5 hp Sea King Outboard

• captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

My mom want sell this motor. I’ve not a clue what its worth as an anitque. it hasn’t been run in 20 years. It didn’t run well when it was new for that matter. Thanks for your input.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I see them on CL for 75-100 bucks all the time. No idea if anyone actually buys them. They usually say ‘ran last time stored’ or some such as well.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Do your research first. I’m assuming this is a Sea King brand that was sold by Montgomery Wards, but there were other Sea Kings out there. Evinrude made a line of outboards they called the Seaking lineup in the 1950s, so figuring out exactly what you have is key.

Then find out exactly what year it is. I believe the first Sea Kings were from the 1950s, but the brand was made all the way up into the late 70s or early 80s. From my recollection, these motors were made by a variety of companies, the best known one being Chrysler, but that was not the only maker that made them for Montgomery Wards.

What it’s worth will vary from nothing to hundreds depending on age and condition.

Some of the later models can be “worth” a surprising sum IF you’re willing to part them out. The cover alone could be worth $100, the block/powerhead could also be worth $100. It just depends on how much work you’re willing to do to sell it.

Grouse

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Hate to say if it is one from Montgomery Wards its not worth a darn. If you do sell it make sure its someone you dont know and give them the wrong phone number. Take what ever is offered. Very poor motors.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As odd as it seems, there’s a bunch of people out there who are always trying to keep old Sea Kings alive. I know, I know. Lots of things don’t make sense, but people do them anyway.

Grouse

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I had a 57 Seahorse King Johnson….I still wish I had not sold it…

Had a Monkey Ward SeaKing was manufactured by Chrysler I believe..

What color is it?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think my Chrysler one was white top and green body. Spent more time working on it than ever using it. Air cooled, vibrated the minnows right out of the bucket. Think I gave it to my brother in law.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

Grouse is right. sea king was sold at Montgomery wards. my dad has a 1937 3 horse sea king in his barbershop for decoration.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Thanks for the advice everyone. Model is 45GG 9015A Serial # is 547337. I assume that means its a 1945 model. Its light blue,…some dents and scratches. As a motor,…its a POS as mentioned. I can’t tell you how many times I rowed for my dad while he pulled and cussed. Ruined many trips. It did quit on top of a big bluegill spot on Osakis one time. Pounders came right and left. Only good memory I have of that motor.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.