How many follow professional Bass Fishing?

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just curious home many people here follow the professional bass fishing world. Today is the 1st Event for the FLW at Sam Rayburn. I believe BASS’s first event is not till the 1st week in Feb. This year should be real interesting with the new forming of the new Major League Fishing group. Lots of the Top fishermen from both FLW and Bass decided to make the change to MFL. The good news is this should open up lots of spots for new fisherman who want to try and live the dream of fishing for a living. I like to follow it because I know several of the local fishermen who fish in one of the league’s. Fun to follow along and see how they are doing. Several Minnesota fishermen had started to do rather well in the last few years – Its good to see local guys making a living doing what they love.

Karry Kyllo

I follow professional bass fishing. I’m a die hard walleye guy, but I find bass fishing tournaments interesting and entertaining. They are very well done for the most part. The way walleye tournaments are presented on television is quite boring and amateurish in comparison.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I like the Format of the MLF. I wish they would find a way to work bonus weight for larger fish into the overall weight. I think the Catch, weigh, and release format is really going to be helpful to the fisheries. I believe that the big fish Mortality rate in traditional tournaments is way higher than people think. Just because a fish swims away at the release site does not mean that it will live.

Ford Guy 1
    Chanhassen, MN

I got hooked on bass fishing when I was in grade school, and that’s over 50 years ago!!! Been watching bass fishing for 30 years or more, back when BASS tournaments were on TNN. I love the Major League Fishing format, can’t wait to see the show each Saturday.

I fished 14 of the BASS tournaments on the amateur side over the years, and was a marshal at 5 of the Elite Series events. In close to 90% of those tournaments, my pro partner had something bad to say about BASS. It was the tournament director, entry fees, not listening to the fishermen, etc., so I wasn’t surprised to see 68 of the pros split and go over to MLF. I hated to see it happen, as I’ve been a life member of BASS since ’82, but the guys had to follow their heart and their pocketbook.

You’re right, it will give a lot of new guys a chance. Look at all the new guys that have come on board in the last few years, including Brandon Card, the Lee brothers, Bradley Roy and our own Seth Feider. It’ll take a couple of years to get to know all the new names, but it should still be good.

With that said, BASS still needs to improve their television coverage of the events. The last Elite tournament I watched last year, they covered the first 3 days of the tourney in 6 minutes. Then, you had to listen to that idiot Mark Zona give the lay of the lake, or whatever he calls it. I don’t wanna see a couple of guys giving their impression of what’s going on, I wanna see the pros catching fish. What are they using, why are they using it, what’s the structure, cover, etc. they’re fishing? Not “here’s what we can show you on a map of the lake”. That’s why I’d rather watch MLF, the camera is right there to show what they’re using and what the target is.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I play fantasy fishing, that’s about it.

I have always wanted to attend a weigh in though.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

What’s a Bass?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I do fantasy fishing on Bassmaster.com Good prizes if you’re lucky and some smaller contests as well. I do follow the BASS events and will be following the new MLF league as well. I’ve never gotten into the FLW Tour for whatever reason. Although I just saw a post that Scott Martin caught a TOAD today…..

FryDog62

Yeah, I watch it more and more often… that and Twins baseball are really the only sports I watch any more…

MLF is fun, you feel like you’re a spectator in the boats. It’s enjoyable watching the personalities and competion unfold. Just wish they’d raise the minimum size to 15 inches or so. Can become too much of a dink fest with the average size a pound-and-a-half.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah, I watch it more and more often… that and Twins baseball are really the only sports I watch any more…

MLF is fun, you feel like you’re a spectator in the boats. It’s enjoyable watching the personalities and competion unfold. Just wish they’d raise the minimum size to 15 inches or so. Can become too much of a dink fest with the average size a pound-and-a-half.

I stumbled upon a video on youtube last year of 2.5 hours of uncut MLF footage from KVD’s boat during one of the events. That was REALLY cool as you could see his progressions from lure to lure, spot to spot, how he picked apart different structure.

That would be something that I’d love to see more of. Releasing more of the raw footage so average joe’s like myself could watch and learn from it.

15 inch minimum would be a good idea.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

A bass is something that eats walleyes.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I do watch MLF, although I wouldn’t call it following professional bass fishing. That’s because I am usually watching them out of order and rerun, I have no idea how the season is progressing. I just like watching the show.

FryDog62

Except on Mille Lacs, they only find crayfish in the bellies of the Smallmouth that are harvested.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I personally think largemouth are overrated a bit but it would be fun to try!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Overrated in what way?

The most exciting fishing to me is at the crack of dawn with the birds singing and the air still with maybe a little fog coming off the water. At that time there is nothing more exciting than a bass blowing up on top water. That’s fishing utopia to me. There is only one other freshwater fish that will nail a top water at that time and get your heart racing and that’s a pike.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chuck100 wrote:</div>

Except on Mille Lacs, they only find crayfish in the bellies of the Smallmouth that are harvested.

+

You remember the study they did on Mille Lacs back when the walleye population started to fall. Fishermen were saying it was because smallmouth were eating all the walleye Fry. They found only a few in lots of smallmouth but found 100’s in only a few big walleyes.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Overrated in what way?

The most exciting fishing to me is at the crack of dawn with the birds singing and the air still with maybe a little fog coming off the water. At that time there is nothing more exciting than a bass blowing up on top water. That’s fishing utopia to me. There is only one other freshwater fish that will nail a top water at that time and get your heart racing and that’s a pike.

I’m with you Pug. Nothing like a early morning top water bite. I live for those mornings

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

One thing I like MLF to do is to work in some type of a bonus for catching larger fish. Maybe like 4oz extra for a 3lb. fish, 8oz for a 4, 12oz for a 5, and a extra lb. for a 6. Possibly a 3 lb. bonus for the big bass of the day or period. I think that would make things real interesting. Someone from back in the standings could make up a lot of ground in a hurry with just a few big fish.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    Overrated in what way?

I’m with you Pug. Nothing like a early morning top water bite. I live for those mornings

And feeling the warm water on a cool morning when landing that fish. A sunset topwater bite for smallmouth with the loons calling is great too.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I follow it more now than I used to. I can attribute a closer following to the success of Seth Feider, the Bloomington, MN native who has done well on tour the past couple seasons.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

FLW’s live coverage today has been fun to watch. Several guys right there. It may all come down to one big last fish that decides this. Rayburn has lots of them in there so it could happen to anyone at any time. There’s been some monster fish caught and several really big daily limits. I believe the current leader had 5 for 33+ Lbs on the 2nd day.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

FLW’s live coverage today has been fun to watch. Several guys right there. It may all come down to one big last fish that decides this. Rayburn has lots of them in there so it could happen to anyone at any time. There’s been some monster fish caught and several really big daily limits. I believe the current leader had 5 for 33+ Lbs on the 2nd day.

Yeah they caught some giants over span of the tourney. Definitely fun to watch streaming.

While I really enjoy the MLF format, I wish it could’ve been structured to where the anglers could’ve competed in both Elite Series and MLF Series events. I’m going to miss watching KVD, Hackney, Swindle, Palaniuk, Martens and the other Elite guys fishing in those Elite Series events. Going to have to learn a lot of new names.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I thought the coverage for the 1st MLF was just OK. They have a little work to do to get it to the quality of the BASS coverage. The coverage on BASS today has been excellent. It nice to see a mix of a few old faces as well as some new ones. I see local boy Seth caught the 1st limit of the morning. It only took him like 15 minutes. Nothing big but got a limit out of the way real fast. With 2 or 3 days coming up in the low 80’s. The big fish are going to start moving up on beds in large #’s. I think were going to see some BIG fish caught before this tourney is over.

blank

I looked at MLF’s website a week before their first bass pro tour event, and I couldn’t find a single their on their site about the BPT. Nothing about the anglers, the format, the event, nothing at all. That seemed very odd, considering all of the offseason talk about the huge changes in pro bass fishing and it was just a week away!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I looked at MLF’s website a week before their first bass pro tour event, and I couldn’t find a single their on their site about the BPT. Nothing about the anglers, the format, the event, nothing at all. That seemed very odd, considering all of the offseason talk about the huge changes in pro bass fishing and it was just a week away!

They do seem to be a bit slow coming out of the Gates. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out as the year goes along.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

My interest level has gone down slightly this year. I watched quite a bit of the first MLF BPT, but only a couple of hours worth on the second one. I’ve watched maybe an hours worth of BASS Live and maybe a couple of hours of FLW Live because Josh Douglas was fishing. FLW cutting Fantasy Fishing really cratered my level of interest in that Circut. I am paying attention to how the MN Anger’s are doing in FLW. I’ll probably watch quite a bit of the Bassmaster Classic coverage. I do love the MLF TV Show.

gonefishin

I watch a lot up until MN opener. Then I feel any minute watching on TV is a lost minute on the water. Even when the Elites were on ML, I couldn’t break away from fishing to watch the pros. Couldn’t even get myself to quit fishing to go to the weigh in. With Seth at Elites and Josh on FLW, I do need to check however to see how they are doing.

For me I would rather fish bass than walleyes but love them both. Attached are my two biggest of each from last year, one more fun than the other, no they both were a blast.

Attachments:
    1. 20181009_112819.jpg

2. 20180813_144806.jpg

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Would there be a way on this forum to set this up as a poll?

I do try to watch (most times just bits here and there) all 3 of the formats

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The Minnesota boys did well in FLW last tourney. I did hear a rumor over the weekend that the main owner of MLF did make a deal to purchase FLW. They plan on using it as a feeder system for those fishermen who want to get into MLF. That would be a shame if that were true. Then again most thought when so many fishermen jumped ship to MLF that one of the other players ( BASS and FLW ) would most likely not last long.

Charles

Yeah I have been hearing the grumbles today about it, it makes total sense.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The Minnesota boys did well in FLW last tourney. I did hear a rumor over the weekend that the main owner of MLF did make a deal to purchase FLW. They plan on using it as a feeder system for those fishermen who want to get into MLF. That would be a shame if that were true. Then again most thought when so many fishermen jumped ship to MLF that one of the other players ( BASS and FLW ) would most likely not last long.

Most jumped from the Elites. I think only a handful went from FLW. I think all three should be connected with FLW being the feeder tour and when you qualify you qualify for both BASS and MLF and choose which tour you want to be in. That way you could have qualifying tournaments in both tours for the Classic. The Classic is going to be rough without the best of the best there this coming year.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 565 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.