Duramax : major repair

• jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I have posted before about some issues i have had with my Duramax. I am currently without a vehicle due to some major repairs that need to be done. (Fuel Injectors)

For all of you who have Duramax Diesels here is a web site I would recomend you look at, it is very simular to IDO.

Diesel Place

I was able to recieve alot of good information and advice from other owners and mechanics about my truck.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Just lending a hand with your link: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

Bummer on those bad injectors. As a duramax owner I’m interested in knowing how the repair process goes for you so please keep us posted.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Do you have an extended warranty? I have a warranty on mine to 185k…
    I agree diesel place is a good forum…

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Thanks James
    I haven’t quite figured out how to do that

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

That is an ongoing debate with the dealer right now.

I am hoping they will cover some of the cost.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Quote:

That is an ongoing debate with the dealer right now.

I am hoping they will cover some of the cost.

Hope you can still make your trip? I would encourage you to talk directly with warranty as I have seen positive results for assistance on major repairs. Good luck!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Cal, what/where did you get your warranty from? As a diesel owner, i plan on keeping the truck for a long time, coming up on the 100k here in the next couple of months.

Jami

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

As my 100k warranty was running out some mailer, I called got coverage for an additional 85k for like 1200 bucks or something like that…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Out of curiosity what is the ballpark cost on replacing the injectors?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

The labor to replace one injector is subject to which side needs to be replaced, 5.8hrs for the left side, 4.3 for the right side.

The cost of the injectors $350.00 each, so the majority of the labor is getting to the injectors.

The recomendation is to replace them all when you have the valve cover off.I can’t argue with that,but it sure adds up fast if you replace them all.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Gotta luv electronic injectors and crowded engine compartments!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

My ’01 had the recall on the injectors, so I was very lucky for that. The “estimate” for having all 8 replaced was $3990.00 plus shop costs.

FYI – The mechanic that did mine was required to take a fuel sample for a color that wasn’t supposed to be there. The first two or three times he asked if there was anything in my fuel that he shouldn’t see, I didn’t understand what he was asking about. When he then asked if I used it on a farm, I understood he was looking for the dye. Good thing I never went down that path.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Ouch. What causes the injectors to go bad?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Ouch. What causes the injectors to go bad?

Contract awarded to the lowest bidder – regardless of how cheaply they are made. LOL
    This is from the GM Service bulletin
    a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks, ball seat erosion, or high pressure seal extrusion The mechanic that did mine shown me the thin walls and poor seals compared to the new ones.

Also, regardless of what brand truck you look at, they ALL try to get their truck parts as cheap as they can. I blew the rear housing apart on my Allison tranny. It was over the warranty miles so I tried to talk to Allison about it. They wouldn’t stand behind it because GM spec’d a thinner aluminum wall than the standard Allison spec so they could get them made cheaper. Ford, Dodge, Toyota,… all do the same thing

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

DTWH – what year is your truck and how many miles?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

2001 GMC W/157,000 miles

We are looking into warranty coverage, keeping my fingers crossed

yetiwalleye

Should be able to get remanufactured injectors at a fraction of the cost.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Diesel Place rocks!!!

I’ve been on there a couple years now. Kind of like IDO. If you can’t find an answer, somebody will make one up.

wallster
    Austin, MN

Quote:

Should be able to get remanufactured injectors at a fraction of the cost.

I think I would go with new ones. Its not the price of the injectors, its the time and labor to get to the injectors. New ones might also come with a warranty.
    Wallster ><((((>

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I’ve been on there a couple years now. Kind of like IDO. If you can’t find an answer, somebody will make one up.

I laughed out loud on this one….

big G

floydthegreat

I also had my injectors fail,service manager said the tip was blown clear off(water)one of them.Chevy replaced all 8,and extended the warranty to 200,000 miles.2001 Duramax happened at 90,000 in 2004,there were so many that summer I had to wait over 5 weeks for the injectors,man was I pissed back then.I have’nt had any trouble with this truck again.I buy my fuel where they sell a lot of fuel,change filter spring and fall,and do all my own service and maintanence work.Personaly I like all the pick-ups ,but wished they still made Suburbans with a diesel.
    good luck with your truck,
    Stan

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

HERE ARE THE RESULTS!!!!

All Eight fuel injectors have been replaced,I will be picking the truck up tonight and heading to Lake Vermillion some time tomorrow.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and expecting that I will not have any more power loss while towing.
    I am also looking forward to having that missing power back that all Duramax owners know is there when it is needed.

Last week I don’t think I could have pulled a “RADIO FLYER loaded with BEANNIE BABYS”

The Best part of this is that all the work,”Parts and Labor” $3500.00, will be covered under a warranty issue.

Unfortunately sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, of arm twisting is required.

Bottom Line is the Dealership that I bought the truck from was able to have the work done and paid for by GMC.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

That’s great!! I never had a bit of trouble with mine since they were done. Just remember to keep an eye on your oil level very closely for a while. If they leak, you will have fuel in your oil. I only know of a couple of people that this has happened to. Just something to watch for.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

After the first few runs around town the engine is quieter,
    smoother shifting patters, and immediate response time when hitting the accelerator.
    It seems like a new engine again.
    So the real test will be done today towing the skeeter up to the lake.
    I,ll be back in a week or so.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.