Grass River Lodge-Outpost cabins- File Lake Any Tips?

• Lawrence Brew

We are heading to Grass River Lodge in early June. Fly fishing for pike in shallows. Then fishing for walley and lake trout. We are staying in fly in outpost cabins. Any tips on where to fish and what size color flies, jigs and any other tips would be appreciated! Tight lines!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

We fish Reed lake which the Grass River Feeds into or out of each early June. I have never fly fished for pike, so I am no help for you on that. I would Definitely make sure you have some Heavy baitcasting or spinning gear along as well as some large pike baits just in case the fly thing does not work out. We have ran into a few guys on Reed who had planned on fishing the Pike on Fly fishing gear and just could not make it work as well as they hoped. As far as the Pike baits go we normally fish large plastics ( Bulldogs ) or large glide style baits ( Phantom Softails ) Large Rattling baits like The bucher Rattler or the Bill Lewis Supertrap can also be real good. For the Lake trout we fish mostly lipless rattlebaits like the Rattletrap or Rapala Clackin Rap. As far as the walleyes go, all you need is a assortment of Jigheads and plastics and rapala Jerkbaits ( If your willing to lose a fair # of them to large pike. Hope the flyfishing works out for you but be prepared just in case it doesn’t. Rather or not the pike will still be in the shallow water and bays will greatly depend on how long the ice has been out. If close to ice out they still should be. If its been 2-3 weeks and the water temps warm quickly they will be done and out of the shallow water. Reed lake has had ice out as early as Early May and as late as the 2nd week in June. We always plan our trip for the 1st part of June and hope were not to late or possibly even to early.

Have a Great Trip and be sure to give us a update with lots of pictures !!!

Lawrence Brew

fishthumper-Thanks so much for the info. I wll let youknow how we do. When were you last up there?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

fishthumper-Thanks so much for the info. I wll let youknow how we do. When were you last up there?

It was in June of 2019. The border was closed the following 2 summers. We are planning on being there early June this year. Really looking forward to the trip. There is a fun little video of the trip on YouTube if you want to check it out. Just search reed lake Manitoba June 2019. It’s the one posted by Margaret Osgood. Now that I’m at work I can add the link to the video.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.