License Question

• nick
    Lakeville, MN

Talking about renewing our fishing license today we got into a discussion, one guy claims you can’t stand on (for instance) wi shore, and fish border water (st.croix/miss.) with a MN license only.

Second issue, mn resident, fishing same mn/wi border with a wi license (only no mn) legal or not?

Can you please cite the sources too? I 99% sure I know the correct answers.

thebigfishman
    Apple Valley, MN

Hello,
    If you are fishing a mn/wi border water it is legal if you have either a mn license or a wi license and doesn’t matter what side of the river you are fishing. I know this for a fact, my mom works for the mn dnr license center in st paul.
    Take care!
    Kevin

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Second issue…..No..He must have a MN license

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I’m looking for this in writing, so I can back it up.

rmartin
    United States

Page 56 of MN regulations for question 1 and page 48 of MN regulations for question 2.

slayer
    Rochester, MN

Fishing Regulations

See page 48 of the PDF file.

Licensing

Canada-Minnesota Border Waters: Anglers who have a Minnesota resident or nonresident license may fish only the Minnesota portion of Canada’s border waters.

Other Borders: Minnesota has a reciprocal agreement with each of its bordering states: Wisconsin, Iowa, South Dakota, and North Dakota. Residents of Minnesota or a bordering state may fish throughout the waters bordering the two states only if they possess a valid resident license from their resident state.

Nonresident anglers who have a nonresident license from either Minnesota or the bordering state may also fish throughout the border waters between the two states. Anglers may launch and fish from either shore and may transport their catch by the most direct route to the state in which they are licensed. This includes children who are not required to have a license. Lake Superior is not covered under this agreement and is not considered a border water.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.