Headlamp for Boat and Ice fishing

• tswoboda

OLight Perun 2???

Solid choice of that’s the style of light you want. I’m a big fan, the brightness rivals my qbeam

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Nitecore hc65 are great plenty light and rechargable

acarroline

How do those nightcore 65’s do without the strap over the top of the head? Seems like the Nitecore NU50 may be a nice option. Now I’m rethinking my original things I thought I wanted and am interested in these rechargeables with high light. Still going to keep my BD Storm’s for lithium battery use but may try one of these higher end models with a lot of lumens for lighting up shore when walking in or docking boat too.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Not a fan of the over the top of head straps, either.

Not a fan of any strap around my head. Instant headache. My light has to clip onto the bill of a baseball hat.

-J.

acarroline

Nitecore NU50 should handle the cold weather. Still need a little case for carry but this may be the route.$65

Nitecore 65UHE can go without the top strap, 5 year warranty with removable battery whereas the NU series is 2 year warranty with not replaceable battery. UHE $80 and comes with case. Hmmmm…..

Deuces

Interesting so many fellas don’t like the overhead strap. If I only have the one band it will need to be tighter which is more uncomfortable than 3 sides more loose. I like the added security to my head as well. To each their own.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I don’t love the over the head strap either but like dueces mentioned keeping the top part loose its not so bad. Half the time I’m wearing a beanie anyway. I only use the super bright one I first mentioned trying to come back to the dock or see my way off a frozen lake at dark. I usually have a few packed.

acarroline

Nitecore HC65 UHE, additional Nitecore “Cold Weather” Battery, comes with case, free shipping, coupon code…$107 out the door.

Deuces

I will mention the only thing I wish I had was more of a spotlight integrated w a headlight. My light is excessively bright on high but not necessarily concentrated. More of a beam would be useful to find landings/docks/shorelines/flags.

3Rivers

I will mention the only thing I wish I had was more of a spotlight integrated w a headlight. My light is excessively bright on high but not necessarily concentrated. More of a beam would be useful to find landings/docks/shorelines/flags.

Some of the higher end headlamps (like the one I linked previously) have a focus lens/ring so you get the best of both. I tell ya what 1000+ lumens focused is a pretty impressive spotlight and reaches way out there if needed.

acarroline

Wish that coast had a red light option 3Rivers

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have one of these I barely use but when I do its great.
    Comes in a two pack now.

Update-IDO wont let me paste the address.

Try searching the description in Amazon:
    Headlamp Rechargeable 2PCS, 230° Wide Beam Head Lamp LED with Motion Sensor for Adults – Camping Accessories Gear, Waterproof Head Light Flashlight for Hiking, Running, Repairing, Fishing, Cycling

Dave maze
    Isanti

The only downside to the top strap is it messes up your hair.

tswoboda

Just curious what do you want the red light for?

acarroline

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>acarroline wrote:</div>

My eyes handle the red light better in low light conditions, seem to readjust quicker. Also doesn’t seem to attract as many bugs. Examples would be when sitting around the fire, in a tent, in the boat while trolling or watching bobbers, in the ice shack when you want lights off as to not spook fish. I would imagine you can use low white light settings for all this and maybe it is just me/my eyes but red seems to work well for me in those applications.

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>acarroline wrote:</div>

My eyes really get flooded out pretty easy, even the lowest setting on a lamp it will take awhile for my eyes to readjust. Use the red often for rebaiting and even retying, plus I’m part ninja so it satisfies my need for stealth.

I have a real pet peeve guys shining the water….

tswoboda

Gotcha that’s what I figured. For pulling weeds, re-baiting, re-tying, etc. and not ruining my night vision I way prefer a super low white light to the red. I always used to use the red mode but have a light now with a <1 lumen white mode they call something like moonlight or firefly mode. Whatever it is it’s got all the benefits of the red light and you can still see color. “Low” mode on most headlamps though I’d agree red is better.

acarroline

Heck with it. Ordered the Nitecore HC65 UHE with extra cold weather battery. Time will tell. Thank you for the input and discussion. I hope to share how it works in another gear report after a trip but the ice isn’t doing us any favors this year (

3Rivers

Ironically, that’s the reason I like it. ) I don’t use red light and the extra push of the button irritates me.

I also have the Coast WHP34R which does have the red option (as well as green too). It has a fixed spotlight and fixed wide angle and then combined. It’s actually brighter than the XPH but I like the focus ring.

Here’s a video I did comparing the two. Both are really nice:

acarroline

Real cool 3Rivers. Lots of good options out there and everyone seems to value different options, I learned that in this process.

acarroline

I received the Nitecore HC65 UHE and extra battery yesterday. Charged fast, seems to be built well, fits good without the top headstrap, carrying case is convenient, and the light seems pretty powerful in the backyard. Time will tell…

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Can you please share where you got it from and how much it cost?

acarroline

Nitecore HC65 UHE, additional Nitecore “Cold Weather” Battery, comes with case, free shipping, coupon code…$107 out the door.

$107 and some cents out the door as described above. Nitecore stor3e website, 10% off first order.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Any one run a nitecore nu43 ? Looks like it is directed to joggers more then anything but it’s light weight and plenty bright for all my needs. I found a sweet sale and ordered 2 of them for 75 bucks shipped, so 37 a piece, made it worth the gamble.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I have a few “Coast” brand ones came in a 3 pack at costco. Battery life is so-so at best, but you can focus the light by twisting the bezel, which my milwaukee one cannot do. So I keep those Coast ones in all my outdoor stuff and the milwaukee one stays in my glove box for truck stuff.

acarroline

Bearcat, I looked hard at the NU43 and NU 50. Called into Nitecore and had a good conversation with Customer Service. They asked me what I was going to use it for, which features are important…etc. What got me on the HC 65UHE vs those two was the ability to have a second (removable) battery, the additional lumens, and the 5 year vs 2 year warranty. For what it’s worth. But getting two at the price you mentioned seems like an absolute steal!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have 14 head lamps, why do I fell I need one more?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bearcat, I looked hard at the NU43 and NU 50. Called into Nitecore and had a good conversation with Customer Service. They asked me what I was going to use it for, which features are important…etc. What got me on the HC 65UHE vs those two was the ability to have a second (removable) battery, the additional lumens, and the 5 year vs 2 year warranty. For what it’s worth. But getting two at the price you mentioned seems like an absolute steal!

The removable battery would be nice. I have 4 batteries for my 2 husky lamps. Adding 2 more was not necessary at all but I like to have stuff lol. It’s Definitely a problem I have.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have 14 head lamps, why do I fell I need one more?

Don’t worry Brian, I was just in the same boat and bought 2 more for no apparent reason besides I kind of wanted To.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.