bawling ( Need help and advice – maybe prayer

• flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Dear IDO faithful :

I had by far my worst Father’s Day weekend ever. The good news is I did still have one. Let me try to explain>

My two sons and I were headed to Bemidji country to camp and fish. Truck loaded and boat in tow….can’t explain it here but none of us saw any brake lights and so my hard braking wasn’t gonna be enough so I took to the shoulder of the road. (371 N of Pequot Lakes) Low and behold there’s sits a car on the should ahead (no flashing lights or anything) so with the ditch not being a good option at that split-hair of a second, I tried to bring my rig back into the N bound lane. The vehicle without the brake lights and I hit and we went into a roll. My truck is totaled

Among other things, what I don’t know is if my boat is totaled or how to tell, as I have not seen it yet. I will on Wednesday. It ‘is’was’ a Javelin 320a 19ft with a 175 Johnson and Javelin bunk trailer. All a 1993 vintage outfit. What is a rig like that worth??? Apparently the adjuster said he is having a hard time finding anything to ‘compare’ it to for market value. Any help out there on this great IDO network would be greatly appreciated on what this boat rig might be worth, and any dealer or private sales that I may use to make a claim.

The rig has long since been paid for. I owed 1170 on my truck. An 03 F150 4×4 super crew xlt lariat with some custom trim options….just turned 85K miles.

Now the good news! I am so grateful to God, seat belts, and ‘built Ford tough’ I have few words to even try to describe my feelings. I and my boy in the front got some head bangs and a few superficial bloody cuts. But both my boys received some nasty ‘glass rash cuts’ and their right forearms. We were treated at St. Joe’s in Brainerd, and they were great, as was Benjamin of the ambulance crew. I had a head CT and a left leg x-ray. Nothing else needed.

We have said a lot of prayers on this network for a lot of really good folks. We are healing well physically, but our mental health is going to take some time. has been tough.

Some pix are from in the ambulance looking out. Others of the truck are at the tow yard. Sorry, but it looks like a couple pix might end up side ways…

I’ll end with: If you don’t know God or seat belts, please put them into your life! With out a doubt that’s why I and my sons still have…life.

Good to hear everyone is OK!

Material things can be replaced, lives cannot.

If you need help on finding a value for that type of boat, I would be happy to contact an independent adjuster that I work with to offer you an outside opinion.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Good to hear you’re ok, trucks and boats can be replaced.

markmoran
    Rochester MN

Glad everyone is okay!! Too bad about the truck and boat, but now you can make new memories, and remember the old!

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

you all are very lucky and glad every made it out ok… the upside you will have another fathers day with your children

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’m very happy to hear that all of you made it through in good shape. Tough to look at the pictures of your truck!

Rootski

envoy98
    Minneapolis, MN

Wow! You are all very lucky. Count your blessings and be thankful you all survived. Hopefully you’ll be made whole on the truck and boat and will be out fishing soon. Glad you are all okay.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Glad everyone is ok!

That would be one heck of a ride that I hope never to experience with loved ones. Also an example why the DOT keeps trucks in tip top shape with all the lights working it is too bad the vehicle in front of you did not have working lights.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

very glad to hear you are alive and okay.. and along with every one else.. Trucks and boats are made new every day.. you and your Boys cannot be replaced.. actually it was one of your best Fathers days ever.. you are alive.. and kicking..

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

you and your Boys cannot be replaced.. actually it was one of your best Fathers days ever.. you are alive.. and kicking..

You are absolutely right. Thank you. I wish some day you all could meet my boys….they are such awesome guys…they are two of the best things that ever happened in my life…

And Justin, thanks…email sent to you.
    Everyone, thanks so much. I have much to work through, and I’ll get there,,,,in time

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Sounds like your prayers were answered with the fact that there were no serious injuries!

For what it’s worth, I believe your Javelin is pretty much identical to the Stratos 219. They’re relatively desireable boats, but you ought to find a few at marinas or in classifieds. I’d guess that most will be in the $7,000-$10,000 range depending on condition and equipment.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Glad you all made it through without major damage. As others have said, boats and trucks can be replaced. Glad you were wearing seat belts.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Just thank the lord you and everyone else is safe and unharmed.
    The rest of it will all fall in place in due time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

actually it was one of your best Fathers days ever

Not that I would wish that on anyone, but you did have a happy ending.

Congrats on the outcome!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Great nobody got seriously hurt, sucks on the truck and boat, much less the ruined fishing trip.
    hope it all comes out ok though.

fwiw Just curious, you weren’t following a bit to close were ya?
    We get the Smith System of defensive driving here at work and they recommend at least 4 seconds between vehicles, that’s saved me more than once.

Al

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That is scary looking. So glad to hear you guys are all rite. Im sure the issues with replacing the boat and truck will work them selves out with some time.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m glad to hear that everyone came out safe. I will also take it as a reminder that our time with your children is precious and to never take that for granted.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Glad you’re OK, but I have to wonder if you were tailgating, or distracted? Not to flame, but I’m sure you’ve played this over and over in your mind, and I am sorry if I offended.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I put a lot of miles on my truck and boat each year and never think of something like this happening. Thanks for this post we all need a reminder of what can happen in a second. I’m glad you’re all OK and I hope you get over the emotional part of this accident soon. Best of luck on replacing your material items so you can get those boys back on the water.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Low and behold there’s sits a car on the should ahead (no flashing lights or anything) so with the ditch not being a good option at that split-hair of a second, I tried to bring my rig back into the N bound lane. The vehicle without the brake lights and I hit and we went into a roll.

Sorry, but enough with the flaming, read the entire story. It sounds as if the whole chain of events started with a car sitting on the shoulder. This can happen to anyone at anytime.
    I am just glad to hear that everyone involved escaped with minor bumps and bruises.
    I also want to commend you on wearing your seatbelts. By looking at the pictures, ejection from the vehicle could have very well happened without the belts.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

To all, no offense taken by your questionings> they’re fair questions…
    I’m a farm boy of the past. One comment of 4 second follow. When your hauling 28K pounds of Sugar Beets on a tandem axle truck with a 24 foot box, you learn weight/stopping distances early in life. I was at least double that with my rig, and already braking from 50mph. Wasn’t going very fast at all (? 30-35) by the time the roll happened.

Seatbelts!!! Faith!!! And the integrity of that supercrew cab on that truck. Life saving…
    Agree, not being in seatbelts, very easy to be ejected from the cab and mamed, or killed.

Today is better. And hearing you all share and knowing how much you all, and folks here at work care, means more than words will ever say….but I say thanks….so does my family…IDO Rocks

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Glad to hear everyone is ok. Too often these types of accidents include a fatality. So glad to hear this wasn’t the case!!

dea
    Hixton, WI

After seeing those photos I am so glad your family is okay.
    I hope everyone heals quickly.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Quote:

After seeing those photos I am so glad your family is okay.
    I hope everyone heals quickly.

Too bad they haven’t invented self-replicating fiberglass yet, though, eh? Wouldn’t it be nice if your boat’s skin would grow back just like your own does?

Hey, there’s an idea… let’s invent it!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Too bad they haven’t invented self-replicating fiberglass yet, though, eh? Wouldn’t it be nice if your boat’s skin would grow back just like your own does?

Wow, would that ever be nice. Sounds rather sci-fi’

Well, today I had to go up and clean my ‘personal things from the wreckage. that was no joy at all to see that all again. (talk about flashbacks)

But, a process and a term called ‘closure’ to put it all to rest now maybe I can too.

Thanks everyone.
    Now get out there and fish

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Tim,
    Am sorry to hear of your accident, but am glad you and your sons were not seriously injured, sure could have been a lot worse. God, faith, and seatbelts are ALL very important, and in that order.
    God Bless.
    Jack and Katie

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

sorry to hear your fathersday memory for this year wasn’t one that you where planning. glad to hear that everyone is o.k. and healing nicely. But you got me thinking a little bit with the God and faith. I am a Godly man and have alot of faith, for those that know me, know I have gone through hell and back the last 11 years of my life since being married.

What I am getting at is this, God still has a purpose for you and your boys here on this earth. we may not know what his plan for us is, but through our faith, he will guide us. I will pray for the rest of your recovering health and also that God will show you the path or your purpose that still needs to be done.

May God bless you and your family!

shane

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Jack and Shane,

Thank you so much guys.
    Shane, your are so right. The mission continues.
    Jack, I hope your doing well too and say hello to Katie for me.

God bless all

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.