Advice on a power auger?

• dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

My fishing partner and I had a good year tournament fishing. We want to reward ourselves with a gas auger. We are looking for a 6 inch max and as light as possible. We will fishing the Mississippi river backwaters so deep ice wont be a huge factor. It will ride in a hover craft so we want it fairly light. We love to hole hop and drill a ton of holes so max number of holes from a tank of gas is a factor. I’m leaning towards the strike master lite. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan

shaley
    Milford IA

Nils/Tanaka will be the lightest…. I drill alot of holes a season with my 8″ and use about 1/2 gal of gas….

bronzbak
    Long way from home

6″ nils with a 36v Bosch cordless and 4 batteries!! No need for a stinky loud power auger! 4 batteries and that setup is about 230 holes through 24″ of ice!

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

forget the gas auger and check out the new Clam drill/auger conversion kit. you can get it with the conversion plate and the auger or the conversion plate only if you have a hand auger and drill to put on it. the recommend drill is any drill that is 18 volts or more and has a 3ah battery. this was tested with a dewalt 20volt drill and a 18 volt Panasonic drill and the 6″ clam hand auger bit. this setup will drill about 40 holes through 16 inches of ice on a single full charge. the total thickness added up equaled about 700 inches. almost forgot this complete set up with the drill is around 14 LBS.

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

I have the drill set up was just looking at a gas auger for those late winter days. If you get 40 holes through 16″ of ice I will buy you a case of beer. There is no way on a single charge especially with a clam head. I’ve had them on a 5 inch lazer and a 6 inch nils head. If I get 30 I would be lucky. I don’t have a shack so keeping the batteries warm is not an option. Please gas auger comments only!!!!

riverbank-rat
    River Falls, WI

PM sent, sorry about suggesting another electric drill model, they make good lightweight gas models as well that will annihilate a few feet of ice!

jsrevermann
    Central MN

I have the Honda Stikemaster with the 8″ auger. I used it all last season and love this auger. Starts easy, cuts quick, and is very light for popping a ton of holes.

tswoboda

Quote:

Nils/Tanaka will be the lightest…. I drill alot of holes a season with my 8″ and use about 1/2 gal of gas….

X2 on the Nils w/ Tanaka powerhead. It has the noise and weight of the Honda 4 stroke with the speed of the Solo 3 hp. The Tanaka powerhead that comes with a Nils is an industrial motor with an adapter to attach to the Nils auger, most durable and problem free auger powerhead on the market. In my experience the shaver blade of the Nils also stays sharp longer than other brands.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Dan,
    I live in Prairie du Chien
    next time you’re in town stop over check out my Strikemaster with the Honda motor

hamms
    Mn

Quote:

Quote:

X2 on the Nils w/ Tanaka powerhead. It has the noise and weight of the Honda 4 stroke with the speed of the Solo 3 hp. The Tanaka powerhead that comes with a Nils is an industrial motor with an adapter to attach to the Nils auger, most durable and problem free auger powerhead on the market. In my experience the shaver blade of the Nils also stays sharp longer than other brands.

X3! I bought Tanaka this year cant wait to drill. It is way quieter then the 2 hp tecumseh I used to run and I have a nils adapter also had adapter made for running a strikemaster mora hand auger. It runs at higher rpm so the shaver bits really cut with it. You can also talk with it at full throttle. It is going to be great!

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

Quote:

Hey Dan,
    I live in Prairie du Chien
    next time you’re in town stop over check out my Strikemaster with the Honda motor

I just picked up the Strikemaster Honda and I couldn’t wait. I had to run it and I am already in love. I should have never waited so long to buy a 4 stroke.

I am looking forward making the ice fly. It won’t be long now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.