Best Auger on the market

• josh a

I may be selling the pro-4 after this season. Its in the shop for the second time in 2 years and I think its just built way too cheap. I loved it right away but am getting sick of it. I’m thinking about the strikemaster with the honda motor. Any reviews on that, or suggestions for something else?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have nothing but good things to say about my Strike Master with the Honda Engine

bioguy

Ditched my jiffy two years ago for a SM lazer with the 2.5hp Solo. One of the better things I’ve done to improve my success on the ice. I like to hole hop so the weight was my biggest concern, but I have been even more impressed with the performance and reliability.

shaley
    Milford IA

Nils Master….

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I have the Jiffy Pro STX 3500 series i bought brand new 2 years ago…what a dissapointment it has been! Went out with a buddy that has a strikemaster lazer with the 2.5 hp and he would drill 4 holes to my 1! Hasnt cut good since day one! I would go with the SM lazer with the honda motor. I think you will be very happy!

josh a

I just looked up those sm with the honda. Apparently they only come in 8″. Does anyone know if getting a 9″ is possible? The pro-4 is a 9″, the only thing I like about it

mastercraftx2

Always said if anyone could do a honda auger, game set match put all others under. If it doesnt start on the first pull and its a honda somethings wrong!

Love the thing, except two issues, one is kinda important. IT DOES NOT LIKE COLD! We were out in 15 below, and I pulled on it 50 times to get it to start. Every time we moved it took another 20-30. I then brought it into my classroom where it was 50 degrees for 2 hours, started in a half pull everytime lol! Maybe I can just run some higher octane with seafoam etc…

Other issue is the oil/gas coming out of the carb line. It does leak it which it is supposed to and a lot of augers do, but just note that it will do this if you dont have a truck.

Nice light auger, just below zero struggles a bit…I would probably get the 3 hp solo currently…hate eating my words about the honda, cant even believe I am honestly writing this ahhh!

Travis

josh a

ecnook, have you had any of the cold issues with yours? thats gonna be a problem for me

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Two things:
    1. Jiffys were great before Tecumseh went belly up.
    2. Stikemasters are not the greatest thing since sliced
    bread.

josh a

suzuki, you’re probably right. I’m sure there are plenty of augers that’ll cut through ice with the greatest of ease. I’m looking for one that is also well built. Something that’ll take a 25 mile ride on an auger rack and not fall apart. One that can be outside for a while when its snowing and still start. Hopefully, one thats not all plastic!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Travis/mastercraftx2, Thanks for the honest assessment of your auger. It is not easy to step back and evaluate something you purchased that might not be exactly what you expected. Thx.

ozzyky
    On water

I don’t get why guys like such big holes. I fish with a guy who mainly panfishes and has a 10. Just takes longer to cut holes too. A 8 is plenty big. I landed 3 pike last year that went 37, 39, 40 and a 8 inch hole wasn’t a problem. The bigger you get the more light penetration which I think can affect the bite, but I have no scientific data to back this.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

Two things:
    1. Jiffys were great before Tecumseh went belly up. Agreed
    bread. So which auger is? I’ve yet to see a faster, lighter or more powerful auger than a 3hp Solo Laser Pro. That auger is flat out crazy fast. I think I’ve used about every auger on the market and in my opinion there is not a better auger out there for punching a ton of holes.

BBKK
    IA

Tanka head with a 4.5″ nils. Close to an inch a second roaring.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

I just looked up those sm with the honda. Apparently they only come in 8″. Does anyone know if getting a 9″ is possible? The pro-4 is a 9″, the only thing I like about it

…..What are you fishing for that you need a 9inch.?……….rrr

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Strikemaster solo. I have not had any issues with mine at all.. I would also look at an Ion.. those are sweet too

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

ecnook, have you had any of the cold issues with yours? thats gonna be a problem for me

I have had mine in single digits below zero a couple of times this year…

I never once had to pull it more then 5 times to start it.. My auger stays outside 100% of the time.. I use premium gas with stabil additive…

I have not had the oil leakage.. I would guess I have about 100/150 or so hole drilled..

big_g
    Isle, MN

I prefer a 9″ hole over an 8″ when using a Flasher. Heck I would take a 10″ if your drillin em… by the same token, why do guys use a 8″ hole, a 5 or 6″ used to be the norm

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

When I heard Honda motors were coming into play I knew they would be great. Strange to hear about the cold weather start. I’ll bet that is the first thing they address for next years units.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Two things:
    1. Jiffys were great before Tecumseh went belly up.
    bread.

rangerforme

Quote:

So how about a Tananka head with a 6″ lazer. I have seen these run and they are about the best out there? Anyone have one? Thanks.

Shawn

This is what I have, I also own a Solo but hardly ever use it. My whole auger weighs <15lbs, crazy fast, I can cut holes with one hand and carry it with 2 fingers if I wanted. I haven’t run into many fish I can slip through a 6in hole.

desperado

I’ve always said the best auger is the one your fishing buddy bought and loves …
    thus he puts the gas in it and buys the blades for it
    and he is so concerned about not letting anyone else use it that he insists on drilling not only his own holes but all of yours too.

josh a

Quote:

I don’t get why guys like such big holes.

I like to sight fish at times and a bigger hole is just a little better for me. I use the 9″ because my frabill insulated tip-ups dont sit well in a 10″ hole.

desperado

Quote:

I don’t get why guys like such big holes.

Hey, this is a family friendly site; let’s try an’ keep it that way.

(sorry, but someone was gonna say it)

PB2

I just don’t think there is any reason for your hole’s to be bigger than 8″s other than a permanent house. You lose more fish with a bigger hole particularly panfish, they are ankle breakers, object consumers, space wasters and resale is a nightmare on a 10″ versus 8″

I use a 6″ Lazer on a cordless drill for the most part and my 27 year old Jiffy model 30 8″ when needed. There is nothing remotely close to the older Jiffy 30’s when it come’s to reliability bullet proof-ness, ask any-body who works on them they just don’t die.
    Yes I know they are heavy!

jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

Yep, agree no need for anything bigger than an 8″ unless your fishing Browns on the bigger waters. I used to have a 10″ for what I thought would be awesome for walleye. What I found was it’s way easier for the fish to go ape sh*t at the hole and get off. A nice 8″ keeps the big boys in line. If a person is worried about room for a flasher well… maybe try pulling it outta the hole when the fish is a coming up. It becomes routine after doing it a while.

timmy

Quote:

I just don’t think there is any reason for your hole’s to be bigger than 8″s other than a permanent house.

We fish a lot of lake trout. If you have compared turning a 15+lb trout into an 8″ hole as opposed to a 10″, you would see at least 1 reason some people prefer them.

TR

PB2

Good point. I should have stated 99 percent of the time~

tswoboda

Quote:

Quote:

I just don’t think there is any reason for your hole’s to be bigger than 8″s other than a permanent house.

We fish a lot of lake trout. If you have compared turning a 15+lb trout into an 8″ hole as opposed to a 10″, you would see at least 1 reason some people prefer them.

TR

I fish a lot of Lake Trout as well and I prefer an 8″ hole… once the fishes head gets in the hole it’s all over. 10″ hole and it’s a sheetshow trying to grab the gill plate.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.