Tiller outboard power steering options??

• haleysgold
    SE MN

I’m looking to install power steering or power assist on my tiller motor.
    Anybody have any suggestions/knowledge/prices or opinions on what my options are??
    It’s a Yamaha motor.

Thanks in advance !!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Your options are owned by Mercury. You and the rest of us are out of luck.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Seriously??

I can’t buy one thru a dealer…installed by them??

Jim Kissinger
    Markesan WI

there is or was a company that was making them i dont know if they are still in business

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Seriously??

I can’t buy one thru a dealer…installed by them??

Don’t think so, unless you want to put a Merc on there.

I believe before there was Mertans ‘power’ steering and the Titan steer (which wasn’t true power steering). If you can find one used that might work, otherwise you might have to deal with the motor torque.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

I’m looking to install power steering or power assist on my tiller motor.
    Anybody have any suggestions/knowledge/prices or opinions on what my options are??
    It’s a Yamaha motor.

Thanks in advance !!

Mertens was and is the only option that I know of. If you can find a titan or mertens system still around then your good to go. They are now owned by mercury so they are not producing any more for the yamahas.

I have heard of one place that still has the titans in stock but they wont sell just the system unless you buy a new boat and motor from them.

With that said, I have 1 mertans power steering system left that will fit on a F115 or F150. Those are the only 2 motors this one will fit on. So if its one of those 2 you are in luck. Otherwise can try searching and calling around to see if you can find one.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I searched the internet for a long time for Titan Steering for a Yamaha 75 and was lucky to find a new one still in the box. Corner Sports in Bemidji has 10 titan steerings left to purchase IF you buy a new boat from them. Also found a Mertens in Iowa that will fit a 75 Yamaha. PM me if you want details on the Mertens

haleysgold
    SE MN

PM sent Calvin. I have an 80 HP Yamaha

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Oh you big wuss ! I told you that you should have bought a Merc. !

haleysgold
    SE MN

Ain’t you supposed to be working??

I am a wuss…and gettin too old to hang on to that thing…it’s great except for when you have to cut across the grain…then it can be tough to hang on.

No merc’s for this guy. I’ll leave them for you…course yours is like a 1950 model ya cheap arse.

haleysgold
    SE MN

After PM’ing with Calvin…sounds like I might be better off with the Titan model but they’re only made for Merc’s too.
    If anyone knows of a Titan available, I’d appreciate a shout my way. I’ll have to do some looking around and see if I can find one.
    Thanks everybody for the information !!

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Hmmmm, looks like those guys from Honda are considering a “remote” tiller steering system, like Mertens tried a few years ago, so they can achive a “remote” steering HP rating on a hull.

HRG

Honda tiller steering patent

jerry b
    western WI

Looks good on paper. I’d almost venture to say that if the folks across the big water designed it, it’s gonna work and work well. jerr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.