How to dry a cell phone

• Rod Bent

I fell through the ice yesterday, and of course my phone got wet. It chirped once or twice and died. I took a hot bath when I got home and put the phone in a bag of rice. This morning the phone started but died again.
    So I tried to draw air through it with a vacuum-bag. And it works now.
    I poked a bunch of pinholes in a plastic bag, put the phone in the bag, and taped it to the hose of my shop vac. I turned on the shop vac for about 15 minutes until it got hot. The air pulled most of the moisture out of the phone. It still has some behind the screen, so I’m going to give another session. But I hope this tip helps. Just don’t do what I did in order to try it!
    Seriously, no ice is safe ice. Especially after this stretch of warmer weather. And don’t step in any musrat holes!

Attachments:
    1. 20170103_153535.jpg

Tbone

Had to leave mine in with rice for two days. Much like yours it didn’t work after one day. After two days I left it on the charger until full charge and worked great.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Glad you got out safe and sound.

Matthew Sandys
    Inactive
    Grand Rapids, MN

Food dehydrator, works great!

Vexman

Order a beastie bag 20 dollars well spent and saved couple of the kids phones ????

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Glad your ok, had to have been unsettling.

Rod Bent

The Bheestie bag looks good. Its got the nano pores that attract water molecules and trap them. I may have to pick one up.

Vexman

Missed the h. Good for a year I love those bags

barc
    SE MN

This post reminded me of my iPhone 5s that I ran through the washing machine and dryer last fall. Of course it was dead to the world and nothing would display on the screen. Tried the ‘rice in a bag’ for a couple of days with no luck. So I paid the price and got a new phone and just laid the old one on the desk for a ‘reminder’. I had a bunch of pics that were not backed up on the phone and if nothing else I really wanted to recover those.

Well I plugged in the charger yesterday to see if anything had dried out / changed over the last couple of months and the lo and behold the charge bar indicator came up on the phone. I left it plugged in for a couple of hours and checked again and it was up to 75% charged – so I got my laptop setup to hook up the phone via the USB connection and immediately recovered all the pictures off the old phone! I plugged it back into the charger and when it read 100% I figured I would see if the battery would still hold a charge – overnight it pulled down the latest iOS update (via wifi) so I installed that this morning with no issues. It is still sitting at 74% charged and everything I can see looks BAU on the ‘clean’ phone.

Anyone have any luck putting a ‘drowned iPhone’ back into daily use or I am looking for lots of issues down the road and I should simply be happy to retrieve the lost data?
    barc

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

If it powers on and the touch screen works you should be good to go.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.