Custom Rod – Cork or Wood Handle

• shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

I’ve built custom rods for about 5 years and am starting a new one this week. I would like to make the most sensitive rod possible, starting with a St Croix SC-V blank (because I can get it near cost).

As far as handles, I have always opted for the traditional cork handle. A recent conversation with a long-time rod builder has made me consider trying a wood handle. He told me that wood handlers were much more sensitive than cork.

I’ve avoided wood in the past simply due to the weight, although I’ve never actually held one for more than 10 seconds, let alone fished with one.

Do any of you have opinions of cork versus wood as it relates sensitivity and fishability?

Lars

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

wood is 8-10 times more sensitive than cork
    it is denser so it transmits vibrations better
    I have been building wood handled rods (its all I use) for 28+yrs now.
    If you have any questions shoot me a PM
    I turn my own so if you need something let me know

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I had a beautiful wood handled Croix I used for years until snapping it in half. The handle is a beautiful walnut with an inlay. I loved it. I need to get that handle back on a rod. Thanks for the reminder.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I was at a sport show and bought a rod with a wood handle. Hands down my favorite rod.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

This is the wooden handle I have on a 4 weight fly rod I built on a Matrix blank a couple of years ago. The middle part is African Zebra wood. It doesn’t feel heavy in my hand, as I think the reel still is the heaviest component on that end of the rod.

Rootski

rodman1
    Monee, IL

Stop and think a minute. Unless you are using a Tennessee type handle or fish holding your fore finger on the front grip the material the handle is made of has minimal influence on sensitivity. In most cases sensitivity is transmitted thru the reel seat to your hand and how the reel seat is mounted to the rod is most important. As in the transmission of electricity the use of similar materials to conduct sensitivity is most important. By building paste epoxy arbors between the reel seat and rod blank this can be readily achieved. Narrow masking tape arbors are used to
    center the reel seat on the blank and the voids are filled with paste epoxy. The additional weight is negligible and much less than a total wood handle. If you like the look or feel of wood, wood reel seats can be used and mounted similarly. Burl cork is also a good transmitter of sensitivity but also tends to add weight.
    Tom Cooney

sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

We will see you tonight at class Lars! I need a new rod like I need a hole in the head…..

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Which SC V blank you using ? a MLXF ?

IF it were I,I would go with a nice and light cork split grip like the SGK-6 Split Grip Spinning Handle from Mudhole

I have built 6 rods using those blanks all MLXF for walleye and ALL have this split grip on them.

I balanced my rods out to the Arbor 30 series reel and they are SWEET !!

What guides are you using ? I used Recoil on 4 and Fugi Alconite on the 2 others.

JMHO Jeff

shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Quote:

We will see you tonight at class Lars! I need a new rod like I need a hole in the head…..

I hear you there. Hence the reason I’m thinking of trying something new!

I’d like to make a set with the sk2 split reel seats with detailed wood caps and butt sections. I’ve got a set of rods made @ Thorne using the sk2 seat with cork caps and butt that are nice and sensitive.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Wood is heavy. I went from 5″ cork handles to 4″ cork handles on all my panfish rods and you can feel a weight difference. The lighter the better IMO.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.