Rechargeable drill batteries

• STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

My 19.2 volt drill batteries will no longer take a charge. I looked and found everything online, buy new, dont buy new, fix yourself, don’t fix youself, take to batts plus, dont…you get the idea. I even saw a guy use the old arc welder to get one working again . Anyone ever had any luck with this? Should I just buy an whole new set and throw the old? Any input helps. Thanks

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Should I just buy an whole new set and throw the old?

I offered the tools to someone who had kits with the same batteries and bought new for myself. New batteries just aren’t worth is cost-wise, unless you have really good tools. If they’re just run-of-the-mill Craftman, you’ll pay just as much for batteries as you will for an entire new tool kit.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

What Brand tool do you have and why cant you have Batteries Plus rebuild them?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. Finally got sick of buying new batteries. I bought a RIGID. They have a lifetime warranty. I have a local store that does an over the counter exchange when batteries go bad. And the drill has performed very well to this point.

FDR

Palerider77

Throw the craftsman drill in the garbage and get a Snap-on 18v cordless. Far superior to all that walks or crawls on this planet.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Quote:

They are die hard. Im sure they can be rebuild, but Im wondering if its worth it. Has anyone done this? Is this expensive? Do they last when they are re build? Probably should have included this info in my post.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

My dad did this for one of his drill’s or screw gun I don’t remember, he said it was like 50 bucks. The link below shows what brand they service.

Batteries Plus Tech Center

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

They are die hard. Im sure they can be rebuild, but Im wondering if its worth it. Has anyone done this? Is this expensive? Do they last when they are re build? Probably should have included this info in my post.

Most battery packs are rebuildable if they are held together with screws, the cost I am not sure about .

You can also check out Interstate Battery,they also have replacement batteries for most power tools.

dswietek

A company we use is batteriesandthings.com or go to batterypackrepair.com to get your pack rebuilt. There is a form in the lower left corner that tells you what you need to know. The 19.2v would cost 52.80 plus shipping. Usually a one week turn around. This company rebuilds approx. 200-300 packs a month.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My point is that if you have 2 packs rebuilt, you’re spending $100 easily. If we’re talking about Craftsman drills, you can generally buy a kit with two batteries and a drill for somewhere near $100, and then you’ve got a new drill, too.

If you’re talking about a more expensive drill, it might be worth it, but for typical homeowner-grade tools, I don’t see the point in it.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Time to upgrade the Drill and battery combo!

Compact Lithium-Ion is the way to go.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I’ve got a Milwaukee Li-Ion now…love it

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I think it all depends on how good of a drill you have, if it is the entire B&E kit or just the drill, how old it is, and how much you like it. If it is a craftsman, I would get rid of it, but a nice Dewalt, Milwakee, or similar set may get new batteries.

I bought the Rigid kit about 5 years ago with 3 batteries. So far Rigid has replace the all the batteries 3 times, replaced the charger once, fixed my drill twice, and reworked the recip saw once, all under warrenty. Being the kit cost me about $400 when I got it, they have given me more than that cost in batteries. He even told me the next time I bring my drill in it will not be worth fixing and he will give me a new one off the shelf.

For my money, I will go back to a Ridgid

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

I have a ryobi with a battery problem. But my problem is the charger, its bad. I think?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I’ve got a Milwaukee Li-Ion now…love it

Yes, I bought one when they first came out. I loved it too. Until the batteries died after 18 months.

Since then, I’ve learned that LI is great because of hte power and light weight, but the service life of the batteries is shorter than NiCad. How much shorter depends on a varitey of factors.

Currently there are very few places that will rebuild LI packs and the cost makes it not worth the hassle. Buying new batteries can easily run more then the original cost of the tool.

I love Milwaukee tools, but I feel let down by this very short service life. I’m now buying Bosch cordless tools because they back their batteries for a full 2 years instead of only 1 year like DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc.

FDR mentioned Ridgid as well. They have a lifetime service agreement (which is different from a lifetime warrant) and IMO that makes them also worth considering.

If you want a second M18 Milwaukee drill and charger, Ralph, I’ve got one in good condition with 2 kinda-sorta-okay batteries. Yours for $50 including the case.

Grouse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.