I want to – NO NEED to get in better shape by summer.

• MX1825

I think my goal of losing some weight coincides with my goal of drinking less beer. Neither has happened yet.

I tried the Lite beer diet when I was much younger. 12 pak a day and never lost a pound and couldn’t pee higher doah

CaptainMusky

You cant just drink light beer you need to drink one low in carbs and calories. I switched to Ultra and dumped a ton of weight. I also only typically eat one meal a day and drink a ton of water.

Reef W

Most low/zero calorie flavored drinks/soda’s are almost as bad for you as regular. Some of those sugar alternatives are nasty, go read up on them.

I know this is an old post in the thread but switching to diet drinks is probably one of the easiest ways to cut a lot of calories for people who drink them and this nonsense bugs me.

From strictly a weight perspective there is no comparison, 240 calories for a 20oz Coke is much worse than a 0 calorie version. From a general health perspective I assume this is about cancer risk? Aspartame is classified by IARC as category 2B which means “Possibly carcinogenic to humans”. For comparison here’s a couple of things from the next level up – 2A “Probably carcinogenic to humans”:

– Consumption of red meat
    – Drinking very hot beverages at above 65 °C

Group 2B means “The Group 2B classification is the third highest out of 4 levels, and it is generally used either when there is limited, but not convincing, evidence for cancer in humans, or when there is convincing evidence for cancer in lab animals, but not both.”

Aspartame has been studied extensively for several decades now without finding any cancer risk in humans linked to it.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Mathematically, weight loss is a very simple concept. 100% boils down to calories burned vs calories consumed. You can do whatever diet you’d like but if you’re not in a calorie deficit, the scale will not go down. Now eating “healthier” food is overall better for you than junk food, ie heart health. It will also allow you to eat more volume for the same amount of total calories. You should also shoot for .7 to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Also, take your body weight, times it by 10-12, and that is roughly the total amount of calories you should be consuming. Goal is to loose 1-1.5% of body weight per week.
    Doesn’t matter whatever fad diet you want to follow. Just make sure your in a calorie deficit and meet your protein goal.

Weight training vs cardio as well. Cardio is not the key to weight loss as many have believed for so long

This is probably the best response in this thread.
    -Weight training builds muscle which burn more calories during the day even if they aren’t being used
    -Cardio can help you lose weight but diet has much more impact. Calculate how long you need to exercise to burn of the calories from a candy bar or bowl of chips vs eating something healthier in the first place. Many people aren’t able to exercise but can still lose weight by … their diet.

Here’s a link to the summary of a study about intermittent fasting.

https://www.jwatch.org/na57399/2024/04/25/weight-loss-does-it-matter-what-time-day-you-eat

If it works for you and you are getting all the nutrients you need keep doing it. If you lose weight to fast you may be losing muscle which is not good in the long run.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Mathematically, weight loss is a very simple concept. 100% boils down to calories burned vs calories consumed. You can do whatever diet you’d like but if you’re not in a calorie deficit, the scale will not go down.

This is the key. Eat and drink less of what your normal diet is. Ramp down the portion size over a one to two week period and less food will satisfy. Get used to feeling hungry all the time. Not a big deal and you get used to it after a while.

-J.

picklerick
    Central WI

It’s very common for me to consume 10-12 beers a day. I’ve lost #43 since Nov by making better food choices. No 2nds, smaller portions, LOTS more vegetables, and keep the carbs to a minimum. I still eat everything. I cut out diet drinks altogether recently, but not because of aspartame. I found that artificial sweeteners actually effect my “regularity”. It’s been theorized that some of them, like Splenda, can kill off the good gut bacteria. The jury is still out on that, but it definitely helped me. Beer, black coffee, unsweetened tea and water are about all I drink.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I’ve been sticking to low carb, no processed foods, drinks, etc, and exercise for the past 14 months. Lost 62 pounds so far and still going. I find most foods that come in a box or packaging are bad. If I want something sweet, I have a handful of berries. If I want something satiating I have meat and veggies. Drink lots of water and get after it! My goal was to lose 100 pounds in 2 years, and I am on track to do so. Best of luck!

CaptainMusky

That is awesome Steve! I probably lost 60 pounds since COvid. Working from home and not eating out every day were the biggest things for me.

MX1825

That’s great Steve. WTG!

btyreprich
    Rhinelander, WI

I suggest joining your local YMCA and then set up a workout schedule which you can & WILL follow. I myself go 5 days a week early mornings. Each location has fitness advisors that will help explain & demonstrate the machines. If nothing else, walk on their indoor track for at least a mile.
    I’m also going to see a dietician tomorrow morning which I hope will guide me on what foods are better for you and which ones to avoid all together. The first steps are always the hardest!

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Just marry a very health conscious women they will take care of all your problems even the chips you smuggle to the basement!

JEREMY
    BP

All I drink is water beer and milk. Havent had pop in 20 years. I really dont eat candy thank god cause theres always a ton in our house. Really dont eat bad. My problem is and always has been beer. I probably drink about 20 a day on weekends and 6 or 7 during the week and Thursdays im home early so that may as well be a weekend. If I didnt eat a grain of rice im still probably over what my calorie intake should be. Im not hugely over weight 5-9 172lbs but man I think dropping 15 would feel good. Im just to used to having a beer in my hand wether im gardening, fishing, mushroom hunting, mowing lawn and everything else down the line.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m old divorced and live alone. I have no food in my home. Eat out when I’m hungry. Drink everyday but go to a personnel trainer 3 to 4 times a week.
    Never felt better.

Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.