Red Lake last weekend (pics)

• jesse
    mn

Had the catch of a lifetime, read on to the bottom for complete details

Headed up to Red for a Friday to Monday trip. Twelve of us made the trip and the results for all were the same S..L..O..W!! There were plenty of fish caught it just took the time and patience for them to come through.

We fished out of sleepers with 4 guys per shack. Our group did not catch a single crappie and from talking to others seems there were a couple being caught here and there.

The walleyes seemed to be roaming about everywhere. There seems to be a good healthy population of all sizes in this fishery. We caught fish ranging from 8 inches up to 25 inches. There did not seem to be a big preference to any type of bait, the only thing I could ascertain was that a full minnow rigged on any color and type of jig would catch fish. They did not seem to care about the type of minnow either, as we caught fish on crappie minnows, fatheads and suckers. As long as it was alive they would bite.

The catch of a lifetime story: So we were partaking in a little celebration Sat night when my buddy decides to drop my favorite bottle of firewater down the hole. Let me tell you they do not float. Needless to say I was more than a little miffed. I dropped down the camera, and witnessed my firewater bottle that had submarined head first into the bottom of the lake. It was sticking straight up like a Russian ICBM. The only thing I could think was that this hole would be dead, as every fish that swam by would be spooked by it, either that or we created structure and I would have the hottest hole in the shack.

I quickly fashioned a lassoo (sp?) out of the rattle reel line and attached a weight to the bottom of it and lowered it into the depths. Another buddy kept saying there was no way that would work. I just kept telling him you have a 100% chance of not getting it by doing nothing and that this would work. After approx 45 min and a couple of line adjustments the line was around the bottle. Another great use for a underwater camera. I slid another weight down the line to help hit the slip knot and tighten it. I set the hook and yelled I got it. I pulled fast and hard to keep the line tight and the bottle came shooting back up into the shack. Who says a little perseverance and ingenuity don’t pay off

Pics are a couple of the walleyes and the glass bottle that did not get away

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.