Eagle Viewing Near Wabasha/Redwing

• lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Is there still an opportunity to view eagles in the area? Something I have been wanting to do for awhile and thought this might be a good weekend to get out of the house for a little road trip.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I would guess there would be. There’s a bunch by Everts and in Red Wing.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

drove from Alma to red wing yesterday and seen ALOT of eagles one spot between alma and nelso there were like 6 or 7 eagle one being a golden eagle on the ice in one spot we seen several eagles fighting or corting or whatever they were doing it was pretty cool. the golden eagle was pretty cool looked bigger than the bald eagles expecialy the yonger balds. they were everywhere along the river though.

Jake_A

There are always eagles in Bay City at the boat launch. I was there last week and they are always in the channel there. Also every species of ducks you can imagine. Oh, and the seagulls

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Eagles are just about eveywhere down here, maybe stop in to the Eagle center in Wabasha, sounds cool even though I have never been there.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Thanks for all the input! Looking forward to taking the family, my kids are 5 and 2. The 2 year old is really noticing birds as of late and is into the geese migrating this year, watching the v’s fly over and around the house.

Can anyone suggest a good mom and pop sitdown style family eatery for lunch?

drew-evans
    rochester MN

twin bluffs, just out side of nelson WI going south towards Alma, or “back waters” just as you come into nelson from wabasha. there both little cafe resturtant style places with resonable prices.

good luck finding the birds they are pretty cool to see, i also have herd that the eagle center is pretty cool place.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I was on 61 between Lake city and Wabasha today. they are everywhere. With the water starting to open up you will have no problems locating them.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

When I go to Alma every spring eye fishing, I always see many eagles on the drive. The Nelson area is also full of birds.

They are an awesome bird for sure.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

Here is a link to an eagle cam and the chicks are about ready to hatch in the next day or so.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/decorah-eagles

We got at least one light gray feathered chick at the Decorah site! There were 3 eggs. The sitting parent won’t let me see any more.
    Congrats Mom and Dad!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Yes, very cool! Once chick this morning. Two more to go.

-J.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Yes, I have been watching the nest for 45 minutes to see a chick but I guess I will have to just wait.

This is awesome listening to the birds chirp, the honkers honking and the baby eagles hatching.

The renewal of life in the wild.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

We had a great time yesterday! Thanks for the info guys. After being couped up all winter winter it was great to get the kids outside, sunshine and lots of fresh air.

The kids loved the Lark Toy store! Carousel rides and ice cream were the highlight of the day for them.

The Eagle Center is an absolutely beautiful building, but it was very crowded inside so we moved on. The majority of the eagles we viewed were near or on the remaining ice on Lake Pepin anyways.

The barge going by the Eagle Center was very interesting to watch, amazing POWER! The amount of ice flowing down the river as a result of the barge going upstream was impressive also.

I was jealous of the fishing boats we saw in Red Wing. Anyone do any good?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.