Montana deer/Elk Tag

• weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Montana elk/deer tag apply deadline is April 1st if anyone plans on it. I will be Heading west again this year for my second go around. If I don’t get drawn, can at least get cow and anterless whitetail tags OTC in the area we hunt which is a nice fall back option. Looking forward to another year out there.

Nitrodog

I will probably be taking this year off from western hunting. I will be drawing an Iowa deer tag. I have been hunting out west the last 4 years

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Iowa will be a nice change of scenery! Where out west did you hunt?

Ben K.

I’m going to throw my hat into the ring in New Mexico this year (deadline March 20). I figure I’ve blown money on worse things and it would be pretty sweet if I actually get drawn.

If not NM, likely OTC in Colorado.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

New Mexico would be fun, hope you get drawn.

Montana changes their system in 2022. If you don’t apply (non-residents) every other year you loose your preference points so I lost my point from the first time I applied, just finding this out the last few days researching. So, the allocations are 0 points 25% of tags, 1 point 0%, 2 points 25% and 3+ is 50%. I’m starting from scratch so better off applying with out purchasing a preference point. Later in the year there is an open period to purchase just preference points, which I will have to do.

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

Montana application-the application calls for the date your hunter safety card was issued. My son’s MN card only has his birthdate on it. Montana says the date is mandatory. What have others done? Thank you!

isu22andy

Montana application-the application calls for the date your hunter safety card was issued. My son’s MN card only has his birthdate on it. Montana says the date is mandatory. What have others done? Thank you!

It’s been a few years but I think I guesstimated that info with no issues.

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

Thanks Andy. We did call the DNR on Saturday and left a voicemail. They called us back today and gave us the date.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Well I just threw my name in for another SD archery deer tag. If I get drawn I’ll be going solo for the first time which should be interesting. After last year I’m excited to get back out there. Anyone still looking to apply you have until the 18th.

Michael Best

I am in the SD archery public land draw.
    I have to use my Kansas point this year or I loose it. Can’t make up my mind if I want to hunt KS or not.
    Ne is going to a draw for Archery this year so I will be putting in for that. No more 2 Archery either sex tags for me any more.
    I have gave up on Utah, Co and Az.
    The units I want to hunt are just creeping away.
    After doing a ton of research on MT I just can’t come up with a unit I want to hunt. So I have never gotten into the game for out there.
    I should do a 4th season rifle deer hunt in Co but don’t want to give up Midwest archery rut hunting.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Good luck in the draws! It will be fall before we know it!

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Only one in our group got drawn this year for a bull/deer combo tag. Cow only for me and the rest.

Michael, we hunt in the 416, 446, 451 and 452 units of Montana. Last time I went a couple years ago we saw a lot of elk with some descent bulls. We went during the first week of rifle season, which is busy, quite a few people around. Going later this year, mid November I think, hoping for snow on the ground and less people.

Hopefully others can get a tag.

Michael Best

Good luck this fall Weedis. I hope you get the snow you’re looking for. It sure helps getting the animals moving for those later dates.

The 4 units you posted are why I have never found a unit in MT that screamed come hunt me.
    Relatively low elk densities and sprinkle in a bunch of pressure points to small chances of success.

For comparison I hunted a mid tier unit in Wyoming one year. It had 3X the densities of those units you listed. As far as habitat goes it had roughly 1/4 the habitat, so it compressed the elk into a smaller area. Throw in lite hunting pressure and a person can get spoiled.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.