I want to – NO NEED to get in better shape by summer.

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

Many other have said it. Weight loss is all about what you eat and when. Exercise will help with the weight loss and make you healthier and feel better. If you burn 300 calories by exercise you could gain that back with 3 Oreos. Reduce or cut out refined carbs: cookies, crackers, chips, white bread, etc. Multiple smaller “meals” throughout the day if you can.

B-man

Go hungry.

I’ve been naturally fasting well before it became a “thing”, and have stayed in the healthy BMI range all of my life (unintentionally).

Today for example all I ate before 6pm was a single banana. It wasn’t a conscious effort not to eat all day, but just what my body is used to. I don’t mind being hungry, and that same feeling is what also lets me eat and drink whatever I want (including copious amounts of beer) jester

In general I eat wholesome home cooked meals when feasible (tonight we had venison tacos loaded with veggies), but I’m not scared of a Big Mac or gas station pizza when in a hurry either. I don’t count calories or carbs, I’m just active and don’t eat a lot.

As someone mentioned earlier, there’s nothing wrong with feeling hungry, you’ll get used to it. My body feels better on an empty or partially filled stomach than it does after eating too much food.

There’s plenty of days that I eat more than a single piece of fruit for breakfast/lunch, but overall I eat very light during morning/day without even thinking about it.

Too many people stuff their stomachs all day to feel satisfied and pay for it with their health.

And then there’s people who’s bodies are just genetically wired to retain weight no matter what they try to do about it. Diet and exercise will definitely help, but some people are just going to be big.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve been naturally fasting well before it became a “thing”, and have stayed in the healthy BMI range all of my life (unintentionally).

Today for example all I ate before 6pm was a single banana. It wasn’t a conscious effort not to eat all day, but just what my body is used to. I don’t mind being hungry, and that same feeling is what also lets me eat and drink whatever I want (including copious amounts of beer) jester

In general I eat wholesome home cooked meals when feasible (tonight we had venison tacos loaded with veggies), but I’m not scared of a Big Mac or gas station pizza when in a hurry either. I don’t count calories or carbs, I’m just active and don’t eat a lot.

As someone mentioned earlier, there’s nothing wrong with feeling hungry, you’ll get used to it. My body feels better on an empty or partially filled stomach than it does after eating too much food.

Too many people stuff their stomachs all day to feel satisfied and pay for it with their health.

And then there’s people who’s bodies are just genetically wired to retain weight no matter what they try to do about it. Diet and exercise will definitely help, but some people are just going to be big.
    [/quote]

I guess I’m not sure if its called fasting but I do the same thing. I am really only a dinner eater my self. Always have been this way. On the weekends I might have a big brunch after fishing but those days I also feel like I need a nap.
    I drink a cup of coffee in the morning with a couple bottles of water some times as of lately I’ll have a little egg thing my lady bakes for meal preps that is 1 egg with onions and peppers and 1 sausage patty in a cupcake tray. I eat that on my way to work and never bring a lunch. Then eat a regular dinner at 6 or 7pm. But I’ve done this for many many years. I’m not sure if that’s considered fasting. If it is then I’d recommend it because I feel healthy and fit everyday. Also a gallon of water every day

toddrun

Most low/zero calorie flavored drinks/soda’s are almost as bad for you as regular. Some of those sugar alternatives are nasty, go read up on them.

The low carb, high protein diets like Keto work well for me, but they suck also. And if you don’t change you regular ways after dieting, the weight comes right back. Its a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Eat to live don’t live to eat.
    Once I understood this I was good to go.
    Weekdays I work very hard on watching what I eat, weekends are Beer and Pizza.

KG25
    Lakeville, MN

I guess I’m not sure if its called fasting but I do the same thing. I am really only a dinner eater my self. Always have been this way. On the weekends I might have a big brunch after fishing but those days I also feel like I need a nap.
    I drink a cup of coffee in the morning with a couple bottles of water some times as of lately I’ll have a little egg thing my lady bakes for meal preps that is 1 egg with onions and peppers and 1 sausage patty in a cupcake tray. I eat that on my way to work and never bring a lunch. Then eat a regular dinner at 6 or 7pm. But I’ve done this for many many years. I’m not sure if that’s considered fasting. If it is then I’d recommend it because I feel healthy and fit everyday. Also a gallon of water every day

That sounds like intermittent fasting to me. There are all kinds of schedules for fasting. 16:8 is eating 2 meals in an 8 hour period and fasting for 16 hours, essentially skipping breakfast. A 24 hour fast is essentially eating one meal each day and fasting until the same time the next day. 36 hour fast is basically not eating from dinner on day 1 to breakfast time on day 3. You can still drink coffee and tea during the fasting time, just don’t add a lot of cream or any sugar. There a endless combo’s of fasting schedules and some do it once a week, or a few days a week or all the time.

My understanding is the fasting time gives your body time to use up the energy provided from your last meal and when that is used up, your body begins to use stored energy (fat). By eating 3 meals a day and snacks in between, your body doesn’t get a chance to switch over to using stored energy, it has a constant supply of food to use and never giving your body a chance to stop producing insulin.

It is more complex than this with what the body does with food and during fasting though when it comes to energy expenditures. But I’m on board for giving an intermittent fasting regimen a try and see it goes for me. I’m down 8 pounds in my short use of it so far. I’m hopeful long term results will be good as well.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I found the fasting thing to be one of the easiest ways to compliment other things. I don’t do it crazy, but I skip breakfast and only really only eat from noon to about 6:30.

One thing to note is that (allegedly) even artificial sweetners can spike your blood sugar and impact/ruin the effectiveness of the fast. Zero calorie flavored fuzzy water, gum, diet drinks, etc are no good. I only consume water, black coffee or tea during “fast” periods. Pure carbonated water is nice, but I dont like paying for it.

I do not eat any calories, even cream or sugar, because any calories impacts the very thing you are trying to make your body do.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Eat to live don’t live to eat.
    Once I understood this I was good to go.
    Weekdays I work very hard on watching what I eat, weekends are Beer and Pizza.

Well said. The irony is eating is an even more enjoyable activity as you get older but you must do less of it.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

There’s only one way to lose weight, a calorie deficit. There’s a million ways and opinions on how to create a calorie deficit. Everybody is different, but roughly 3,500 calories = one pound. If you can go in a 500 calorie deficit a day, you should lose roughly one pound a week. Exercise is great and I’d highly recommend some form of it, but if you don’t want to do it just skip it and eat healthy.

Diets don’t exist, healthy lifestyles do. Keep it fun. Don’t restrict yourself. You want that donut? Eat it, just don’t eat 5 of them a day everyday. Slowly make healthy changes. Drink a glass of water when you wake up. Slow down when you eat. Get in quality snacks between meals.

Some thoughts I like to follow:
    “eat the rainbow” – each color serves a nutritional purpose. Get in a diverse diet.
    Protein is extremely important – factor every meal and snack around protein, then fill in the rest with carbs and healthy snacks. Protein also helps with satiety, feeling fuller longer and less binge eating later.
    Carbs are your friend – it’s your bodies energy source.
    If it comes from a plant, animal, ground, earth – eat it, as much as you want (almost). If it comes from a factory, wrapper, box, etc., avoid it or have it in small quantities.
    Always enter each day or week with a plan on for all of your meals and snacks, that way you can stay on track very easily.
    I would not recommend it to somebody starting out on a health journey, but tracking food with myfitnesspal is extremely helpful, although it may take the fun out of the journey when just starting off, and right now you want to keep it fun. Something simple like 40% of daily calories are protein, 40% are carbs, 20% are fats. Use an online calculator to figure out how many calories a day you burn, subtract 500 from it, and go from there to figure out if you should bump up or down your intake.

Attachments:
    1. thumbnail_IMG_1799.jpg

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I’m the opposite of fasting. A typical day for me.
    6:30am – Breakfast 1, something with eggs and veggies (usually an egg bake I make on Sunday to quickly reheat each morning of the week. Try to get around 40g protein in.
    9:30am – Breakfast 2, something simple that can be prepared ahead of time and eaten at work quickly. Usually overnight oats with fruit, protein powder, healthy fat mixed in. Try to get around 30g protein in.
    12:00 – Lunch – something that won’t get me feeling sluggish for the rest of the day and covers all nutritional groups. Try to get around 40g protein in.
    2:30 – Snack – Cottage cheese and fruit or veggie. Veggies and hummus, lunch meat. Something that can get about 20g protein in and easy to digest.
    5:00 – Post workout snack to tide me over till supper. Higher carb, some protein. Usually a smoothie of various fruits/veggies.
    6:00 – Supper – Something that covers all groups, try to get around 40g protein.
    9:00 – Bedtime snack – usually a greek yogurt bowl with fruit and healthy fat. Can get very creative in how to make them and satisfy a sweet tooth. Try to get around 30g protein in before bed.

buck-slayer

I used to walk 3 miles 5 times a week at the state park. Groomed trails up and down hills through the woods. Didn’t seem like exercise at all. Actually was enjoyable.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Different strokes for different folks. Some say. low to no Carbs are the key. Others say eating lots of Carbs are the key. Some say exercise is the Key. Others say diet is the key. Probably no right or wrongs here. I think what’s important is finding what works for you and staying with it.
    I think to start I’m going to start drinking way more water and cut the soda’s. Cut down on the Carbs. The wife did well on a Keto diet awhile back but I was not much help and she stopped. Told her I was on board with getting back on it. Think I’ll throw in some type of fasting. I normally don’t eat in the mornings and tend to eat a large dinner. One of my main downfalls is I tend to snack in the evenings and often on poor things. I’m going to try and stop eating anything after 6:00 or so. Thanks for all the good ideas. I know the main thing is to pick something and stay with it. Getting old sucks , but if healthy and in shape I’m sure it sucks a lot less.

tornadochaser

I’m the opposite of fasting. A typical day for me.
    6:30am – Breakfast 1, something with eggs and veggies (usually an egg bake I make on Sunday to quickly reheat each morning of the week. Try to get around 40g protein in.
    9:30am – Breakfast 2, something simple that can be prepared ahead of time and eaten at work quickly. Usually overnight oats with fruit, protein powder, healthy fat mixed in. Try to get around 30g protein in.
    12:00 – Lunch – something that won’t get me feeling sluggish for the rest of the day and covers all nutritional groups. Try to get around 40g protein in.
    2:30 – Snack – Cottage cheese and fruit or veggie. Veggies and hummus, lunch meat. Something that can get about 20g protein in and easy to digest.
    5:00 – Post workout snack to tide me over till supper. Higher carb, some protein. Usually a smoothie of various fruits/veggies.
    6:00 – Supper – Something that covers all groups, try to get around 40g protein.
    9:00 – Bedtime snack – usually a greek yogurt bowl with fruit and healthy fat. Can get very creative in how to make them and satisfy a sweet tooth. Try to get around 30g protein in before bed.

My cousin is a strength/conditioning PT doctor. He’s drafting a similar meal plan for me along with a 3 day/week gym workout. My goals are starting to exceed my home equipment so I’m guessing I’ll start using the gym by May 1st.
    Frequent smaller meals like you’re describing keep the metabolism going as well as improve muscle repair/building. It will require some sunday cooking – mainly chicken breasts and breakfast items to prepare for each week. My only diet issue is I can’t run 2+ miles unless I have a fairly empty stomach (heartburn/reflux). That may be overcome with diet changes though too. I’ll need to play around with afternoon snack time and meal type to see if I can tame the heartburn.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I went low carb and exercise. Started January 3rd after New Years and Covid. I am down 18 pounds and my tight pants fit again, which is nice cuz I was running low on clothes. I think cutting out processed junk foods and moving are a great way to go. I want to be down 35 pounds by the time the turkeys start gobbling.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Different strokes for different folks. Some say. low to no Carbs are the key. Others say eating lots of Carbs are the key. Some say exercise is the Key. Others say diet is the key. Probably no right or wrongs here. I think what’s important is finding what works for you and staying with it.
    I think to start I’m going to start drinking way more water and cut the soda’s. Cut down on the Carbs. The wife did well on a Keto diet awhile back but I was not much help and she stopped. Told her I was on board with getting back on it. Think I’ll throw in some type of fasting. I normally don’t eat in the mornings and tend to eat a large dinner. One of my main downfalls is I tend to snack in the evenings and often on poor things. I’m going to try and stop eating anything after 6:00 or so. Thanks for all the good ideas. I know the main thing is to pick something and stay with it. Getting old sucks , but if healthy and in shape I’m sure it sucks a lot less.

I think you’re on the right track, but does anybody know anyone that has sustained long-term results from Keto? Not really, because it is not fun..

A lot of other registered dietician nutritionists will say that overeating in the evening is a result of undereating the rest of the day.

Nutrition isn’t a one size fits all, and no 2 people are the same. I’d recommend spending a few hundred dollars and getting some sessions with a registered dietician nutritionist and really dialing in on a plan/lifestyle that fits for you.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Fishthumper
    I feel like we are about the same on this so Ill give you a couple things that helped me get started.

Drop the pop. Just dont buy it. I gave it up completely unless there’s whiskey in it!
    No eating after dinner.

Just a couple ideas to get the ball rolling. Good luck!

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

this is my opinion, but skipping food after waking up is terrible. food is fuel. your body needs food to get started and going. you don’t have to go all out. A boiled egg or a banana or apple is good. Also, a big glass of water. water is life. boiled eggs are my go to. quick and easy. just enough to jump start the brain. and as many others have said, be a grazer, not a feaster.

stout93
    Becker MN

this is my opinion, but skipping food after waking up is terrible. food is fuel. your body needs food to get started and going. you don’t have to go all out. A boiled egg or a banana or apple is good. Also, a big glass of water. water is life. boiled eggs are my go to. quick and easy. just enough to jump start the brain. and as many others have said, be a grazer, not a feaster.

Totally agree. I am astounded at how many posters that said they fasted. Like you, I was always taught that food is fuel. Your body NEEDs it. Breakfast literally means “breaking the fast.”

Regardless, I love eating way too much to skip a meal.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My girlfriend is doing the keto thing right now. And she dropped all sugar drinks and blah blah. She bought a 1 gallon water jug on it that has the hour increments, she has been doing this for 2 weeks and says it was hard at first but now she feels way better. The worst part is she has to pee like a race horse every ten minutes. And we are out door people. So lots of cold squats she has to pop. moon

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It is terrible but it works for people because most people overeat and don’t have a healthy diet. Fasting helps correct this to a certain extent. I doubt there is anyone on this forum who works out more than me….but I have periods where I eat terribly and still gain weight. Fasting helps me get reset.

The best option is just eating a healthy diet and cutting out all the garbage foods and then mixing in consistent exercise. Easier said than done, though.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

this is my opinion, but skipping food after waking up is terrible.

I am also of that opinion. Skipping breakfast is the worst one to miss out on. Try skipping dinner instead.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>phishingruven wrote:</div>
    this is my opinion, but skipping food after waking up is terrible.

I am also of that opinion. Skipping breakfast is the worst one to miss out on. Try skipping dinner instead.

Look up Bulletproof coffee…that’s a good option to fasting. High protein, low carb, plus caffeine. It’s an acquired taste though.

B-man

As I mentioned earlier, skipping breakfast and lunch all together is just something my body doesn’t mind doing. Many days I get by on hardly anything until dinner time.

It also works out better that way, I’d much rather have a nice dinner with the family every night then skip it.

You could put 3 eggs, 4 pieces of bacon, hash browns with cheese, and a stack of pancakes in front of me at 5am. I’ll just grab a piece of bacon and run out the door jester

I can force myself to eat breakfast, but I don’t need to or really want to most of the time.

Matt your comment about “I doubt there is anyone on this forum that works out more than me” had me laughing.

Because I doubt there is anyone on this forum that works out LESS than me rotflol

I’m active, but I haven’t “done a workout” since highschool. If I haven’t done a whole lot in a day, I do enjoy going for a half mile brisk walk. To me that is not considered working out, more so just burning off energy and cabin fever.

I drag deer and portables for cardio.

Oh, and so far today I ate a pickle lol

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

i’d rather have breafast, skip lunch or maybe just an apple for lunch then a nice dinner. Like i said, food is fuel. put fuel in before the trip. use fuel during the trip(throughout the day) then have a nice dinner. Starting the day on an empty tank leads to less focus and productivity during the day, then the hanger sets in. If i have breakfast, i can still be hungry without the hangryness.

also, between the ages of 40 and 45, your body changes. What you do in your early and late thirties will need to be adjusted to the changes your body is going through in your mid 40’s.

breakfast will always be key to good body energy and brain sharpness though. the higher the octane fuel you use, the better milage and performance you will get.

Erik Swenson

Mr. Gustafson says bacon, cigarettes and beer are all you need!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Look up Bulletproof coffee…that’s a good option to fasting. High protein, low carb, plus caffeine. It’s an acquired taste though.

Do you drink it?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It is terrible but it works for people because most people overeat and don’t have a healthy diet. Fasting helps correct this to a certain extent. I doubt there is anyone on this forum who works out more than me….but I have periods where I eat terribly and still gain weight. Fasting helps me get reset.

The best option is just eating a healthy diet and cutting out all the garbage foods and then mixing in consistent exercise. Easier said than done, though.
    [/quote]

What is a work out considered. At work I average of 5 to 7 miles per day via step counter. My saw I throw around all day is 98lbs. I lift that above my head at least 40 times a day. My wall saw tracks are 30lbs and I carry those all day. I throw around 16 inch cmu like it’s going out of style. Along with pallets of 80lbs bag mix, which is 40 bags per pallet. Then I go home walk my dog for a couple miles every night. Relax time is dragging my shack all around punching holes and jigging.
    So it’s hard to say because I won’t waste my time in a gym, what is truly considered a work out. Healthy eating, staying active, not being lazy. And water are the keys to success. I don’t eat alot and never have. Even when I boxed for 6 nights a week, just watch what your intake is.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

i’d rather have breafast, skip lunch or maybe just an apple for lunch then a nice dinner. Like i said, food is fuel. put fuel in before the trip. use fuel during the trip(throughout the day) then have a nice dinner. Starting the day on an empty tank leads to less focus and productivity during the day, then the hanger sets in. If i have breakfast, i can still be hungry without the hangryness.

also, between the ages of 40 and 45, your body changes. What you do in your early and late thirties will need to be adjusted to the changes your body is going through in your mid 40’s.

breakfast will always be key to good body energy and brain sharpness though. the higher the octane fuel you use, the better milage and performance you will get.

I’m not a breakfast guy and never have been. So it’s hard to agree. But I totally get it. I know many people who can’t operate without breakfast. I haven’t been a breakfast guy in 35 years. I never have a lack of energy or focus..

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

Do you drink it?

Yep, mix it in a blender and gut it down.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

What is a work out considered. At work I average of 5 to 7 miles per day via step counter. My saw I throw around all day is 98lbs. I lift that above my head at least 40 times a day. My wall saw tracks are 30lbs and I carry those all day. I throw around 16 inch cmu like it’s going out of style. Along with pallets of 80lbs bag mix, which is 40 bags per pallet. Then I go home walk my dog for a couple miles every night. Relax time is dragging my shack all around punching holes and jigging.
    So it’s hard to say because I won’t waste my time in a gym, what is truly considered a work out. Healthy eating, staying active, not being lazy. And water are the keys to success. I don’t eat alot and never have. Even when I boxed for 6 nights a week, just watch what your intake is.
    [/quote]

Different for everyone. I manage sales teams so I need my workouts to be focused and have a certain level of intensity. I also workout to race but those days are slowing down so my workout intensity has slowed, too. A few years ago it wasn’t uncommon for me to bike 100 miles a week and run 30-40 miles.

You obviously have a job that gives you the exercise you need. If I did your job (and let’s be honest, I’d break a nail and quit) I’d only supplement it with workouts because I enjoy them.

I do agree with most on here…diet is the critical component to weight loss. But, exercise in whatever form is just as important for overall health.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.