Polarized Sunglasses

• artifishal

I’ve been researching a couple of sunglasses brands, mainly Oakley and Costas. For those who own either pair, what polarized styles do you like for both fishing and everyday use? What are the major differences between the two brands? Are there any pros to one over the other, or are they pretty similar? I don’t mean to start the Chevy vs. Ford debate, I’m just trying to purchase a good pair of polarized sunnies for fishing (both open water and hard water) and also everyday use.

Money isn’t too big of an issue, but I’d like to try and spend less than $250.

Thanks guys

mrwalleye
    MN

Costa Del Mar Man-o’-War 580GM Lens I have these and wear them every day and LOVE them

tswoboda

I have Costa Caballito 580G green mirror and love them. I got them for musky fishing and ended up wearing them everyday. The green mirror or amber lenses are great for wearing at anytime, including overcast conditions. They make color really pop out haha it’s kind of hard to explain until you actually wear them. If you want some only for bright sunny days, then the blue mirror or smoke lenses are better but the green mirror will work for sun or overcast.

artifishal

How do the blue lens Costa’s do under overcast skies? Do you guys have any experience hole hopping around out on the ice while wearing your Costa’s?

Thanks

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have worn the same pair of Smith’s daily and for fishing more years than I can remember. At least 4. That should say something.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I have worn the same pair of Smith’s daily and for fishing more years than I can remember. At least 4. That should say something.

I have a pair of Smiths, a pair of Costas with 400 glass lenses, and a pair of Costas with 580 glass lenses. All are great. I don’t think you can go wrong.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Assuming that you’re going to use them for ice fishing, one factor that I seldom see discussed is the issue of shape and fogging. A close wrapped style tends to fog up a bit more in my experience. Oakley has a Flak Jacket and half style Flack Jacket that I’ve looked at that seem to be open enough on the bottom to minimize this. At least that’s what I’ll look at when the current pair give up the ghost…or I misplace them. ;-)

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

I wear my Costa Hammerheads pretty much every day of the year. Love ’em.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

All are good choices I think as well, but I’ll put in my two cents. I’ve had a pair of Costa’s and Oakley’s and I favor the Oakley’s big time, I wear them working, playing ball and fishing all the time and absolutely love them. Extremely durable, but the ones I wear are gonna run over 250, I have the Polarized Radarlock Path Oakley’s and can’t say enough about them.

tswoboda

Quote:

How do the blue lens Costa’s do under overcast skies? Do you guys have any experience hole hopping around out on the ice while wearing your Costa’s?

Thanks

The blue mirror lenses have a gray lens base and the green mirror have an amber lens base. The amber lets through way more light than the gray which is what makes it great for overcast days.

Simply put, the blue mirrors are not very good under overcast skies… that’s not what they were designed for.

beck
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Oakley has a Flak Jacket and half style Flack Jacket that I’ve looked at that seem to be open enough on the bottom to minimize this.

I’ve had a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets I wear everyday. Have had them for three years and love them.

artifishal

Does anyone have any experience with the Costa Fisch’s or Cayes?

big-nasty
    Backus, Mn

I bought a couple pair of Fish Gillz this spring and really like them. They are very comfy to wear plus they aren’t as spendy as some of the ones listed. I know they have a few to pick from. Just another option to consider.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

This is all good for you guys that don’t need glasses. What about those of you wearing trifocals? How do you get around the visual issue and wear great polarized lenses?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.