tough question, I know…..

• deeplake
    Iron, mn

last year i discovered a small trout lake (little elbow in St. Louis County) theres 2 its the top one if you use the lake finder on the mndnr site. dnr.state.mn.us .. anyway i was really turned onto trout fishing on a trip guided by Hawghunters Guide Service. Dan Larson brought me out to Caribou Lake north of Grand Rapids the winter before last and we fished in 70 ft of water, with tube jigs and wax worms and did pretty well.. little elbow intrigues me, as some of the locals have told me, they bite on crawlers, (when, where, what hook, bobber/no bobber, flats or deep, bottom or mid water column? anyone have any advice on trout fishing??

thegun
    mn

well if im going to fish trout with worms ill use a small, long shank hook, and pitch it to the bottom. Start in shallow water this time of year or untill temps get above 55 deg. and work deeper from there letting the fish tell you where to stop!! no bobber! if your where the fish are it shouldnt take long to get bit!! hope this helps!!

birddog
    Mn.

While I can’t help you on this whole trout thing …My parents used to take us up to Caribou on weekends. There used to be 4 beautiful campsites on the lake till some idiot (while my bro and I were there) decides to cut down a live birch (for fire wood) on the waters edge. Almost dropping it on his children who were swimming at the time, one of the outer branches actually missed his son by inches. The cabin owners on the lake found out about it and filled a petition out to close the campsites for good after that. A case were one ruins it for many!! Thanks idiot tree cutter downer!! Still swing by once a year to spend the day and chase the smallies and enjoy the crisp clear water. If there were still campsites there I would make a point of staying. Beautiful lake!

BIRDDOG

deeplake
    Iron, mn

being only a 5 acre lake, i should be able to find them! thanks for the info.. i wasnt sure if they fed on the bottom or the top!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.