Video Camera For Taping Hunts

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Hey Team,

I’m looking for a hi-def video camera to film with during the upcoming spring snow goose season. It must have a view finder (not just a screen) and some sort of external mic.

I was thinking something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749467-REG/Canon_4922B002_XA10_HD_Professional_Camcorder.html

Does anyone have either a suggestion on model, a store that I could view and try a few out at in the Twin Cities (have had no luck in Roch or Lax), or even better yet….one they’d like to sell me?!

Thoughts appreciated

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Jake,

Send James a PM on the fishing side. He’s the most knowledgeable guy I know when it comes to this stuff.

prieser
    Byron, MN

If Whitetails4ever looks in, I’d take his advise also. He does a boatload of filming.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Thanks for the ideas so far guys.

I have talked to James before regarding this…..he offered up some good advice on wireless mics. Definitely a professional.

I would really like to find a camera shop that would carry something like this so I can see and feel the options available. Or is buying this stuff online common practice these days?

My main problem is I can’t see the screen with my current camera when filming in bright sunny skies (which is often when hunting snows in the spring). It doesn’t have to be a full on professional camera…an amateur grade camera with a view finder would be best. Was hoping to spend closer to $1000 than $2000.

Just looking to get some final opinions before March.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

There is a website he uses for stuff like this. A few calls to their tech support/customer service department may be helpful. Also check out
    Cambell Cameras. They are an industry leader in this area.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Try and get a hold of pat reeve in plainview.

gobbler
    Central, MN

I just sent my buddy a message on FB yesterday and he came back with this:
    http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-HXRNX30U/
    Looks like it’s over your budget. Add to that the mic system and it would be closer to $3000. Good luck with whatever you choose. I know my next purchase will be something that has at least 16-20X optical zoom. I have a JVC with 10X zoom and it just isn’t enough. IMO

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

A Doc I work with has the ShotKam. He showed me the videos…absolutely amazing!!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.