How long will the snow stay?

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good news is looks like we are sledding this weekend after taking last one off!

ThunderLund78

Just got done with the driveway, spent about half the time poking giant slush turds out of the chute. But probably had 5-6″ in the far southern metro. Would actually prefer colder temps if we’re gonna get snow like this so it’s not so heavy. But what are ya gonna do, it’s MN in March. Bigger storm and forecasted temps of high 20s – mid 30s all week means even more fun to come!

CaptainMusky

THunderlund you are not helping my hatred for this white crap right now. LOL

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We had another slushy inch or so here along Pool 4, with some pretty steady rains first until 11:00 or so last night.

I am ready for it to be done. Some people love Spring, but I hate this early part leading into it. Everything is wet and sloppy. Simple tasks take significantly longer with getting stuck becoming a regular occurrence.

tim hurley

Until we start subtracting its hard to predict when it will go away-another even larger storm is coming on Thursday.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Right now the Winter storm warning in this area is calling for 4-7″ from Thur. afternoon – Friday morning. In addition to that they are now also forecasting another 1-3 Sat. daytime and 1-3 Sat. night. If you add up all those lows its 6″ and if the highs it 13″. Sure hope its the lower totals. Another 13″ will sure make a ton of it around here.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

last night channel 4 said we are currently at the 12th snowiest on record and by the time this system is done we could be at #5, with more to come.

might as well go for the record!!!!! devil rotflol

i might be showing my age but i remember when 4-7 inches of snow was a nothing burger!!!!! doah

CaptainMusky

might as well go for the record!!!!!

I agree! If we are this close lets get it! It does look like the path shifted a bit South and the amounts reduced from what I was seeing yesterday.

Gitchi Gummi

i might be showing my age but i remember when 4-7 inches of snow was a nothing burger!!!!! doah

back when you had to walk to school uphill both ways? lol ;)

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

March 7, 2023 at 10:34 am#2186690
    last night channel 4 said we are currently at the 12th snowiest on record and by the time this system is done we could be at #5, with more to come.
    might as well go for the record!!!!!

i might be showing my age but i remember when 4-7 inches of snow was a nothing burger!!!!!

If they predict that much, everything shuts down. If its an overnight surprise, nothing shuts down……

glenn57
    cold spring mn

waytogo rotflol got that right Gitchi!!!!!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

back when you had to walk to school uphill both ways? lol ;)

You forgot the carrying you brother on your back and also barefoot in -40 Deg.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I just want to be able to walk around in my yard without snow shoes!!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looks like its shifting further south on Thurs/Fri. Southern MN and northern Iowa have the highest snow totals now.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Looks like its shifting further south on Thurs/Fri. Southern MN and northern Iowa have the highest snow totals now.

booooooooooooo.

CaptainMusky

I noticed that yesterday too. They can have it though it would be nice to break the record since we are close.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

I noticed that yesterday too. They can have it though it would be nice to break the record since we are close.

well we do have the boys BB tourney coming up!!!!1

CaptainMusky

Yep, HS state tourney time is always when we can expect to get walloped.

Jimmy Jones

Yep, HS state tourney time is always when we can expect to get walloped.

If that’s the case, have the tourneys during Christmas break. Kids won’t miss school and our spring will get here that much faster. As I get older I become less and less a fan of white at this time of year.

CaptainMusky

I remember in HS the first day of the boys state hockey tourney it started snowing around 9 am by noon we got out early and had a foot of snow. It was wild.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

with the snow currently on the ground, its not looking like i”ll plant anything in the garden till mid June!!!! whistling doah

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Was just up in the Hinckley area last weekend. I would say in most areas where there is little to no drifting there is between 18 and 24 inches of compacted snow on the ground. In most places it was compacted enough that I could walk on top of it without breaking through, so it is quite solid.

I have to think we aren’t going to get much in the way of melting over the next 2 weeks unless the forecast is very, very wrong as far as highs. Probably start to lose a little snow under trees, on hillsides, and next to buildings that conduct heat. But even here in the Cities highs are only a few degrees above freezing and lots of cloudy days in the forecast.

But with all that said, it’s looked bleak before as far as spring being very late and then one good rain followed by a couple of bright days and suddenly we’re back on track.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Was just up in the Hinckley area last weekend. I would say in most areas where there is little to no drifting there is between 18 and 24 inches of compacted snow on the ground. In most places it was compacted enough that I could walk on top of it without breaking through, so it is quite solid.

I have to think we aren’t going to get much in the way of melting over the next 2 weeks unless the forecast is very, very wrong as far as highs. Probably start to lose a little snow under trees, on hillsides, and next to buildings that conduct heat. But even here in the Cities highs are only a few degrees above freezing and lots of cloudy days in the forecast.

But with all that said, it’s looked bleak before as far as spring being very late and then one good rain followed by a couple of bright days and suddenly we’re back on track.

Agree with all this. The snow being compacted is key. I have large areas that is upwards of 30” of compacted snow. Almost like solid ice from the crazy rains we’ve had. Add in some 6 foot piles and it’s gonna be awhile yet!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Yep. The Winter storm watch for this area now says from late Thur. afternoon thru late Thur. night 3-5″ possible. Now no snow on Friday and still 1-3 on Sat. I can live with this. It is getting old though. I keep telling myself only 1 more month and it will get better.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It is getting old though. I keep telling myself only 1 more month and it will get better.

I think I am going to settle for season C spring turkey hunting solely based on the fact that there is still going to be snow during season A, and possibly B unless something drastic happens in the next month here.

JEREMY
    BP

The snow will be gone for turkey season beginning.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The snow will be gone for turkey season beginning.

Season A is from April 12-18th . If you are willing to bet that the snow will be all gone from Central Minnesota by then, I want in on that bet.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I tell you what it sure is a beautiful evening here in Minnesota though. Quiet slow snowfall. Wonderful time to grill some steaks and enjoy a cold one after a day’s work

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Season A is from April 12-18th . If you are willing to bet that the snow will be all gone from Central Minnesota by then, I want in on that bet.

I want in too.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 359 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.