Jamaica – Early Dec.

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Got a call from a friend of mine who wanted to know if I was interested in a FREE trip to Jamaica in Early Dec. He won it thru his work and because his wife could not go and he knew I had my passport he asked if i wanted to go. After checking with the other half and work its a go. Anyone ever been there? Any suggestions on things to do or see. I’d like to see about doing some Deep Sea fishing while there – Sounds like 1/2 day trips are rather reasonable. I also heard someone say something about a waterfall tour. If anyone has any idea’s or suggestions I’m open to most anything – let me know. Should be a welcome break from the cold weather if nothing else

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

1st off stay at a 3 star or better resort and make sure it’s all inclusive. Don’t get off the beaten path or you won’t come home. 1 out of every 3 people you meet will ask if you need any smoke. I hope you like jerked meat…I don’t! Lost 8 pounds while there. Research online for your fishing trip BEFORE you get there. When you leave the air port just keep walking and don’t pay any attention to the beggers.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

That’s Dunn’s waterfall it’s frecken crazy. Got into the current too deep and took my shorts right off left me free balling.

dugout
    Dubuque Ia

Need a little more information, Where are you staying? Is it all inclusive? Jamaica is a big country, need to narrow it down. I have been to sandals. If you go there the driver of the bus can get you all the party favors you want, just stay on the resort, enjoy the food, the view, the party favors, and let the stress dissappear while your there!

Tucker02
    Mn

Hi,
    I have been to Jamaica twice. It all depends on where you are at in Jamaica as for things to do. Montego bay is where you will probably fly into. It has a great margaritaville with a waterslide that dumps you into the turquise waters of the carribean. Really fun. Where ever you stay, I highly reccommend snorkeling. Lots of cool fish. You can combine this with a catamaran tour and make a half day of it. Negril imho, is the best place to go. You can go to rick’s cafe and watch or jump from the cliffs, and watch the sunset, go to seven mile beach, rent waverunners or parasail. It is really smooth in jamaica, rent from the local vendors, they will also take you fishing or snorkeling for an agreed upon price. Start low, about half of what they ask is normal. They have dunns river falls over by ochos rios which is cool but they get considerably more rain on that side of jamaica. Try the appletons rum and the blue mountain coffee but avoid the white lightning!! I am speaking from the voice of experience, it will kick your butt.Also the jerk chicken is awesome!! There are lots of tours and excursions but nothing beats the beach. Jamaica is a great time, treat the locals with respect and most will reciprocate. Have fun!!!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Yea… more info, how long, where and type of resort or package (if any) as it makes a big difference. I’ve been there couple times and love it, under the right circumstances.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Fishthumper we were there last winter and it was awsome !!!
    Only downfall was we did’nt have a non-stop flight back to Chi-Town. had to switch in Miami what a drag We stayed at Couples Swept Away in Negril. We did’nt even have to leave the resort. You could get everything you wanted right off our beach. Fishing,snorkling,cattameran,parasailing and so on. Very safe with security around all the time. 7 miles of beach to walk also. We’d go back for sure hopefully next year !!!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

We are staying at a all inclusive resort in Montego bay – Thats about all I know. I am just along for the ride. Just want to make sure to get the most out of the trip since it is mostly a free trip.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Has anyone when fishing while there?????? What can you expect in early Dec.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Here’s what you can expect

Welcome

Seasons/Fish

Your Captains

Photos

Rates

Reservations

Where To Stay

Contact Us

FISH-JAMAICA.COM DEEP SEA FISHING CHARTERS IN JAMAICA!!

Our Favorite Spots are Within 25 Miles of Treasure Beach (Some as Close as 5 Miles)

FISH
    NAME
    SEASON
    SIZE RANGE

Wahoo

Best Reel Burning Fish in Caribbean
    Excellent – November thru January

Good – Sep.- Oct., Feb thru May

Poor – June July
    30-110 lbs
    King Fish Excellent – February thru May

Good – Aug. thru January

Poor – June July
    15-60 lbs
    Mahi-Mahi

Biggest Bulls in Caribbean
    Excellent -September October

Good – Feb thru May, Aug.

Poor – June, July
    5-65 lbs
    Yellow Fin Tuna Excellent – September thru May

Good – August

Poor – June, July
    5-35 lbs
    Black Fin Tuna Excellent – September thru May

Good – August

Poor – June, July
    5-15 lbs
    Spanish Mackerel Excellent – February thru May

Good – Aug. thru January

Poor – June July
    5-20 lbs
    Bonito
    Excellent – All Year
    3-15 lbs
    Barracuda
    Excellent – All Year

5-35 lbs
    Crevalle Jack Excellent – All Year

Best Close to Shore
    10-45 lbs
    Tarpon Excellent – All Year

Best Close to Shore

Black River Fishing – Best
    25-125 lbs
    Snook Excellent – All Year

Black River Only
    5-30 lbs
    SPECIAL RARE MIGRATORY-SEASON FISH (SOUTH COAST)
    Blue Marlin Best: December – January

Sited Occasionally Thru the Year

Sail Fish Best: December – January

Sited Occasionally Thru the Year

Jamaica Fishing at its Finest! Our experienced captains will guide you to the greatest fishing spots near Treasure Beach Jamaica, on the South Coast. Using the latest GPS technology with bottom map overlay and fish finders, we take you where the fish are! We know the reefs and the wrecks. You will experience authentic Jamaican deep sea fishing in traditional fishing boats just as Jamaican’s have done for centuries, or from a modern power cruiser. There is no better fishing charter in the Caribbean for Wahoo, King Fish, Yellow Fin Tuna, and more favorites!

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Mainly Wahoo, Mackerel, and Jack. Man those Mackerel and Wahoo are too much

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

That ain’t no Northern or Crappie

mkto23
    Mankato, MN

Best advice I can give you. Jamaica is a great place but…

1.) Don’t EVER say your name to anyone or they’ll find a way to put it on something and guilt you into buying it
    2.) When they ask if this is your first time to Jamaica say NO. Then they’ll think you’ve heard all their guilt trips before…act like you know!
    3.) If you go to Dunn’s River Falls take the ferry ride out so you enter on the beach. The entrance above is full of beggers and tourist traps. I had a guy literally sit by me for 1 hour after hearing my name he put it on a wooden Bob Marley and wanted me to pay when the bus came. It was uncomfortable.
    4.) I had a blast on a tube ride down an aqua blue river in the mountains….I recommend and if you stay close to Ocho Rios the tour guides will tell you about it.

5.)Stay in populated areas and don’t go into town at night…have fun at your resort!!

Trust me you’ll have a great time but you just have to know what to do and what not….

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I have been there once. While im not real experienced there were a few things I learned.
    Stay at your resort unless on a day trip with a resort bus or such.
    The resort will have everything you need with plenty of places to eat and such right there.
    A few things to do at the resort,
    fishing- i didnt care for it much, to many people and the fishing was poor that time of year (jan)
    Take the glass boat ride- quite interesting
    snorkeling- very fun
    take a day trip to dunn river falls
    get a massage- its not the cheapest but darn it, it sure was nice
    there will be plenty of water toys to rent or use also that can be fun also.

Basically try to stay at the resort and use all of there services. When you get around the locals you will get haggled and given the guilt trip by most.

There is the good, nice, and clean parts of Jamaica and then there is the others. Try to stay out of the others if possible!!!

Have fun and report back with how it went!!!!

thegun
    mn

Jamaica was a fun trip for me and the wife! dont mind the beggars! Have a good time with them! look for some neat stuff you might want to bring home! haggle with them and you will get most things for near free! Its a hoot!

We are both certified divers! so we took a few dives! water clarity was good but views were not so good! everything has a brown green algae on it so the reef are lacking of color! Dont wast your time diving!

your time will be best spent drinking and relaxing for free at your resort! most have great night time entertainment right at your resort!

You will have fun!

have a good trip!

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Jamaica is awesome. Been there twice. As some of the others have said, do pay attention to your surroundings BUT for the most part it’s no dif from mexico or any other 3rd world country. The island is like this. 200-300 yards inland from the ocean is safe, the rest be careful. Just don’t go our to party with the locals in the middle of the night and you’ll be just fine!

I dont have any info regarding the fishing but did like the snorkeling a lot. It was pretty cool.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Jamaica was one of our favorite family trips of the last 5 years. Went 2 years ago to the Montego Bay area, stayed at an all inclusive maybe 10 miles out of town.

The people at the resorts are great. I’ve stayed at all-inclusives in other countries where the staff couldn’t care less about you. Not in Jamaica, they make you feel like family. Great people there.

I’ll add a couple things not yet mentioned. Dunns River Falls was good, but it is a physical climb up the falls. You will be waist deep or more in the water moving from falls to falls. But it was fun!!
    Near the falls is a place you can catch a ski lift up the mountain. At the top is a pool, restaurant, hiking trails. We did this and took the ZIPLINE down. Highlight of our trip. The guides were awesome and did a great job of making the trip fun. Highly recommend the zipline.

Also, around our resort, locals were catching panfish type fish. If you had a small rod/reel packed into your gear, you could pass the time fishing around the resort, never being too far from your Rum Runner or Pina Colada!!

We loved Jamaica as a family and recommend it to anyone that asks.

Eric

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.