Morning trap check

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Took the good luck charms with me this morning on the trap line Once I told them I was taking them with me I don’t think they slept all night Anyway, the first 8 sets were empty and I was starting to get a little frustrated Then we had to make the walk across the field and down to the swamp to check the last of the sets. But, I had one more set on the edge of the woods where the farmer left a small strip of corn. On this set I made a mouse hole with my stake and lured it with fox gland lure. I then set a fully modified 1 1/2 coil spring trap. While walking up to the set, I thought I saw something curled up where the trap was. Sure enough, there was a very nicely furred adult coon taking a nap. The kids were ecstatic that we actually caught something I dispatched the coon and we went to check the last few sets which were empty. I then made a bunch more water sets with the body grip traps setting for mink, rat, and coons. So hopefully tomorrow I will be busy skinning

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Another

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Another

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Great job buddy Wats

I’m sure them curtian climbers had a blast

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Great job buddy Wats

I’m sure them curtian climbers had a blast

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Nice size coon. Bet the kids had fun. Good to be teaching them how things work in the real world before they get the PETA hand outs in school.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Nice size coon. Bet the kids had fun. Good to be teaching them how things work in the real world before they get the PETA hand outs in school.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That is my biggest coon so far. When we headed back to the truck, I was going to carry the coon and give them the bucket with a few traps because it was lighter. They insisted on carrying the coon . The twins each grabbed a leg and started carrying it across the feild. Needless to say, they had to stop a few times The little guy was doing a good job with the moral support I sure hope I am teaching them about how things are before the PETA propaganda begins. They are pretty gung-ho about all things outdoors. They still have a few years before they are old enough to hunt and trap, but they are years ahead of how I started out. I just hope they don’t grow out of it, but I just don’t see it happening

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That is my biggest coon so far. When we headed back to the truck, I was going to carry the coon and give them the bucket with a few traps because it was lighter. They insisted on carrying the coon . The twins each grabbed a leg and started carrying it across the feild. Needless to say, they had to stop a few times The little guy was doing a good job with the moral support I sure hope I am teaching them about how things are before the PETA propaganda begins. They are pretty gung-ho about all things outdoors. They still have a few years before they are old enough to hunt and trap, but they are years ahead of how I started out. I just hope they don’t grow out of it, but I just don’t see it happening

herb
    6ft under

It’s about time!!!!!!
    Hey Mike, where’d all that red hair come from?

herb
    6ft under

It’s about time!!!!!!
    Hey Mike, where’d all that red hair come from?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Herb- Not sure on the hair, I have brown hair and the wife is blonde I tell the wife it must have been the mailman

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Herb- Not sure on the hair, I have brown hair and the wife is blonde I tell the wife it must have been the mailman

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Great time spent with the family.
    I can not wait for mine to get older. Hunting and fishing will be a big part of their live. It better be or they will never see their dad.

Ron

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Great time spent with the family.
    I can not wait for mine to get older. Hunting and fishing will be a big part of their live. It better be or they will never see their dad.

Ron

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This morning’s catch had a variety of critters I have been wondering where the grinners were this year, and today I finally got one I also caught my first rat of the season, which is also my second ever. The rat was pretty nice sized for a pond. The last catch was pretty odd. Not sure how a pine squirrel can set off my 1.5 coil But, I did get a nice rear leg catch. Now I need to figure out how to skin them, cased or not Moved a few traps and took some unproductive ones out to put in different locations this week.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This morning’s catch had a variety of critters I have been wondering where the grinners were this year, and today I finally got one I also caught my first rat of the season, which is also my second ever. The rat was pretty nice sized for a pond. The last catch was pretty odd. Not sure how a pine squirrel can set off my 1.5 coil But, I did get a nice rear leg catch. Now I need to figure out how to skin them, cased or not Moved a few traps and took some unproductive ones out to put in different locations this week.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That pine squirrel must have been a heavy walker. The 1.5 didn’t have any trouble holding him did it Wats

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That pine squirrel must have been a heavy walker. The 1.5 didn’t have any trouble holding him did it Wats

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Wats, how much do you get for a Coon Skin?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Wats, how much do you get for a Coon Skin?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Slop-The price for coon is pretty low this year from what I hear. I have heard anywhere from $3-15 depending on size and fur quality. I am waiting until I get a few more before I take them in to sell. Hopefully, this week will be productive and I can get them all taken in to get a feel for what everything is going for.

Bret-Beleive it or not, for a small critter, he sure tore up my guide sticks and made a small catch circle

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Slop-The price for coon is pretty low this year from what I hear. I have heard anywhere from $3-15 depending on size and fur quality. I am waiting until I get a few more before I take them in to sell. Hopefully, this week will be productive and I can get them all taken in to get a feel for what everything is going for.

Bret-Beleive it or not, for a small critter, he sure tore up my guide sticks and made a small catch circle

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Do you take it to Weibke <sp?> fur?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Do you take it to Weibke <sp?> fur?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yep, I take everything to Wiebke. There is another small buyer in Onalaska, but I have never sold to him. I like Weibke due to the fact that I can either get cash or trade for more trapping supplies.Normally, I trade for more lure. Hopefully, I get a few more critters this week and then I will take them in on Saturday.
    This morning I added 2 more rats and a fox squirrel. I also made more coon sets on the creek and in the marsh. I am real excited about these new sets.
    I also lost a trap this morning to a tractor when the farmer plowed the field

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yep, I take everything to Wiebke. There is another small buyer in Onalaska, but I have never sold to him. I like Weibke due to the fact that I can either get cash or trade for more trapping supplies.Normally, I trade for more lure. Hopefully, I get a few more critters this week and then I will take them in on Saturday.
    This morning I added 2 more rats and a fox squirrel. I also made more coon sets on the creek and in the marsh. I am real excited about these new sets.
    I also lost a trap this morning to a tractor when the farmer plowed the field

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Hey buddy Wats, if you are trapping tractors you are going to have too stake them things down better
    Also, I would like a small tractor. If you hold one, can I have first bid

Sounds like you are having fun! You are making me want to pull out a couple of my traps I have had put away for some time. Keep up the good job

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Hey buddy Wats, if you are trapping tractors you are going to have too stake them things down better
    Also, I would like a small tractor. If you hold one, can I have first bid

Sounds like you are having fun! You are making me want to pull out a couple of my traps I have had put away for some time. Keep up the good job

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Got another nice boar coon and 2 muskrats this morning. I am up to 12 saleable furs At this rate, I should be able to retire in a week or two Just kidding, but I am having a blast. It is kind of funny, I can get up at 5 to check traps without a problem. But getting out of bed to be at work by 6:30 just killed me

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.