How long will the snow stay?

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Could be a sizable storm coming later this week. Maybe all rain, rain/snow mix, or all snow depending on the temps and location. A big rain event would really eat away the snow.

My neighbor was riding his motorcycle yesterday. A bit risky given all the potholes and sand everywhere, but I’m sure he’s desperate lol

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

It will he a while here. Especially with the foot+ of freah snow yesterday

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I was not able to make it out fishing at all this last weekend, but I had a few fishing buddies who did. They said the conditions on the ice were horrible in the areas they fished. A ton of slush on all the lakes they fished. They said the amount of snow still on some of the lakes is incredible. The ice is really waterlogged though. Once the snow cover is gone, I think the ice will go rather fast. One of my buddies took a rather long road trip. He went near park rapids, walker, and brainard area and said there were only a few fishermen out on all the lakes he checked out. Doesn’t seem like many are still out fishing

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Could be a sizable storm coming later this week. Maybe all rain, rain/snow mix, or all snow depending on the temps and location. A big rain event would really eat away the snow.

And a snow/rain event over the weekend plus the models show snow early next week. No real warm up in sight. Uggghhh!

Attachments:
    1. snow.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

And a snow/rain event over the weekend plus the models show snow early next week. No real warm up in sight. Uggghhh!

I’d be fine with all rain or mostly rain. Snow can go away now.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Update from the weekend 3/25-3/26 for northeaster MN.

Took my 12-year-old on a snowmobile tour from our farm east of Hinckley all the way up to near Bruno MN.

The good news is that it was nearly perfect snowmobiling weather. Lots of snow left in this area and I saw NO bare spots on any of the trails in over 100 miles of riding. Only the gravel parking lots and road crossings are melting off.

I would estimate in the woods and fields there is 12-18 inches of snow everywhere with the exception of south-facing slopes.

Warning: On areas that are exposed and melting like parking lots and gravel driveways that were covered with snow, the frost is out in some places and you can sink all the way to China. There are some really soft spots and that will only get worse this week. I don’t think there was very deep frost in some places before the snow covered the ground. Don’t get overconfident because you have 4WD, it’s going to get really, really soft in some areas over the next week. Don’t go anywhere you haven’t scoped out on foot first.

Also, don’t forget that much of NE MN has a lot of bent over and broken-off trees across driveways and trails from the December ice storm. If you haven’t been up to your cabin all winter, be ready to cut your way in.

I highly doubt there will be much bare ground by the end of this week in this area. And when everything does melt, it’s going to be very, very wet.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Come on!!! bawling
    Were still making ice.

Attachments:
    1. cold.png

glenn57
    cold spring mn

-1 here in Cold Spring! bawling doah

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Golfing in AZ >>> ice fishing. Maybe next year is the year

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Once we are finished with the Friday/Saturday storm, we can finally enjoy a warm Sunday that feels like Spring.

…and prepare for next week’s winter system on Wednesday smash

CaptainMusky

I was below zero too. By the time I got to work it was a balmy 5. 2 big storms appear to be coming with 50 degrees sandwiched on Sunday. What a rollercoaster. A coworker has spent the last 3 months working from her sister’s in Florida. She came back last week and had the balls to say “this isnt that bad”!? Good Lord, weve been living this for months and you say that after a couple days?

tswoboda

Beautiful morning actually

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230329_080622_The-Weather-Channel.jpg

CaptainMusky

Yeah the sun is a welcome sight, but dang it is bright and just at the right angle that when I back out of the driveway I cannot see squat!

Jimmy Jones

Thankfully the snow is really disappearing fast between Rochester and the Mississippi River and the backwaters are opening up. A buddy and I laid wreckage to open water crappies and perch yesterday morning starting with a temp of about 17 degrees. My second cast got the attention of a nice 12″ crappie. We caught maybe 30 with very few not seeing 11″.

Interestingly, the perch were large, only two that didn’t make 12″, and were taken in about 17 feet of water at 5 feet along with the crappies. I can’t remember catching perch up that high with the crappies…. and everything on plastics.

The bite window slammed shut at about 8:45 so we headed home and enjoyed the generally brown and mud colored scenery, spoiled only by an occasional patch of white that had refused to fall prey to the sun and really decent temperatures. I’ve gotten quite tired of white this winter.

FinnyDinDin

A bunch of guys were posting on here in early to mid March that they were putting their ice gear away for the year. That was when I knew we’d be in for a cold spring. It’s all your faults!

Still a few feet of snow up north and 16 inches forecasted over the next week. FML. This is the time of year that living up north sucks. Winter lasts 2-3 weeks long than the twin cities.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

A bunch of guys were posting on here in early to mid March that they were putting their ice gear away for the year. That was when I knew we’d be in for a cold spring. It’s all your faults!

I put up my snowblower for the season last weekend…… tongue

-J.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

spring is just around the corner…….seen my first morning dove this morning!!!!! whistling rotflol

nary a robin yet though!!!

ThunderLund78

Depending on temps – sounds like Friday into Saturday could get messy again here in Southern MN. Possibility of the rain turning to heavy wet snow. Shouldn’t stick around too much though. Highs near 50 to follow early next week – but even that wont last, no real warm up in sight.

CaptainMusky

spring is just around the corner…….seen my first morning dove this morning!!!!!

Ive had Robins for over a week and heard a Mourning Dove this morning.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Models are hinting at a warmup in 2 weeks so fingers crossed. Getting significant snow this time of year is far from unusual, but having the continuous snowpack that we’ve had is (talking south central MN). I get that there are those that love this extended winter, I used to be one of them, but this is getting old! bawling

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This looks like one of those years when we go directly from winter to summer. In 2018, we received over 13 inches of snow during a late April blizzard, and then it was 90 degrees by Memorial Day.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just looked at the forecast for the Detroit lakes area Finally a 40 Deg. day in the forecast. But that is not till April 12th. The last Day out in the forecast. The nighttime lows are still upper teens and low 20’s. I feel certain that we still have at least 2 more weeks of good ice for ice fishing in that area, and possibly even more. There is still a ton of snow and layered ice on top of the real ice surface. The good news is the ice itself is already rather wet and soft. I think once the snow on the surface is gone the ice will go rather fast. Who knows the forecast could change greatly is the next few days and it will be a different story. I’ve already cleared my calendar for at least the next 2 weekends. By far my favorite time to ice fish each season. With the extended season I’m making up for a shortage of fishing earlier in the season.

Charles

Rumor mill, might be a major system coming next week, Oh great!!

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

In Bemidji I would say enough to get us to winter 2024 where we can get some fresh snow.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5193-scaled.jpg

Jimmy Jones

Robins all over here. Have been for about three weeks. We listened to Sandhill cranes while fishing yesterday and on last Friday coming home thru Hastings, just south of, I saw Sandhills in several spots. Tons of Tundra Swans along the river too.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i did see 3 this afternoon headed to moms…..they were sticking to the fire hydrants!!! devil rotflol

seriously though they seemed to stay where these was no snow along the side of the street in peoples lawn.

the weather terrorists posted a winter weather watch for here earlier…..freezing rain thursday nite and up to 8 inches od snow friday!!!!!!yippee skippy!!!!!!!!11

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

maybe the glaciers are making a come back

CaptainMusky

Sandhill cranes are ridiculous around here right now. Dinosaur sounds all day

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 359 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.