Kidney stones

• cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Well, after a bout with the first stone hanging up in my kidney, the uroligist has decided to remove them. I have one that must be the size of a golf ball as he said it was too large to have any chance of passing.

Has anyone had this surgery and how did it go in regards to pain and recovery?

Going in tomorrow for the removal.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Laser or ultra sonic?

gary d
    cordova,il

My son said it is like hitting your self with a sludge hammer with your rubys laying down on a table. Good luck man! It will only get better.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

.. I have one that must be the size of a golf ball as he said it was too large to have any chance of passing.

That there’s funny, I don’t care who you are! Proud , aren’t ya!!(not the first word I thought of)

Seriously, you’ll do fine. It all depends on how they do it. If it’s as big as you’re alluding to, you might not even be awake for it (general anesthesia). Other methods are minimally invasive, some a bit more and require sedation, but not putting you out. Your urologist should be able to answer this better than us. Good luck though!!

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

I had one a while back. Hung up between my kidney and bladder. They gave me a screen to try and catch it. ????? Didn’t happen. A week later I had another attack, this time it hurt so bad I was puking. Stone had not moved, so they put me out, removed it without cutting me. Thats right, They went in through there

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

They went in through there

I’m going back to the snake thread.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I have had two “blasted” with ultrasound. The first time went well with some pain during the procedure but not bad. I was back to work the next day. Second time it hurt more so they gave me something for the pain. The bad part came the next day as the blasted stone parts congeled (sp) back together during the night and plugged me up bad. I had HORRIBLE pain the next morning. It was so bad I had to crawl to the car for my wife to get me to the hospital. The nurse that gave me her hand to hold still gives me grief as I busted her little finger when the pain hit. It just took getting LOTS of fluids to push through me. I was OK after a night in the hospital. I now drink over 1/2 gal of water a day. Yes, I pee all the time, but better than the stones. Has kept me clear for going on 15 years now with no problems. Good luck

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

I now drink over 1/2 gal of water a day. Yes, I pee all the time, but better than the stones. Has kept me clear for going on 15 years now with no problems. Good luck

I knew there was good reason for all those fluids!!!

Mark

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I just drank a HUGE glass of water after reading this.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Stone’s suck!!

I’ve had them 2 times .

As stated, drink LOTS and LOTS of H20

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Urologist explained to me that they will use general anesthesia and then they can do whatever. I forgot what type they are going to do but I believe it will be laser as they will blast them apart.

I really did not listen that close to what procedure they will use as I will be out as cold as a cucumber.

As long as I am out, then they can do as they please as long as it’s better in the end.

I believe he also said they are going to put a stint or tube in me also for a week plus. I dread the removal of that.

Just have to stock up on some good meds.

snake_plissken
    Central, MN

Best of luck Tom! I will be heading in for my 3rd kidney stone surgery later this month. As others have said, the recovery will vary depending on which type of procedure you are having. I can tell you this, lithotripsy would be much preferred over the “basket” method. I’ve experienced both and much prefer the sound waves breaking the stones to bits rather than having Doc shove a basket up your unit to retrieve the stone(s). Either way it’s not too bad.

If they end up putting a stent in, just make sure your couch is close to the toilet — you’ll be heading in for a wiz about every 15 minutes. Also, if you have a stent and decide to remove it yourself, I hope you have long arms. It’s amazing how long that tube is. You’ll be pulling longer than would imagine.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Honestly, the stints not as bad as passing the stones. Did I just say that

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Quote:

I had one a while back. Hung up between my kidney and bladder. They gave me a screen to try and catch it. ????? Didn’t happen. A week later I had another attack, this time it hurt so bad I was puking. Stone had not moved, so they put me out, removed it without cutting me. Thats right, They went in through there

Yes, I also use the screen but it was too large to come out.

Sick of drinking a gallon of water a day.

I hope when they go through you know what that the nurse can hold big wally.

Heck, she may be too scared to even grab the cobra.

Snake, I believe I am having the lithotripsy method. I had a buddy tell me that stint or tube is pretty long.

I have had a lobotomy, gall bladder surgery, total knee, both shoulders for rotator cuff and my appendix removed. Another knee next winter.

For some reason, this one is bothering me a bit.

I told my wife after my last surgery that, that should be it as I do not know what else could need to be fixed. Here we are 2 years later and another trip to the surgery table.

I should be all new in a few more years.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Well, for anyone who ever needs to have this kidney stone stuff dealt with, the surgery was not too bad.

I had it done yesterday at noon and was home by 6:30.

My inards feel fine but going to the bathroom to urinate is a real treat. Feels like I have a fire breathing dragon when I go. It’s much better today as I can now go with no pain at all. Next too no blood in my urine today so things must be healing up very well.

For me, it was overall a pretty simple procedure.

Well, I guess it’s alot better with some percocet also.

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Had them 5 times. Brian depends where stone is (in kidneyor on its cway to bladder.

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Hey Tom. Had them 5 times. seemed every other January. The first 4 times went up through the plumbin’ last time too big they went in through my side . had to come home with a catheter. havent had them for years. never got to have the lithotripsy tub party. Hope all is/went well. Watch out if they give you Demorol. I couldnt have found my rear even if i had both hands in my back pockets,… well i hope they were my pockets. Wil

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Quote:

Best of luck Tom! I will be heading in for my 3rd kidney stone surgery later this month. As others have said, the recovery will vary depending on which type of procedure you are having. I can tell you this, lithotripsy would be much preferred over the “basket” method. I’ve experienced both and much prefer the sound waves breaking the stones to bits rather than having Doc shove a basket up your unit to retrieve the stone(s). Either way it’s not too bad.

If they end up putting a stent in, just make sure your couch is close to the toilet — you’ll be heading in for a wiz about every 15 minutes. Also, if you have a stent and decide to remove it yourself, I hope you have long arms. It’s amazing how long that tube is. You’ll be pulling longer than would imagine.

Well, the first surgery did not work so now I can have that beautiful basket surgery and the tube put in. How I am looking forward to that procedure. I already recieved my oxy cotin prescripton for after the surgery and have some percocet left from a week ago. if that does not work, I can always smoke a dubie.

The stone is so hard that the laser would not break it up expect for a very small corner.

Then, after that appt to see if the stone was gone, I went to have my shoulder checked out as that has been in pain for a month.

Well, re-tore my rotater cuff so it’s off to get that fixed after the kidney surgery. Had that fixed 3 years ago.

Looks like my fall fishing and hunting may be done for unless I stretch the rotater cuff surgery till after deer hunting. So much for ice fishing this winter also.

The kidney surgery will be a walk in the park compared to the shoulder surgery. Thast one is a [censored] to say the least.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Tom, try 50% vinegar and 50% distilled water.

Hope you stop hurting yourself and get better!

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I agree with the % but let’s change the vinegar to whiskey.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

I agree with the % but let’s change the vinegar to whiskey.

Vinegar is not so bad after you smoke a doobie!

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Hey Tom. I know what you mean. Doc had to go up the plumbin except on the last . in through the side. The drugs made pain bearable but made me dopey. Wil

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I am hoping for dopey. Pain meds beat pain.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.