Sunday on the water

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

What a beautiful Sunday we were blessed with, as big ole Lake Superior laid down flat for a majority of the day and allowed for myself, and a hundred or so other boats to get out and take advantage of such a rare occurrence.

I have the pleasure of taking Steve Hanson and his two boys Issac and Jacob out on their first Lake Superior journey. We could not have hand picked a better day as temps pushed 70 degrees and winds were non existent. We buckled down and headed out 7 miles to water that was lightly stained and touched 55 degrees.

Issac was my right hand man as he helped me let out lines and change up lures, as his brother Jacob stayed alert in the front of the boat anxiously watching and waiting for a flag to drop on the off shore boards.

About 45 minutes into the trolling game, a rod doubled over and drag peeled out. Issac jumped up and began the fight. Steve and I juggled rods about as the fish literally passed the boat by 40 feet, before leaping out of the water. 10 minutes later and with a long reach with the Frabil Conservation series net and the beauty was ours. An incredible brown that went 29 inches and pushed 10 pounds. Truly an awesome fish for a youngster and adult alike.
    Way to go buddy!!

We had a great few hours on the water, and cant wait to get these two fishing machines back out there for some more great lakes action. From watching boards, to reeling in 250 feet of line to change a lure these guys did it all!

Water temps ranged from 47 to 56, obviously warmer in the darker water. Lots and lots of debris in the water so use caution if your running 45 mph plus. Fishing was pretty tough out these this weekend, mainly due to the whole water column still being turned up from the rains of last week. As things settle here fishing should pick up. Pink and white have been working good as of late, both on spoons and sticks such as husky jerks and tail dancers.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Nice report. Thanks.
    I haven’t fished the big lake for a couple years now… After reading your report, makes me miss it even more….
    That’s a darn nice Brownie

brianjkuphal

nice job,those big trout can tire me out and im 38 and about 200 pounds,the kids got a good fish under his belt already,bet he cant wait to get back out,goodluck….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.