Country music star illegal bear

• elesar

Hey gang,

This story has been going around for a few days, I didn’t see it already posted. Troy Gentry from Montgomery Gentry is accused of killing a tame bear on a hunting preserve in Northern Minnesota and tagging it and making a video as if he killed it in the wild.
    You can read the story here.

The story gets even better though. Apparently, the guy who runs this “preserve” and sold this bear to Gentry was sent a bunch of whitetails from an anti-hunting group seeking to save the critters. You can read about that here.
    Warning though, this is an anti-hunting website.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Remember, there are two sides to every story.

I heard from informed sources that he hired a local guide who guaranteed him that he would get a bear. He hunted that bear from a tree stand with a bow.

Now, either he is really stupid! (Which is possible.) or that “Guide” really took advantage of the guy!

The question remains how much did he know, and when did he know it?

big_g
    Isle, MN

That is hilarious, the deer that don’t cause accidents !!! Whats even funnier, the Gentry guy was gonna pay to transport bambi and friends, to this guys place, where he takes pictures of animals !!!

big g

elesar

Chris-

I hear ya’ on the not rushing to judgement front. However, the interesting detail in this story is the part about the altering the video to make it appear as if it were in the wild. A grand jury has indicted Gentry and the preserve owener, and while that does not make someone guilty–it does show there is enought evidence to proceed with a case.

This case may be settled out of court, and the full truth may never be known, and that would be a loss. You can bet your bottom dollar if the anti-hunting groups get ahold of this one it will become a battle cry for them, and give hunting very bad press indeed.

The other sad part may be that this guy has enough money to go on any hunt he would choose. If he did in fact do this, the lack of ethical standards is mind boggling to me, both on his part and the preserve owner.

But your advice is good, we will wait and see.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Darn funny article about the Anti’s! First I heard that one!

adloos
    Winona, MN

Thanks for the article.

Itec

I’m hearing a little different than what was reported, but like it has been said earlier, there is always a couple sides to the story.

Doesn’t sound like Cubby was ever tagged, Gentry bought the bear, and since it was big, he wanted to weight it. The big game station was weighing bears at the time so….

Gentry did shoot a bear in the wild with his bow, and tagged that bear – but not this one.

The film was edited to shorten it – nothing was done to the film to try to make it something it was not. The film was for Gentry’s own personal use, no commercial use ever intended or realized.

The only thing illegal seems to be the tagging – which (most likely) never happened…

But like has been said – the story is different on different sides.

hawgstatus
    Moundsview, MN

I just got done reading the rest of the replies to this article on yahoo. I refuse to post there so I will keep it here.

In my opinion I see very little (which means some) difference in what Gentry did and what thousands of “hunters” do every year when they hire a guided “hunt” on a ranch in TX for whitetails…bigger pen? yes, but the same concept…fenced in game. I really dont care about Gentry, his ethics, his money or his bear rug. He wanted it and paid for it then got it….rich people do it everyday.

What burns me is all the bad publicity towards hunters, real hunters, not rich people pretending to be. Read some of the replies on that article and add up the pro-hunt comments and the anti-hunt……very scary. I could barely finish.

I guess I dont really care what he did, any real hunter would be ashamed of himself, enjoy your rug Gentry cuz the MNDNR is comin down to confiscate it. Maybe it will be at the state fair in “poachers corner”

hs

shayla

I got news for you….Troy Gentry isn’t a “star” and he doesn’t sing “country music”! Hank, Conway, George Jones, Cash, and Haggard are “stars”. Gentry, well…he’s just a flash in the pan. Hope he gets the maximum amount of probation, as that is all any so-called celebrity gets these days. Not to bust your balls, but that ain’t country.

elesar

LOL, I hear ya’ Slip. I was just using the titles from the newspaper headlines that’s all. I agree with you wholeheartedly. But no Willie, what’s that about?

VikeFan

I agree on Gentry–wait until more facts are un-covered before hammering the guy…

I haven’t even heard of this anti-hunting group before–they just keep coming out of the woodwork. They all show the same absence of logic, ignorance about the way the world actually works, and the total reliance on emotion, though.

I am not a big fan of private pay-to-hunt ranches and game farms, but where they are legal they should not be confused with what Gentry is accused of doing. If a private property owner wants to fence in his land, gets the necessary permits, and pays to maintain a private game herd he has the right to do so, even though I don’t think shooting a game animal inside a fenced enclosure sounds like much fun.

In some game ranches down south, the deer are conditioned to come to the sound of an automatic feeder going off at the same times every day, and of course that is where the stands are located. I would just as soon spend my money on a side of beef as hunt that way. It would be simpler, every bit as much fun, and about as challenging. But, if people want to pay to hunt half-tame deer in compliance with the law, it’s their money, not mine.

deeplake
    Iron, mn

i cant stand reading the ignorant statements of these anti-hunting websites . Ted said it best, “Animals have rights to garlic and butter”

Itec

Quote:

I am not a big fan of private pay-to-hunt ranches and game farms, but where they are legal they should not be confused with what Gentry is accused of doing. If a private property owner wants to fence in his land, gets the necessary permits, and pays to maintain a private game herd he has the right to do so, even though I don’t think shooting a game animal inside a fenced enclosure sounds like much fun.

Vike Fan – It’s not really a penned hunt operation. What was happening here is the state and federal wildlife authorities required a different fence for this bear – more than $30 G – so they decided to get rid of the bear instead. Gentry bought the bear, and since it was his bear, he thought instead of just executing it, he’d shoot with archery equipment. It was his bear, not a wild animal, he could do what he wanted with it.

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

Quote:

Gentry bought the bear, and since it was his bear, he thought instead of just executing it, he’d shoot with archery equipment. It was his bear, not a wild animal, he could do what he wanted with it.

I didnt read the yahoo deal just these posts.
    If he bought the bear and it wasnt a wild bear thats kind like saying its ok to shot your dog with a bow when your sick of him… THATS NOT RIGHT! And now it wasnt hunting for meat the guy just wanted a rug…GRRRRRR

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Quote:

but that ain’t country.

a little quote from David Allan Coe….

Come on Slip…play nice! We all know how you feel about Country Singers.

shayla

Maybe I’m touchy on the subject because there’s so damn few of them left!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.