Black Betty 6061 Right Hand Retrieve?

• bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

Does anyone know if the Black Betty 6061 reel is ambidextrous? My friend picked one up at the St. Paul Ice Show & it doesn’t appear they come with instructions on how to switch the reel to accommodate a right-handed person.

broman

Quote:

Does anyone know if the Black Betty 6061 reel is ambidextrous? My friend picked one up at the St. Paul Ice Show & it doesn’t appear they come with instructions on how to switch the reel to accommodate a right-handed person.

Nope, you can’t change them… so you should just give it to me.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

I will email Matt @ 13 fishing for directions. I was told they were switchable.

bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, you can’t change them… so you should just give it to me.

Lol, even if I couldn’t switch the retrieve I would keep this reel. They are so smooth and the free spooling feature is awesome. Definitely worth the money, especially at 10% of from Joe’s.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

There was a post here a week or so ago about this topic. I can’t find it, but I’m sure someone will.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m pretty sure I had some smart comment about fishing like the Iowans in that thread….

bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

Right Hand Retrieve Black Betty 6061

Alright I figured it out. Here is what I did, but my only question is that the one way clutch (#15) has a plastic seal on one-side & the other is metal and is finished smooth. Does it hurt to have this clutch flipped? Or do you think that Black Betty has a specific clutch for right-handed retrieve? When you get the reel it is set up for left-handed retrieve and this plastic seal is facing out or is visible when looking down at the clutch.

Unscrew the Pushbutton cap (#1) and remove the Spring (#11), remove the screw (#4) and lock plate (#7), remove the handle (#9), unscrew the star drag (#11), remove the elastic spring/washer (#13).

Now flip the reel upside down and slightly push in and out on Drive gear guide (#25) do this kind of fast in order to remove the ball bearing (#14), continue this to remove the one way clutch (#15) and the one way clutch ring (#16).

Now flip the one way clutch (#15) 180 degrees, so that the plastic seal on the clutch is facing in towards the reel. Slide the clutch ring (#16) and the one-way clutch back onto retrieve guide (#25) and continue reassembling the reel in reverse order.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

If you mail it in to 13 fishing, they will do it for you at no charge.

FDR

bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

Quote:

Right Hand Retrieve Black Betty 6061

Alright I figured it out. Here is what I did, but my only question is that the one way clutch (#15) has a plastic seal on one-side & the other is metal and is finished smooth. Does it hurt to have this clutch flipped? Or do you think that Black Betty has a specific clutch for right-handed retrieve? When you get the reel it is set up for left-handed retrieve and this plastic seal is facing out or is visible when looking down at the clutch.

Unscrew the Pushbutton cap (#1) and remove the Spring (#11), remove the screw (#4) and lock plate (#7), remove the handle (#9), unscrew the star drag (#11), remove the elastic spring/washer (#13).

Now flip the reel upside down and slightly push in and out on Drive gear guide (#25) do this kind of fast in order to remove the ball bearing (#14), continue this to remove the one way clutch (#15) and the one way clutch ring (#16).

Now flip the one way clutch (#15) 180 degrees, so that the plastic seal on the clutch is facing in towards the reel. Slide the clutch ring (#16) and the one-way clutch back onto retrieve guide (#25) and continue reassembling the reel in reverse order.

I sent this to 13 fishing and here is what Matt Baldwin from 13 fishing said:

Brad,

Thank you for the email, the procedure you described is perfect.

Don’t worry about the outside edge of the one way bearing(anti-reverse) bearing. Most anti-reverse bearing have a pressed edge and a unpressed edge. It will not adversely effect the durability or function of the product to have it facing the opposite direction.

Thank you for buying one of our new reels, I hope you get to take it to the ice soon.

Matt
    13 Fishing

bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

The great guys at 13 fishing wanted me to inform everyone on this forum the following:

Videos will be released soon on 13 fishing’s Facebook page and YouTube channel showing how to switch the retrieve of the Black Betty 6061 and a video describing the reels features is soon to be released as well?

Also, a simple description to changing the retrieve on the Black Betty 6061 is: part # 15 of the assembly drawing just needs to be flipped over.

13 Fishing is working to ensure people get the most out of their products & are happy/satisfied customers. Their staff is very easy to work with, so if you have any concerns feel free to contact them.

ccales
    Mpls, MN

Matt and the guys at 13 Fishing are top notch. Matt offered to make the conversion for me but after reading your post I decided to try it myself. Good job on the post! I was able to do the conversion myself in just a few minutes. Thanks for the info!

bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

Not a problem & thanks. I also agree that the guys at 13 fishing are great and all about customer satisfaction.

fishhunter14

I need help i put the reel to right retrieve but when I reel there is a noice somewhat like the clicker but it isn’t.

bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

hmmm… well there isn’t much you can mess up. Go back through the reel while looking at the layout diagram, ensuring you have all the washer’s in the place where they are intended. Ensure there isn’t an obstruction in the way of the clicker button, also remove the spool & make sure the clear plastic piece is securely seated. Other than that I can’t think of what the problem would be, without looking at the reel. Good Luck

Let me know if you figure it out.

ccales
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I need help i put the reel to right retrieve but when I reel there is a noice somewhat like the clicker but it isn’t.

I’m just offering this as a possibility, I don’t know for sure. When you flip the anti reverse collar one side is smooth, the other is not. BSully23 reports that Matt at 13 Fishing says that this is ok and won’t affect function. I noticed some very minor rubbing on mine once the conversion was made. I wonder if the sound is the flipped edge rubbing against the bearing that sits against the anti reverse collar. If this is the case it should polish itself smooth with use. Without seeing the reel I can’t say for sure but I believe that is what is going on with mine. On my reel it is so minor that other people don’t even notice it until I point it out. It does not affect free spool mode which is silky smooth. For what it’s worth, I hope this helps.

fishhunter14

On the video on their Facebook page when he reeled it at the end it sounded like mine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.