carry question

• life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Cocked and locked.

herefishyfishy
    MN

Condition one… with my glock. ready to fire full mag.
    Condition one …with my 1911 hammer back and thumb safety on. full mag
    Your speaking of condition three which is common with alot of millitary around the world.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Packenheat, I thought you worked for a furnace company.

I had the same concerns. Someone suggested that I carry with the tube empty until I felt comfortable that the hammer wasn’t going to fall when it shouldn’t. Once I had a opportunity to realize how fast crap can happen, I went to one in the tube.

Seems to me there are three scenarios.

3)No time to draw. (Didn’t see it coming)

2)Time to draw, no extra time to rack/think (guns in your face/mugging ect)

1)Time to draw and rack. (hostage ect)

Having one in the tube is going to give me the advantage in two out of the three scenarios.

As far as someone else taking my weapon, There are two safeguards for this. One is having a holster that my gun locks into. If someone would grab my gun in the holster, they would literally lift me off the ground. It’s not coming out, but by design it’s natural to unlock the holster to release the weapon.

Some folks have a backup weapon. While the bad guy is working on releasing your gun from it’s holster, the backup is coming from the other direction and pressing the bad guys nose up in the air.

One suggestion, which ever way to carry, carry the same way each time.

Hope to see you at the range sometime!

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Not having the legal option to CCW I hadn’t had much interest in this until I started to read about it. One thing that seems to often come up is the loaded/unloaded theory. Some claim their CCW instructors tell them if they don’t want to carry loaded then the class is a waste of their time. They tell the students that in many cases a person had to defend themselves and drew their weapon, charged it, and made the decision to fire. It seems in a juries eyes, thanks to a eager DA, if you have time to remove, charge, aim, and fire then you had time to retreat. While I have no specific court cases to prove or disprove that notion I could see it being an issue.

But until a person trains and trains and trains it will take a lot of time, I suspect, getting past the notion that carrying a loaded gun in that manner feels unsafe.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

There is an old saying that I think fits the situation.

“An unloaded gun is just a stick!”

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You could think this one to death. What are the odds a situation you need it is a “quick draw”? Perhaps. My carry gun is ready to rock, however, at home I generaly keep the chamber empty on the Glock just for safety from any unforseen circumstances like friends kids. The other thing about loading to carry is you find yourself loading and unloading a hot round often.(autoloaders) That transition is inherently riskier. I suggest doing what is comforatable and natural for you.

riveratt

Quote:

The other thing about loading to carry is you find yourself loading and unloading a hot round often.(autoloaders) That transition is inherently riskier. I suggest doing what is comfortable and natural for you.

Excellent thing to think about. Maybe another check in the “for” box with a revolver? No matter what way a person goes practice is absolutely necessary!

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Thank You all for your thoughts. BK You always have something witty to say . I should’ve said before in my normal day to day I not to exciting life I leave the P11 I carry on me with and empty pipe unless I’m going into diffrent territory, then were fully loaded. The extra (not saying where I keep it) is always loaded.
    My wife really good about it, the last time we left the house she said “you better be packing”
    When I renew next year she is going to get hers also. Oh Boy we get to get another hand gun .
    I am looking to get up to one of the shoots at Bills some time and get to know some of you. Doug

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Cocked and locked.

Same here!

Jami

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I typically carry two ways. A wallet holster, and an ankle holster. If I am going out fishing, it is a belt holster. But the first two are the most probable for me. The wallet holster for my .40 is nice as it does not print a gun in your pocket. It is also a natural movement for you to make in a mugging…to go for your wallet. You must have one in the pipe to do this because at this point your mind should already be made up that you are going to double tap the person in front of you holding a gun or knife. Regardless of your carry preference, you should always have one in the chamber if you are going to carry. How long does it take a bad guy to pull a trigger, and how long does it take for you to load get on target and squeeze one off accurately? I don’t like those odds. Another thing to use in your favor is body position. If any of you have seen me shoot at the range, I stand sideways offering a half of a profile and not a full on target. In training…take and crack off a number of shots quickly, without the opportunity to take aim and squeeze. Do it rapid fire. Now look at your groups as opposed to your groups when you take your time. You may see some total misses!! By simply turning sideways and firing when confronted gives you a 50% better chance at being missed by the bad guy if he/she fires. I do this all the time at the range. Plus…standing sideways and extending your arm gives you another aimpoint as you are looking straight down your arm and barrel increasing your odds of hitting said bad guy/gal.

riveratt

Very good info Tuck!

A great person to learn from is Colonel Jeff Cooper. While he is now deceased this man was truly ahead of his time in what he taught.

Jeff Cooper

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

In MP School and Police School we were trained in the Weaver Stance. That is a great stance when you are afforded a defendable position with cover.

In a situation like a mugging or a robbery, you need the element of surprise in your favor. Think of this as well…walking down a street…no sign of threat….you are carrying your keys in your off hand…(Always do this) and out pops Mr. Bad guy…and he wants your money…You reach back behind you as if to grab your wallet, and grab your CC weapon…taking a step back with your weakside leg turning you sideways…and in one motion toss your keys to the bad guy…while leveling the gun to fire…more often than not they will try to catch the keys while you are touching off two kill shots. If you get shot turned sideways, your ribs can help deflect a bullet away from critical areas.

Just more things you should think about…but hopefully never have to use.

If you have ever been out with me, you will notice I always sit facing the door. I ALWAYS know where the exits are. I ALWAYS size up potential threats. You do it automatically after a while. What is funny is I have friends who do the same thing! And when we start brawling for the same spot we laugh!! So we will flip a coin.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Quote:

What is funny is I have friends who do the same thing! And when we start brawling for the same spot we laugh!! So we will flip a coin.

I think who has the quickest draw and more accurate gets to face the door to heck with the coin.
    Thank You everyone for your thoughts, sometimes after we carry for a few years we aren’t on alert as much as we should be.

deertracker

I feel that there is no point in carrying an empty weapon. If your taking the time to load your gun, that takes away time you should be taking cover. It may only take a second to load a gun, but unless you train that way almost daily, under stress you will attempt to fire and empty gun. An example would be the following. In 21 feet or less someone with a knife came get to you before you can draw. Maybe not all the time, but that is a proven distance. If you had to draw then load, you would never make it. Under stress our bodies fall back on things that we have done repeadidly. I’m can’t think of the best way to explain it right now, but hope you understand. A gun doesn’t just go off, so I don’t think not having one chambered is more safe. Instead of practicing loading then shooting, try some disarming techniques and train regulary. Just my .02
    DT

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Amen DT!
    Practice is something you don’t hear enough in my opinion. People dwell too much on what to carry, what type of holster is best and things such as that. Use whatever is the most effective to you. Have a plan for defense, and practice your plan. Run your scenario through your head as you practice. Carry yourself at the range in the way you would on the street. Practice taking your gun out and shoot it from natural positions that you would encounter on the street. Not the way we do at IDO shoots where we lay the guns down and just shoot at will. It’s fun, dont get me wrong…but the practice I am talking about should be done on your own.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.