Fall crappie and weeds

• cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I decided to hit the lake this am for some panfish action and boy did I find it.

Hit a smaller lake in search of some crappie action and maybe a few nice gills.

I worked numerous areas that typically serve me well this time of year with next to no success.

Then, I moved out to the basin of the main lake in 12-14fow and worked the weed pockets that were in the area about a ft plus tall. I had not planed on anchoring so I worked the area with my trolling motor.

For bait, a JB Lures Ju Ju tipped with a spike.

Anytime one was in the area of the deeper weeds, one could not keep the crappie off the hoook. I also tried some plastics but that presentation was not neas as effective.

After probably 75 crappie, I decided to try and locate some nice gills and it must have been my day as that also went very well.

Using the same bait, I worked the edge of the basin and the breakline and drilled some beautiful gills from 8.5 inches to near 9.5.

The eye action was slow right away this am but I did manage to pick up 2 eyes about 16-17 inches.

My neighbors will be overjoyed as they will have some great eating fish when I get them cleaned.

The key for the crappie was without a doubt the weeds. The gills were not in the weeds but not located just to far away.

Maybe tonight I may hit the river for some eye action.

Cool on the lake this am but the bite was far from cool.

Water temps were from 53-55 degrees. Cooling down nicely.

Better than catfishing BK.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Cool, nice fish day. All our fall crappies have really been structure specific, like boat house support poles and select trees.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.