Upper Red, How’s the bite? Ice?

• Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

I’ll be going out of Westwind tomorrow afternoon. How’s the bite been? Any suggestions on jigs and baits would be great. How are the roads?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

We went out of Hillmans last week. Fished 6 miles out. Managed 15 crappies for 2 days. Never touched a fish durig the day.
    The roads getting to the lake where getting pretty rough. Lots of mud. Then the first couple hundred feet of shoreline was under water. After that it was smooth sailing.

Check out Scott stiels report from a couple of weeks back. Sounds like they had some day time action fishing in closer to shore.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Talked to a friend last night, bite was pretty good. I am guessing they were out of WW. Red Glow jigs will work, just like always. The ice is holding up real well, the accesses are starting to get pretty bad. There are not many people fishing during the week now, so look for the people and fish near them, that usually works this time of year.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Drag the boat with and hit the rainy. It sounds like the fishing has been good there.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

I’ll be going out of Westwind tomorrow afternoon. How’s the bite been? Any suggestions on jigs and baits would be great. How are the roads?

Westwind is not allowing vehicles “trucks” onto the lake only 4 wheelers and Snowmobiles.
    Not sure about Hilmans I know Morts landing is in good shape and they are allowing Trucks.

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Thanks for the update. What’s the closest access from Westwind that is allowing truck access? How far out from Westwind would you have to drive on 4-wheeler to get to the fish?

Thanks a ton!

Matt

scottsteil
    Central MN

Sunny Beach Access or any on the South Side are still allowing vehicles on as of last night.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Hilmans Resort “just north of westwind” is the closest and they are letting 4 wheel drive TRUCKS out.

I would target areas from 2 to 6 miles out and follow what Scott has sudjested.

I am leaving in 10 minutes for ULR and I am going to fish Morts or Rodgers on the south end tonight and Fri.

Good Luck….

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

Hey Scott, you headed up there this weekend???? I think IM headed up there with Labs, TOES says he will be there too, might get fun!

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

Nevermind, trip cancelled till next weekend, ah well, itll be great fishing by then.

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Sick kids and hungover in-laws canceled my weekend URL excursion. Maybe next year.

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

Hungover in laws!!! What about you? Anyway I wouldnt cout the chickens quite yet, that is if you have a 4 wheeler or know someone that does, my friend was up this morning and he drove out onto the lake again, thats not saying you will be able to when you get a chance to get there but if you can by all means get up there, my cancelled trip uncancelled itself in a matter of 30 minutes and on the road for the beast trip I have ever had to URL. I posted my report on this forum and a little bonus on the general forum.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.