Headlamp for Boat and Ice fishing

• acarroline

My current headlamp isn’t anything special and apparently doesnt like the cold as it went from fully charged to dead in 5 minutes this weekend. The temp never got below 35 and it was in a cooler (for insulation from cold) with other batteries that had a hot hand in it. It is a dual power source so switched it to aaa batteries and it worked but disappointing to say the least.

Looking for a headlamp, small enough to be manageable, waterproof/dustproof, good lumens for spotlight, ability to change to a lower setting or dimming capabilities, red light option, locking option, and ideally the option to run on a usb rechargeable battery and AA or AAA for backup. Number one factor is for it to have a power source I can trust and count on for cold weather activities.

Favorite headlamps I’ve used are the Black Diamond Storm 400 (not rechargeable, built like a tank, spotlight is ok not remarkable) and the Petzl Artik Core rechargeable 450 (dual power, compact, was bright, had red LED, seemed to hold up in cold…lost this one unfortunately).

Recommendations???

tswoboda

Nitcore NU35 if the AA/AAA backup is an absolute must. Otherwise get a light that runs off a single 18650/21700. A lot of those style are still compatible with CR123 batteries which can be bought at a lot of gas stations but obviously not a common size you’ll have on hand like AA or AAA. The Nitecore HC35 is a good example.

Red light capability is way overrated to me. Much prefer a super dim white light in any situation most people are using the red light.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have been running a rechargeable husky brand from home depot. It has 4 bright settings, zooms in and out, has blood tracker and red light and also can do 3 aaa batteries for a back up. I’ve had mine over a year and it’s better then most other spendy headlights I’ve used, and it doesn’t have the stupid back battery pack. I have one that takes a beating at work and 1 that’s used for ice fishing, boat, and hunting. Best all around bang for the buck.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Just bought a fenix hm50r. Haven’t used it very much yet but reviews were very favorable

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Usually have a couple Black Diamond 450R’s in the boat or ice bag. I think you get what you pay for with headlamps. Im rough on them, and can usually sleep sound knowing it’s only a $50 light.

NitCore, Petzyl, Lux. Even Costco brand. All are ok, I find myself going back to Black Diamond

isu22andy

I have a Danforce rechargeable one off Amazon . Wish it was dimmable . It’s crazy crazy bright – can headlamps be too bright for fishing at night ? Real question there . I would think they’d get skittish casting the shallows at night .

keppenhiemer
    (507) MN

Milwaukee-2111-21-Rechargeable

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

This is a large long lasting headlamp but it’s a good quality lamp and fits my needs well. The Nebo mycro. Quality metal hat clip or strap. Quality power button. 3 brightness settings and red and green. USB charging and light setting is simply programmable to turn on to the setting you want. Brightest light setting lasts a hour to hour and a half. That’s not real long but it’s not real often I have it on for more than a few minutes at a time. Think they run about $25 now.

Here is a 2 pack for $25

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240206_051110_Chrome.jpg

stevenoak

Match the battery life of whatever you buy to your needs. I bought the best Black Diamond. No way ever need the high settings. But if you look at the battery life on a cheap lamp running on high. It can be less than an hour. The Black diamond running on lower settings, I can go on a week fishing trip and not charge it all week or buy back up batteries. Few packs of batteries negate the savings of a cheaper lamp. Also a few prior headlamp discussions here if you search.

Gregg Gunter

This is a large long lasting headlamp but it’s a good quality lamp and fits my needs well. The Nebo mycro. Quality metal hat clip or strap. Quality power button. 3 brightness settings and red and green. USB charging and light setting is simply programmable to turn on to the setting you want. Brightest light setting lasts a hour to hour and a half. That’s not real long but it’s not real often I have it on for more than a few minutes at a time. Think they run about $25 now.

Here is a 2 pack for $25

I remember you mentioning these before, Mike. I don’t run into them often so this is a good reminder. I’m going to rechargeable and stop messing with AAA’s.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This is the husky I have. Its great. And it’s found at every home depot. And if anything goes bad on it, husky has a super easy walk in to home depot and exchange policy. I have gone through lots and lots of head lamps. This 30 dollar value is the best I’ve found. The battery will last me all weekend on a camping trip. I’m done spending money on the fancy head lamps. Like I said I use one daily on my hard hat and then another for my out door hobbies

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240206_061341_Chrome.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Its a little heavy but not bad, the coast xph34r. Super bright 2000 lumens rechargeable and can use AAA if needed for a back up. The charge lasts a long time depending on how bright you run it. They also have a bunch of other ones.

Deuces

Nitecore nc60

I don’t have luck keeping batteries around or knowing when they’ll go out. Add in the expense of batteries over a few years it’s adds up to the same as a rechargeable. I like having the extra lumens at times, finding docks, finding tracks, etc. Like the fact I can chuck it in truck and don’t need to worry about it turning on inadvertently, has delayed ‘on’ switch unlike cheaper versions. Fish house lights at times dont work, can just hang a rechargeable upside down without worry she going down in an hour. Give to the kiddos to run around at night camping knowing it’ll be good all weekend.

I like the battery and light together, when u have the battery on back of head that’s one more wire to break, one gets used to the weight pretty quickly.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Nitecore hc65 is what I currently use. It is a great light. Rechargeable battery that you can replace. It also lasts a full work day and then some. I used foxelli for a while, but the power cord from the battery pack to light kept breaking.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

It was years ago when Eelpout recommended Nitecore here. I got one and have been happy with it. I have the older version and the only problem I have with it is it has a blue light to inform you to charge it. That light stays on until the battery dies. ??? The new ones don’t do this.

Charles

Black Diamond USB or the Tripple A models are awesome products.

Gitchi Gummi

I’ve owned dozens of headlamps over the years. The two black diamond ones I own are by far the best ones I’ve ever owned and the only kind I buy anymore.

acarroline

Lots of good info already. Leaning towards another Black Diamond Storm as my history has been good with it and I found a 400 on sale. Granted they don’t have the dual power source but going with lithium batteries and a set of rechargeable energizers in the case as a backup seems like a reasonable compromise as I have those already.

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

I recently purchased a LED Lenser MH10 and it has been awesome for me so far. I purchased a handfull of spare EBL 3.7V 18J rechargeable batteries for spares, those batteries also fit in small flashlights that I have so there was some cross over. Really like the light and battery platform.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Energizer 450 lumens can not be beat and found almost everywhere. Have 3 that are 6 years old and no problems.

3Rivers

I spend hundreds of days in the boat and out on the ice at night. I’ve used a lot of good ones and a lot of duds.
    For the past couple of years this Coast XPH34R has been my bread and butter. I recommend it for sure:

https://amzn.to/49sAwCH

tswoboda

Any of the lights that run on an 18650 or 21700 lithium cell (lots of them recommended here) are going to have so much more juice and run time than the lights that run on rechargeable packs or AA/AAA. They’re really not comparable.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m too lazy to look up all the suggested models, but are there any people would recommend that clip onto the bill of a hat?

I don’t want to mess with Velcro straps or whatever else going over my head. I usually only need mine for a 5 minute shot or so and then it’s off. I also don’t like lighting up more than I need to, as it takes longer for my eyes to readjust then when I turn the light back off. I had some of the cheap $5 bill ones but got sick of them eating batteries. Something a tad more expensive but still can be used on the bill of a hat makes sense for me.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The coast FL1R would meet your needs and can be used with the strap or clipped on. Only 300 lumens but sounds like what your looking for.

basseyes

Pretty big fan of coast headlamps. Been bullet proof for a lot of different stuff. Only gripe is battery life isn’t stellar. But I’ll forgo that issue for durability and an adjustable beam. Use 4 small petzel tiny ones as emergency ones stuffed in bags, backpacks or vehicles. Great battery life and so small can stuff them just about anywhere.

Use rechargeable batteries in the coast’s but they typically don’t have a great life span between charges. If need a little more power and life span go with a non rechargeable battery.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My current favorite is a Petzl Actik Core. It is awesome. Rechargeable, and in a pinch, you can throw AAA batteries in, too. I’ve had a lot of good headlamps, but this is the best…so far.

acarroline

Not a fan of the over the top of head straps, either.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not a fan of the over the top of head straps, either.

Me either. Not at all.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.