history showing exactly how the fish react to my jig/spoon movements which helps shorten the learning curve

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have the 9 – not the 7. Assuming the sonar aspect is the same?? here is a shot of my screen for crappie fishing the open basin. The mark on the screen is about 2″ long perch. Sensitivity was a little on the high side. But, I can see tiny jig separated from the perch with NO PROBLEM

Thought the pic would show the settings better. Sens = 12 to 15 to start. I like it stronger to start and back down as (if) needed – IR=3 Traget = 0, and auto or manual pending the depth fluctuation. If its consistent depth, I go manual. if I’m scouting various depths then auto

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Thanks guys going to go figure it out tomorrow on Pool 10 don’t want to look like a Gomer in front of my cousin on devils lake on Saturday

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Great info here, I love my LX7 so far. One thing that I feel would improve the unit is the ability to save multiple configurations and simply press and hold a button to change to the pre-saved set-ups, similar to how Hummingbird has the buttons on their open water graphs. Also, it would be nice to have the option to move the different viewing options to different locations on the screen (i.e. Vertical zoom left, chart middle, vertical flasher right).

James – any chance the guys at Marcum are evaluating something like that?

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

What settings do you prefer for gill fishing in the weeds??

castle-rock-clown

Quote:

What settings do you prefer for gill fishing in the weeds??

Depends on whether its a Wednesday or a Thursday…just joking.
    I believe what you see guys here adjusting their settings to are their bait which is the lowest common denominater. Unless you see your bait you can’t judge how the fish are reacting to it. And since your bait is smaller than the fish if you can see it on your unit the fish will also be seen if there. On my marcum I start with all my settings at zero and adjust my sensetivity up till I get a good bottom read. At that time your lure should also show up. To get a better return on it adjust up your target adjustment. If there are other units in the nearby area the interference might need adjustment up to clear the clutter. Demo is nice practice, but on the water is most beneficial to learning your unit. Good luck.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.