Missouri River Flood??

• phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

ok….i have read a little bit here and there, but i have not followed this all that much.

what exactly is happening? is it because of heavy rain? all the water in the dakotas?

I’m just confused what is causing this. hopefully someone can fill me in, without me having to dig around for an hour.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The Mississippi River basin has been full for a year. The Corp attempted to hold water back in the Missouri in the hopes of not flooding the downstream folks anymore than they have been. It turns out it was a bad gamble. Record snow in the Rockies and record upon record rainfalls in the Missouri river basin are causing the issue.

Here is a very good read:

Flooding

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Here is a pretty good article explaining the excessive water.

Missouri River

Don’t get this confused with the floods in Minot. That situation is caused by the same excessive rainfall but that is the Souris River Basin.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

thanks guys!

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

The snow pack is part of the issue. They claim the will be skiing until after the 4th of July! The rain into the tributaries is another. For example the White River and the Bad River feed into the Missouri and usually account for about 1% of the c.f.m. They are currently accounting for about 20%.

Todd in South Dakota

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Here is a picture from Eppley Airfield in Omaha. This is after takeoff looking back at the airfield. This picture was taken before the latest release from Gavins Point that should reach Omaha by this weekend.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

phigs-
    the above is the consequential damage part of the story.

as a bird hunter, you have also watched the phenomenal drainage of the prairie by tiling. this is going to continue to be a problem every year we are on the high side of downfall until we deal with the loss of the wetlands.

solution of this issue is not looking good. the core issue is NOT being covered by any press except DU and PF and then only gingerly because of the ag lobby.

not a good time to buy in a flood plain whatever the price…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.