How long will the snow stay?

• Michael Best

This looks like one of those years when we go directly from winter to summer. In 2018, we received over 13 inches of snow during a late April blizzard, and then it was 90 degrees by Memorial Day.

I remember that storm. Drive to Michigan for work the day after the storm.
    When I came back a couple weeks later it was 80 degrees and we put the boat in the water over in SD.
    While I was in Michigan I was able to fish St Clair for the day. 5 biggest smallies that day, were all over 5 lbs.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

I saw a sandhill crane walking across a pasture by a snowmobile trail south of Isle Monday.
    The snow pack has to be 24″ there.

CaptainMusky

Yep the flying dinosaurs are all over around my house. Saw the first one last week and now they are noisy as heck all day long.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yep the flying dinosaurs are all over around my house. Saw the first one last week and now they are noisy as heck all day long.

Lol they sound like a velociraptor smash

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I heard cranes the other day and saw two yesterday, as well. Waiting on the red-winged blackbirds!

CaptainMusky

Lol they sound like a velociraptor

I hadnt seen one my first 30 years of life. Then saw some by the Sherburne refuge while pheasant hunting. Now they are absolutely everywhere around me. I almost took out mama and her two babies a couple summers ago as they jumped out of the ditch right in front of me.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Haven’t seen a crane yet, but it’s interesting to see the geese and swans staking out their spots on local sloughs knowing it’s going to be a few weeks before we see open water. Pretty certain I heard the red-wing blackbirds on a slough behind my buddies house this past weekend.

CaptainMusky

We’ve had swans all winter. Since there is open water in Monticello and below the dam in Sartell they stick around now. Theyve been feeding on the manure the farmers have been spreading near my house LOL

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Then saw some by the Sherburne refuge

Oh ya there is a lot of them in that refuge and surrounding area.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I saw a lone crane in Woodbury this week. Thought it was a heron out of my side eye but nope. Swans have made a huge come back along with cranes.

ThunderLund78

WE had what I’m almost certain was a group of red-winged blackbirds in a tree across the street from my house in southern MN this last weekend. It made me think in general about blackbird migration. You see flocks of hundreds of thousands of Blackbirds preparing to migrate in the fall, but in the spring they come back through in much smaller groups and with far less urgency. Their process for dispersing into their summer range is not simply a reversal of gathering to travel to winter ranges. Had never really thought of that before.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Forecast is for 1/2 to 1 inch of rain in the next 24 hours and then 4-8 inches of snow after that.

Just wow.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Forecast is for 1/2 to 1 inch of rain in the next 24 hours and then 4-8 inches of snow after that.

Just wow.

My shovel and snowblower are put away for the season, I refuse to shovel again until next winter, it will just have to melt…

Charles

My shovel and snowblower are put away for the season, I refuse to shovel again until next winter, it will just have to melt…

That’s why we have 4 wheel drive trucks and suvs in Minnesota lol

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

It’s snowing balls out here doah

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Just heard thunder. Thought that wasn’t supposed to happen until tomorrow. It’s not even raining, sleeting or snowing right now.

Jimmy Jones

We have some off and on very light rain that’ll be over with in a short while. We have wind too and with the 39 degree temp its really eating into whatever snow is left. If the clouds vacated and that sun came out with the wind and temps the snow would fly in areas where its still hanging around.

We were in Centerville on Monday and there was still well over a foot there on flat areas. I know areas north have significantly more. Much of that will end up in the big river. I was at the Miss backwaters this morning fishing and the river is up a wee bit but not enough to fret over. Current was more noticeable today than on Tuesday, but still not enough to bother with the fishing and in fact probably helped it as it set up some nice seams and back flow. Those crappies and 13″-14″ perch sure did like the transition areas today. If the melt comes about nicely, things won’t be too bad. Heavy rain, wet snow, very warm temps….all might equate to poor mid-spring pannie fishing though.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Heavy rain last night at times, and a clap of thunder. Pretty steady rain again now. Eating away at the snow pack. Unfortunately I think we’ll be adding back to it tonight. doah

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Lots of thunder and lightning in our neck of the woods last night. It was pretty cool!

Jimmy Jones

1.42” of rail since 4AM when my gauge recycles. Just finished with a ten minute bout of 1/4” hail and very heavy rain. It comes in cycles. The Sun was almost peeking thru 20 minutes ago. Very weird weather.

CaptainMusky

Holy smoke Jimmy whereabouts are you?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Holy smoke Jimmy whereabouts are you?

Rochester..unlless hes vacationing in the desert again!!!!!! rotflol rotflol

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Just released:

Blizzard Warning
    URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
    National Weather Service Twin Cities/Chanhassen MN
    217 PM CDT Fri Mar 31 2023

…BLIZZARD WARNING EXPANDED EASTWARD TO INCLUDE THE TWIN CITIES
    METRO AND WESTERN WISCONSIN…
    …SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR ARE EXPECTED FOR
    SEVERAL HOURS WITH WIND GUSTS OF 40 TO 50 MPH…

.Widespread precipitation will develop late this afternoon and
    transition to heavy snow from northwest to southeast this evening.
    The snow could be very heavy at times with hourly rates of 1 to
    2.5 inches per hour. Strong north winds will develop with the
    heavy snow to produce whiteout conditions over a wide swath from
    west central and southwest Minnesota to west central Wisconsin.
    The worst conditions are expected between 9 PM and 4 AM, with
    snow and strong winds tapering off toward early Saturday morning.

Total snowfall amounts will range from 5 to 10 inches from west
    central and southwest Minnesota to west central Wisconsin, with 2
    to 5 inches north of Glenwood and St Cloud, and along I-90.
    Locally higher amounts are possible if snowfall rates exceed 2
    inches per hour.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>
    I put up my snowblower for the season last weekend…… tongue

-J.

You are in for a rude awakening.

Ummm, yeah….. doah

-J.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

that wind is really howling up here!!!!!!

JEREMY
    BP

The girlfriend was just picking up the kids at school and got blasted with hail.

ThunderLund78

Blizzard warning now extended to pretty much all of southern MN. Wind starting to pick up more by me now in the south metro. Thunder rumbling in the distance, gonna get nasty later.

Viewing 30 posts - 211 through 240 (of 359 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.