How long will the snow stay?

• gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I can’t believe this but there is actually a chance of snow on Sunday. Difficult to imagine but its possible.

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

Still going to be here awhile for my backyard and fire pit here outside Cloquet.
    Those 4 Adirondack chairs with 18” of snow around them are sitting on my 16’ poured/stamped concrete fire ring pad. The three foot steel ring sits sunk at pad level in the middle.

Attachments:
    1. EC82DA7D-3D28-47DE-9C9F-FED481A556AF-scaled.jpeg

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Thanks Musky waytogo I worked for DCI in st cloud for 28 years before I became a union thug. They gave me that when I retired.

lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I know it’s temporary, but I can’t F-ing believe we have snow again. I can’t see grass anymore!! smash

The_Bladepuller
    Participant
    South end

I couldn’t see grass earlier today but since the wind had now piled it all up in drifts a few blades are poking out.
    I saw a boat at a dock on the channel when I went by ML resort earlier.

Sioux
    Participant

7 inches of snow in the central MN today…it was a gut punch and depressing. I don’t see myself living here much longer, the duration of winter is too much. 4 of the last 5 winters have been top 10 all time snowfalls

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Looks like another potential rain/snow maker coming in on Wednesday-Thursday. Looks like mostly rain for now. Forecast looks more like spring than summer at least for the foreseeable future.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

We picked up ~3-4″ here.

One of our leasers has ~30 acres of sweet corn planted from last week Wednesday. We will see how that goes with 4″ of snow cover.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

As of 7pm last night on April 16, Duluth had recorded 135.1 inches of snow this winter. Their all time record is 135.4 inches. They may have surpassed it over night for the snowiest winter on record. They’ve been keeping official track at the Duluth airport since 1941.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

5 or 6 inches here. Snowed all day but little additional accumulation. The radio this morning said we were within a few tenths of a inch of snow for the all time record but final totals from yesterday were not in yet. Something North of 87 inches.

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

About 2 yesterday afternoon I noticed the snow had started here in Rochester, then the wind got in the act. We were having a belated Easter dinner with the kids and grandkids. We came home about 5:30 on roads that weren’t bad but the snow in the grass, which had been getting nice and green, just had me pi$$ed. Then I came across this photo of February 29th, 2019. I’m standing in our driveway. That year was the absolute pits for snowfall and getting the white $hit to go away seemed to take forever and drying out after it was gone took even longer.

We have been in the yard and gardens working and just last Friday I told Ma that we could use a little rain, so this little punch of snow answered that need. For us anyway.

I’ve always held the couple, three weeks surrounding Easter as a time of renewal. Looking out the window this morning at the snow devils blowing thru the neighbor’s yard, while I am dressed again in winter clothes when a week ago I was in short everything, sort of wants to test my beliefs right now. Then I look at that picture and remember what real “white” misery was and it sort of puts this short term stuff in perspective.

Then I remember that I have fishing plans for tomorrow, know that this white crud is going to put the damper on those. Where’s that picture again….

Attachments:
    1. 341476475_888342785578687_3264842342363043691_n.jpg

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Sheesh Jimmy that is quite the pile of snow!

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

That picture was taken the day my faithful Ariens crapped out on me. A new one was delivered later that day to finish the task of getting any new snow OVER the top of that ridiculous drift.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

There’s no longer a question about flooding. And it wasn’t created by rain.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Chanhassen is now up to 101.7″ of snow this winter, surpassing the previous record of 90.2″ in 2010-2011.

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

“As of 7pm last night on April 16, Duluth had recorded 135.1 inches of snow this winter. Their all time record is 135.4 inches. They may have surpassed it over night for the snowiest winter on record. They’ve been keeping official track at the Duluth airport since 1941.”

That record will be history by Friday morning, another 3.5 predicted for Thursday afternoon thru Friday morning.
    Had to snowblow and shovel everything yesterday, not what I was hoping to have to do but with an even 6″ it was too much to let go with cold temp’s this week and more on the way. I am so over this winter……….

lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

It’s snowing in Duluth right now. So I’m guessing it’s officially the snowiest record for Duluth?

I do see snow on the forecast in my area too after this rain comes through doah

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

The record was broken overnight. Last official season total I saw was 137.1 which was as of 5 AM with more on the way the next day or two

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

@xplorer have you guys lost much of the snowpack yet?

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

Alot of it did go last week, but the woods are still holding snow. Sundays snow had just melted off by last night.
    With the snowpack going down we are really getting a glimpse of all of the destruction that the heavy snowstorm in December did. Just on my 2.5 acres I bet I have a couple hundred snapped off trees of all kinds, birch, popple and balsam mostly. I’ll be having alot of brushpile burns this summer.
    A bit more snow last night, and now sleet/ice and 30-40 east winds. Showing another 3″ of snow tonight thru tomorrow. Was hoping to get the Tyee out on Superior this weekend, but looking like it’ll be another week.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

It’s coming down pretty good at the cabin right now

Attachments:
    1. A4CD6E7B-45CF-46CA-B155-D2F785F27B54.png

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Grounds white here again. It was thundering earlier.

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

5 fresh inches today for us and still going.
    Merry Christmas everyone! toast

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

April 20th snowball fight.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230420_163042812_HDR-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

does anyone check out bring me the news????? yesterday there was a piece about Loons falling out of the sky in northern Mn and northern Wi. apparently this rain, sno freezing rain is an issue to loons. they get this crap on there wings and makes it impossible to fly and they fall out of the sky????

ThunderLund78
    Participant

does anyone check out bring me the news????? yesterday there was a piece about Loons falling out of the sky in northern Mn and northern Wi. apparently this rain, sno freezing rain is an issue to loons. they get this crap on there wings and makes it impossible to fly and they fall out of the sky????

Yeah I read about that. The article I read was actually encouraging people to recuse them, and listed instructions for how to do so. The issue is, once they hit the ground, they can’t walk and they need about 300ft of water to take off, not to mention at least another few hundred ft to get their speed up to gain altitude. There’s not enough state resources to do a full-time loon rescue so they they’re asking for the public’s help if they find one. They suggest throwing a blanket on it, wrapping it up and taking it to a large enough body of water and releasing. I’ve gotten pretty close by accident on a kayak when they’ve been on nest. They’re MEAN critters when cornered or threatened – like a goose with a dagger.

Anyway, after seeing them perform a normal landing on water, I can only imagine what a cannonball an iced-up loon would be. I have to think a vast majority are injured upon landing and will never make it.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230424_080800_Google.jpg

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Yeah that is really sad. I hope I dont see any but if I do I will be sure to capture it.

Viewing 29 posts - 331 through 359 (of 359 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.