Woodbury Cabelas

• phoyem
    Minneapolis

Went to the Woodbury Cabelas last night for the rewards card VIP night. Overall nice clean store with friendly employees. Selection is definitely better than Gander.

I was surprised how small it was though. In terms of size and selection MUCH smaller than the one in Rodgers and Owatonna. There were a few rapala’s I was looking for that they did NOT have, and I was disappointed by so few animal mounts to look at and one very small fish tank.

In the end, a big improvement over Gander but still a bit disappointing.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Where in Woodbury is this at?

b-mac
    Hudson, WI

Was there logic to opening after both MN and WI fishing openers?

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

It’s better to be “ready” and do it “right” then open early and leave a bad taste in peoples mouth about the store.

b-mac
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Quote:

It’s better to be “ready” and do it “right” then open early and leave a bad taste in peoples mouth about the store.

I think they would have a pretty good grasp on a grand opening by now.

Just curious if they got behind schedule or if 5/15 was the target date all along?

Regardless, I hope they maintain decent gear and don’t turn into a woman’s clothing store like Gander

mike-west
    Amery, WI

My understanding is this was suposed to be more of an outlet type facility and not the full blown Cabelas we are so familur with.
    It will be nice to be able to do the free to-store-shipping and be located on the East side.
    Should also hopefully be nice for trying things on before doing on line ordering if not in stock. Love Rodgers and Owatona facilities but not very convenient, at least not for me.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I also went in yesterday and had the same comments. They did say this store would be a smaller version of their stores so I expected to lose some pieces of their superstores.

But, the area around the checkout aisle for the Grand Opening is going to be a zoo. There is definitely space missing there and will create congestion when the store is busy.

Also missing is the large area of home furnishings and cabin knick-knacks, which I always enjoy. There’s a small-small space for this in this store. One level store, abbreviated sections all around. I did find their fishing and gun sections to be decent however. Seems like their focus will be on their core customers which is good.

Told my wife the best thing about it will be the in-store pickup option for ordering online, no delivery charge. But I agree, it is WAY better than the Woodbury Gander and far superior to what Dick’s attempts to do in fishing/hunting.

ET

Old fisher
    NULL

Right off of Radio drive and interstate 94.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What about parking? The lot looks small from the road.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

It does look small, hard to assess as the stores not open to the public yet. I drove right in and got a spot near the front, lot about 2/3 full.

Old fisher
    NULL

My wife and I are going down tommorow afternoon.having a will made out and after that we are going to the new store.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Anyone walk through a fly fishing section? Wonder how there set up with fly tying materials.

Rootski

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

My wife, daughter and I went to the store last night.
    Very nice store.
    I also found they did not have a Rapala model that I wanted to check out …Jigging Raps.
    I did find everything else on my shopping list though.
    There no doubt will be congestion at the registers during the Grand Opening.
    Definitely is smaller, and feels smaller than Rogers & Owatonna.
    The free delivery to the store will be a nice option for me.

fishdale

Quote:

I was disappointed by so few animal mounts to look at and one very small fish tank.

The fish tank section is weird a lot of fake rock but just the one very small tank. Almost looks like they could expand it in the future.

Rooski – Fly fishing section seemed small but I did not check it out in detail.

Free pickup will be nice.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I, too, went last night and will echo most guys comments here. Much smaller than the others, but this was to be expected. Clean store that seemed well laid out with a decent selection of fishing tackle.

That said, I walked out empty handed and headed up to Fleet Farm. Everything on my list of stuff I wanted to buy was cheaper at FF. Not to mention, FF actually had a much better selection of the specific Northland jig I was looking for (40cents per pack cheaper to boot). Went to grab a pack of slugs (slowly stock up on the sabbots as the year goes on, $15.99 at Cabelas, $10.99 at FF…)

Don’t get me wrong, as a Cabelas Club member I’m excited to have a store close by for online returns, ship to store, and the bargin cave – However I cannot think of any reason why I’d goto Cabelas over FF for 95% of my tackle needs.

Good luck to anyone going tomorrow – I’m sure it will be a zoo!

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Cabelas obviously has a much nicer looking store and better with stocking than fleet farm.

But I’m guessing item for item just about 100% of the same products are cheaper at fleet farm than cabelas. Some by a lot.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

I went yesterday afternoon. I was not real impressed with the gear to tie up worm harnesses. Overkill of spinner blades, but almost nothing for foam floating propeller type spinners for worm harnesses. Alot of the people working there didn’t seem to know much about what is stocked and waited 20 minutes to talk to someone that knew anything about depthfinders. Hopefully they will get more people that actually know and understand the products they are selling. When they have the grand opening they better bring people from other stores that know the products or there will be a lot of irate customers.

red89
    Hudson

Quote:

I was surprised how small it was though. In terms of size and selection MUCH smaller than the one in Rodgers and Owatonna. There were a few rapala’s I was looking for that they did NOT have, and I was disappointed by so few animal mounts to look at and one very small fish tank.

I hate those fish tanks. Sure its cool to see the fish, but they all look so sick and sad. Last time I was at the MN Zoo the fish looked like their fins were rotting off. I would prefer a better selection of products over the animal mount and fish exhibits.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Just got back.

Yes, the parking lot and store are smaller than other MN stores, but still very nice from what I saw. Way better than Gander.

Some things I will go to Cabelas for, others FF. The in store pick up will be very nice, no question about that.

They actually had a rod I was looking to pick up that is technically not carried by them any longer, so that was a nice bonus to use up a gift card and club points…

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

At 394 and Hopkins Crossroad,

Quote:

Right off of Radio drive and i-94.

Open weekdays til 8, saturday and sunday til 5, online at ….

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I see in the ad the James is going to be there sat and sun. Was not going to go but will stop by and say Hi! Cabelas promo dollars are paying off as I doubt I will get out without something in my hands.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

As I suspected parking is catastrophe. Home Depot across the street is not going to be happy. Their lot is full right now with crowds of people everywhere. I guarantee it will be like that often. Cabelas stores simply draw in crowds on a normal basis. I’m waiting until things cool down a little.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I see in the ad the James is going to be there sat and sun. Was not going to go but will stop by and say Hi! Cabelas promo dollars are paying off as I doubt I will get out without something in my hands.

Both Joel and I will be there Saturday and Sunday. Stop on in and chat us up.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

Looking forward to it, might be a good time to stock up on Shad Raps – last I heard they were running 20% off all of the Shad Rap families. We’ll help pick out the colors!

Joel

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I just want to know if Ben B will be there.

He’s a miracle worker!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I just want to know if Ben B will be there.

He’s a miracle worker!

To my knowledge Cabelas will not be graced by his presence this weekend.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Alright, I’ll just have to get his autograph some other way.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Well, you’re in an overlapping time slot with hunting, fishing, and general outdoors Guru/Personality Laura Schara…

Soooooo, maybe I’ll stop by if there’s time. There’s a pecking order to these celebo meet/greet things. I have to prioritize.

Grouse

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Well, you’re in an overlapping time slot with hunting, fishing, and general outdoors Guru/Personality Laura Schara…

Soooooo, maybe I’ll stop by if there’s time. There’s a pecking order to these celebo meet/greet things. I have to prioritize.

Grouse

To make things easier on you Joel and I could plan to spend all our time hanging out with Laura… in an effort to make things a “one stop shop,” so to speak.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You mean she is not going to be watching my nephew and I launch the boat at Parkers Lake this weekend? There is a first for everything I guess.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.