Attaching reel to TUCR

• josh a

So I got a precision rod for x-mas, and I finally picked out a reel for it, An Abu Garcia Cardinal 300. The question is what is the best way to attach the reel to the rod? BTW, this rod looks and feels awesome! I can’t wait to catch my first walleye on it

BBKK
    IA

frabill reel tape.

140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

A buddy uses castrating rubber bands from Fleet Farm. Seem to work well.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

In general I use a few wraps of electrical tape or something similar. Some talk about the ring that is put on the handle when you use tape however I do not switch out reels so this is not an issue. I have tried the castration rings and did not like the feel of them.

igotone

scotch +33 electrical tape

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

X2

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Quote:

Quote:

X2

X3

Stickman12

I have a DH custom noodle with the castration rings and a DH perch pounder with the frabill reel tape. I prefer the rings. The reel doesn’t move a bit.

MNEric90
    Shakopee, MN

I use castration rings on the majority of my TUC. I use 2 rings above the reel and 3 below

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I use 3M Coban. It only sticks to itself. No residue

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Use self sticking tape from any hardware store. Stretch it tight and it will only grip to itself, none of the sticky residue from electrical tape or indentations in the cork handle from castration rings.

It will hold the reel solid as a rock, just give it 4-5 wraps or more.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Use self sticking tape from any hardware store. Stretch it tight and it will only grip to itself, none of the stick residue from electrical tape or indentations in the cork handle from castration rings.

It wi hold the reel solid as a rock, just give it 4-5 wraps or more.

X2

Wall-I-Guy

I also use electrical tape but really hate the sticky residue that it csan leave. I found a way to get around this by first wrapping the rod and reel with the tape adhesive side out. This will cause it to stick to itself and not gum up the cork handle. I find this particularly valuable on a rod as costly as the TUCRs. After wrapping sticky side out flip the tape around and wrap sticky side down. Be careful not to wrap over where you wrapped upside down or you will defeat the purpose. I find that wrapping just a little short with a little upside down adhesive is showing is better than overwrapping because this little piece will soon no longer be sticky.

On another note. I am now a week in with my new TUCR Precision and love it. I caught some really dinky perch on it and felt the bite clearer than any other rod I have ever fisher. The sesitivity and action on it are simply second to none. Hope you enjoy your new toy.

hawkeye27

if you use electrical tape wrap the first layer so sticky side is facing out. This prevents the cork handle from getting chewed up and keep it looking new.. I have done it works nicely

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

I have the same rods and the castrating rubber bands are perfect. TUCR actually have them or Fleet Farms I am sure work pretty much the same.

Egts

Definitely castration bands. They cost about $2 for 100. You only need 2 per side when attaching the reel, but I put 3 per side incase one would break…..better piece of mind. I also usually hook the hook of my lure on the last band closest to the butt of the rod. Works great to truly secure the jig. When it starts getting cut up, just replace it.

fisherman-andy

I am actually over the castration ring bands thingy. Their great at securing your reel to the rod handle. But they also damage, warp and degrade the cork handle unless you have something like a carbon fiber graphite handle etc.

I recommend sticking with silicone self infusing tape (same thing as Frabill reel tape) and or coban medical wraps. Another option to try is thin velcro wrap allowing you to freely remove or swap your reels if needed.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Use self sticking tape from any hardware store. Stretch it tight and it will only grip to itself, none of the sticky residue from electrical tape or indentations in the cork handle from castration rings.

It will hold the reel solid as a rock, just give it 4-5 wraps or more.

Sent you a PM.

Wizdumb

FWIW, I think Thorne Bros had a demo video on reel wrapping, and they suggested to put a layer of masking tape first to secure the reel to handle, then go over a few passes with electric/silicone tape. I think the masking tape protects the cork handle better from getting chewed up.

artifishal

I run mainly electrical tape on all of my custom rods. It’s not like the fish cares about what my cork looks like correct?

Walleye-Willie
    Minnesota

Yes the castration bands do work good hard to put on use 4 of them put them on first having someone assist makes it much easier.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I attached my reel to my Precision rod with standard Electrical tape. I put a layer or two of masking tape down first and then covered it with electrical tape. I’m not a huge fan of the castration bands but that’s always an option too!

tucrs
    NW Metro

Use the tool designed for bands. We have a tool available to use.

duke.harbaugh

Electrical tape. I mean really who cares about cork. I have removed tape off of multiple rods and the higher quality rods seem to have a better quality cork. Just a sticky residue.that you cover back up qith tape when you put a reel back on…. its my last $.02…

renegadewalleye

How would you be able to put the Rings on a split grip rod.

Egts

To put the castration rings on a split grip, you have the best success with the band tool that looks kind of like a pliers. It spreads the band large enough to slide the rod tip through for the front bands. Then use the tool to put the rear bands on. The tool is about $10 at any farm supply store. With doing several rods, it was the best $10 I spent.

As others have noted, the bands deform the cork over time. Some cork is better than others, but I’ve got rods from TB, TUC and DH all with deformed cork due to bands being left in place for a period of time. It’s not the end of the world, but I think there are better options that don’t deform cork.

I can post some pics of castration bands in action if anybody needs to see that.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Just ordered my cold snap reel wrap kit for my TUCR and JM meatsticks. Comes with enough bands for 4 combos and a tool. From Sidewinderoutdoors.com $7 total with shipping

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.