Bulk flavorings and rubs

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

All this grilling talk got me thinking. Do you guys buy the little jars of seasonings or larger amounts? Buying at the grocery stores or the specialty meat shops around town?

Just curious, it might be another line of product I could look into selling.

mnwalleyeangler

i personaly grill almost every meal when its not winter so i get larger bottles!!!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I just stocked up at Sam’s last week. Their display made it easy!

mnwalleyeangler

we get ours at costco….. basicaly the same as sams!!

troy-starch
    stoddard wi

i grill 12 months out of the year never put the grill away.eaven grill at 0 -10 but takes a little longer.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I have found that if you go to the ‘ethnic’ section at the grocery store and buy the Mexican equivalent of most any spice, you save some major dollars.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

A friend of mine makes his own seasoning. It’s the best stuff I have ever had. He makes a steak seasoning and a rib rub and has a company bottle it for him. He usually has some with him. We go somewhere to eat and gives them a bottle to keep after they use it on our food.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

A friend of mine makes his own seasoning. It’s the best stuff I have ever had. He makes a steak seasoning and a rib rub and has a company bottle it for him. He usually has some with him. We go somewhere to eat and gives them a bottle to keep after they use it on our food.

Can we buy some or how can we get some?

2iceman
    Gem Lake, Minnesota

This sounds crazy but my favorite is Butt Rub. This is the best rub seasoning for everything. http://www.buttrub.com You must try this, and its always fun to bring to a friends house as a gift during the barbeque season.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Go to Penzeys, get bulk spices and mix your own as needed. Their stuff is top quality. To save money, go to cub and buy the bulk packets of Cub-brand spices. Very, very cheap, you don’t pay for packaging, and they’re decent.

There’s some great seasoning recipes on the internet, most of which have less salt, fewer preservatives, and taste better IMO. Making your own also gives you the option of fine-tuning. You can adjust heat, salt-levels, or add fresh herbs that you can grow yourself. Most pre-made ones are already “finished”. You won’t be able to substitute for flavor against fresh thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley, etc.

Store bought is great in a pinch, and the convenience is definitely nice. That said, you can make your own fish mix, taco meat seasoning, rib/shoulder rubs, and general seasonings for cheaper with no MSG or other preservatives.

Joel

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

This sounds crazy but my favorite is Butt Rub.

Everyone likes a good butt rub now and then

bigpike

Penzy’s is pretty much the best, you’ll pay a little more but it is top notch stuff, no fillers and fresh fresh fresh.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.